I'm pathetic, did 3 mins on my exercise bike and dying :'(

Replies

• DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Walk everywhere when possible and don't carry too much extra weight (like tons of grocery shopping) at the same time if you can avoid it. Walking isn't too hard and easy to fit an hour into a day some way or another. Always able to sit down or slow down if you tire.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Just remember, if it was easy none of us would've been fat in the first place. Be proud you "only" lasted 3 minutes. Tomorrow it'll be more. Next thing you know we'll be reading your story in the success forum. :happy:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Not pathetic. Everyone starts somewhere. You will have to work on your endurance and that's okay. What's important is that you get back on and keep doing what you're doing. The rest will come. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I walk for exercise. If it hurts, I'm not doing it. I am not going to stick with any change that I hate!

Something is better than nothing!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I could only do 4 minutes when I started. My legs would ache and I could watch them ripple with every pedal. I cried at how out of shape I was. Now I ride my bike pretty much everywhere.

You WILL get there. You just need to be persistent and patient.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

Read below...

I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and I just got back on my exercise bike. I did three minutes and I didn't die, and while I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail, I know I will get there again.

While I gained some of the weight in part to medication and stress, I will lose it. I will take these 3 minutes and build off of them until I'm back to 20 minutes! I can do this!

How do you feel now about what you wrote with some tweaks?

Personally I think negative self talk is how we all got here in the first place. Never refer to yourself as pathetic, even if you just say it in your head, it's not true, but you will start making yourself believe it just by saying it.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Pathetic??? BS. How many minutes did you ride yesterday? So today you did 3 minutes. Tomorrow maybe 4 or 5. In a couple of weeks you'll be blowing it away. How long did it take you to get to your current weight? 20 years. So you cannot expect to be at the finish line when you just started the race. Take your time. Do a little bit more each day. Then one day, you'll amaze yourself.

CONGRATS ON MAKING A START!!!!

This! ^^^^^^ 3 minutes today, maybe 4 tomorrow, maybe 10 next week, and so on. This is how it works. You have to show up every day and do the best you can do.:wink: Keep at it. Anybody who says this stuff is easy is lying or selling something.
  • hdacmom
    hdacmom Posts: 39 Member
    I started my journey at 275 lbs. I cried when I tried to do anything. I am about 42 lbs down at the moment, and I can walk for an hour straight, do the elliptical for 30 minutes, lift weights...so on and so on. What I am getting at is that starting is the hardest part. You have to build yourself up to 5 minutes then 10.....but if you do nothing, nothing happens. You are not pathetic! You are going to inspire.....Be an inspiration! You got this!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

The negative self-talk, that is. Because it is that nasty, niggling little voice that will convince you that all is hopeless and not to bother. This is the battle that must be fought constantly, the battle for your own mind, your own will, your SELF.

This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of your battle, but it is by far the most important. When that @sshole negative nancy tells you that 3 minutes is not good enough, you tell her to STFU. You tell her that you are worthy and she is not welcome. You tell your SELF something nice. And over time, that niggling voice will get smaller and smaller and harder to hear.

This is the basic premise of cognitive-behavioral therapy, and it works. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapeutic approach that addresses dysfunctional emotions, maladaptive behaviors and cognitive processes and contents through a number of goal-oriented, explicit systematic procedures.

Good luck to you. And congrats on 3 minutes.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I'm 20, I weigh 274lbs and just thought I'd get back on my exercise bike. Did three minutes and I'm dying, chest getting tight and hurting so I had to stop. I used to be able to do 20mins straight without fail.

Hate my disorder medication, made me gain weight with stress. I want to lose it but how can I lose the weight if even 3 minutes is a struggle?

Don't be so hard on yourself...you just need to take it slow and don't give up and you will find that those 3 minutes will turn to 5 and so on....I am a lot older than you and when I first got on the treadmill and stairmaster I could only last several minutes and was out of breath and felt like I was dying but today I can say that I am on the treadmill at 22 to 28 incline and on there for an hour!
    I am proud of myself but the point I'm making is it didn't happen overnight...I kept going back to the gym and didn't quit and now I am in much better shape than in my 20's....
    YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Keep going I was there now I am up to 6 miles in 30 min....you will get there...keep positive...:happy:
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Not pathetic, you did good by trying.

I would suggest starting off a little slower, try power walking for example. You would be amazed how much you can improve by striving to get 10,000 steps per day.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    You're not pathetic. I'm the same way. I have an exercise bike I've had since Christmas and every time I get on it I can manage only 5 minutes at most.. then I get discouraged and don't get on it again. That's my failing. I have to start thinking five minutes today, six tomorrow, etc. I know I can build it up if I don't let myself get discouraged; you can too!
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    so now do three more.....then 5 more...then 10 till you get 30...then 60. You will eventually be at it like a champ
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    For the first couple months I tried running, I'd make it about a mile before heading back home, ( alot of walking in there too) and I'd have shin splints really bad for a week or so. I'd try again, same thing. Over and over. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it and that I was too old to start trying to better myself. I didn't stop trying though and eventually the shin splints went away and I could go farther and farther each time with less walking. You and your body will adapt as you keep at it, that's the important thing - to keep at it! Do what you can do comfortably, and try and do just a little better each time. You'll get there faster than you think!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    That's 3 mins more than yesterday! Just keep going and give yourself credit for what you are doing. It's hard work, if it wasn't, we wouldn't need this support network and one another.

Good work. Keep at it.
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    what medication are you taking? I am a nurse...I know there are a bunch that make you hungry.....can you talk to your Dr about changing you to a med that might not make you feel like you are constantly famished? Are you counting carbs and calories? If you count and stick to it you can still lose the weight....you will just feel like you are starving....try filling up on salad and water.
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member

It's not pathetic! It's 3 minutes you didn't do yesterday. The first time I ever did the stepper machine at the gym I lasted a whopping 90 seconds and so did my friend, who weighed about 120 pound at the time. It's about endurance, not about being pathetic. Gradually add per day. I worked my way up to an hour on that thing, take it one pedal at a time! :):)
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    3 minutes is better than NO minutes!! Up your exercise by half minutes on the bike. Add walking to your exercise, park farther from the door than normal, take a flight of steps instead of the elevator!! SMALL STEPS EQUAL GIANT ONES!!! I was there right with you, I'm doing stuff that my athletic boyfriend can't do now!! A work in progress but don't feel defeat!! :bigsmile:
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    You know what? You friggin rock. You did three minutes on your bike - and that is infinitely more than zero minutes. Maybe you'll only do three minutes a day for a week straight. Maybe next week you'll be up to four minutes a day, maybe more! You'll be amazed at how GREAT you feel if you realize that three minutes is awesome, and you're making big life decisions, three minutes at a time.