Purposely sweating off water weight

I'm referring to using saunas or working out in warm clothing. What is the point of doing this? Is it just for people who weigh in for one reason or another or can it actually make you look slimmer temporarily? Like for an event where you're showing a lot of skin or wearing something tight?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    its just temporary weight loss yea, its useful for people in bodybuilding competitions and sports like wrestling where there are weight ins. although saunas do have other benefits, working out in warm clothing is kinda dumb IMO

eta; losing water weight will make you look slimmer temporarily, i missed that question in your post initially
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    competitive weight lifters, boxer, MMA fighers etc. any sport that has weight classes will do that. Back in the day, it was believed you could sweat out impurities and toxins in the body. It can also be relaxing to just sit in a sauna and open up those pores.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Hm. I've never considered sitting in a steam room for weight loss. I just like it because it's warm.
  • Mmmmmm....sauna....say it again! =)

That's a good question. I've never actually considered that for weight LOSS, because usually you replace what you sweat out by drinking water later on so it seems kinda moot, but wrestlers do it so they can hit that magic number. I would imagine if you sweat a lot in a sauna you would just pee less and your body makes up for it by conserving water that way?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I was an athletic trainer in college. We had a National Champion wrestling team. Those guys would tape up their rubberized sweat suits and take an exercise bike into the sauna. Crazy! And, they would do it for hours, after a strenuous wrestling practice in a warm room.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Its good for the skin, and cleansing out impurities and toxins like mentioned before...also if you want to temporarily lose a few pounds of water weight for whatever reason, it helps.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    I love the sauna after an intense session!

I also hold onto a lot of excessive water so it helps me from feeling like a hot air balloon.