Steam Summer Sale

Matrix_Dragon
Matrix_Dragon Posts: 33 Member
For all my PC MfP Gamers.

The steam summer sale is here... This is when we hide our wallets and hope we don't end up increasing our ever expanding backlogs.

Replies

• Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    I have 406 games on Steam already so it's going to be very easy to avoid the summer sale since my backlog is huge.

PS That's a complete lie. Though the fact that I already have most of the games that I'm interested in is the only thing saving me now. :drinker:
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Well, looks like the wife is going to be mad at me very shortly. Always happens around Steam sales...
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    I'm trying to use the same moderation I apply to weight loss to the Steam Sale. I am only buying games I know I want to play and will likely make an effort to play. For example, I bought Far Cry 3 because I have heard great things about it and I have never played any far cry games. I chose to contian myself and not buy DMC because what I really want is Darksiders 1 and 2 which have similar combat styles but more depth of story. I didn't buy Xcom, even though I have heard it is a great game, just because I don't think I'll end up playing it compared to other games in the backlog. My budget for the entire sale is like $75, so I have to pick and choose.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    I've only had steam for a short time. I will peruse the sale when I get home. I'm really into The Forest right now though.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Well, ended up getting a classic game (Ikaruga) on Steam just to "steamerize it." Barely beat the first level by the skin of my teeth and ended up with a C+ rank for my trouble. This isn't going to end well. :O
  • RINat612
    I checked it out yesterday. Sins of the Solar Empire for $8. WTF! I bought that game like 4 months ago for $50!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FML!
  • en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Picked up the entire Far Cry collection for less than $15 yesterday. I've been playing Blood Dragon for 80's style VHS fun times.
  • Slimithy
    Picked up Darksiders 1 & 2 on a Community Sale. I started DS2 on my 360 before I sold if and really liked it. Looking forward to playing it all the way through. Also picked up Borderlands 2 and really liking it.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    God help me. I'm a hardcore indie gamer, and the Steam sales were MADE for me. I still have a ton of **** I haven't played from the winter sale. But I will say that I picked up Banished, and it was a great, great choice. I've already wasted like fifteen hours on it. I love me some straightforward city builders. Also snagged The Wolf Among Us (I love Fables and I also love what TellTale did with TWD, so that was a no-brainer,) Rogue Legacy (which I passed up on last winter and have been kicking myself about ever since,) Papers Please, Risk of Rain and.. the Witcher 2. I don't know, it was like three bucks and I felt like a good RPG.

Steam has ruined me. I can't bring myself to buy a PS4 because sixty bucks a game? Are you HIGH??
  • jherobinson
    jherobinson Posts: 27 Member
    I've completely avoided the Steam sale so far...

Until I read this thread...

...dammit
  • en4cerd43
    God help me. I'm a hardcore indie gamer, and the Steam sales were MADE for me. I still have a ton of **** I haven't played from the winter sale. But I will say that I picked up Banished, and it was a great, great choice. I've already wasted like fifteen hours on it. I love me some straightforward city builders. Also snagged The Wolf Among Us (I love Fables and I also love what TellTale did with TWD, so that was a no-brainer,) Rogue Legacy (which I passed up on last winter and have been kicking myself about ever since,) Papers Please, Risk of Rain and.. the Witcher 2. I don't know, it was like three bucks and I felt like a good RPG.

Steam has ruined me. I can't bring myself to buy a PS4 because sixty bucks a game? Are you HIGH??

To play Devil's Advocate, PS4 has plenty of indy games and several get offered free as part of Playstation Plus. That said, Sony's sales do not come close to what you can get on Steam. I've got about 200 games and have played maybe 40 of them. They keep piling up, I keep buying more and I know that I'll never actually play them all.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    To play Devil's Advocate, PS4 has plenty of indy games and several get offered free as part of Playstation Plus. That said, Sony's sales do not come close to what you can get on Steam. I've got about 200 games and have played maybe 40 of them. They keep piling up, I keep buying more and I know that I'll never actually play them all.

Yeah, see, that's my problem. Traditionally, consoles have been much less accessible to indie devs than PC, for obvious reasons, but I'm really happy to see those markets opening up a little? PSN and Microsoft both have some interesting options for indie devs - the fact that each Xbox One is also a debug unit is really encouraging - and I'd like to spend more time exploring those titles and thereby supporting those devs, but it's still relying on a flawed distribution model that hasn't caught up with how rapidly gaming's changing. And half the time they're ports anyway, so.

But yeah, price is the biggest factor for me. I can be as high and mighty about the ethics and implications of game dev as I want, but the fact remains that I can play p much every kick-*kitten* indie game of the past five years on a mid-range non-gaming laptop for next to nothing with modern distribution. It's not just Steam anymore, which is the real kicker. It's the Humble Store and GoG and even Amazon and the way these companies are competing to keep up with Steam's chokehold on the market, and that competition is SO good. It's healthy, and we're starting to see now a distribution culture that is more on the consumer's terms, rather than the publisher, and that's good for us, good for devs, good for games.

For me, the console age is dead. Long live digital distribution and open development.
  • en4cerd43

For me, the console age is dead. Long live digital distribution and open development.

Too true.

The console market has to further (or fully) embrace digital distribution. Failure to adapt will lead to the death of consoles. I think pressure from retail outlets is what is keeping them from evolving to the next level. I doubt we'll ever see a PS5 or a new Xbox. The next generation should be full blown PCs with a functional operating system and should be able to be upgraded by the end-user.
  • RINat612
    Wait Banished was on sale? It was on my wish list and I never got an email. Son of a .... :explode:

This summer sale is pissing me off! :sad:
  • Slimithy

Too true.

The console market has to further (or fully) embrace digital distribution. Failure to adapt will lead to the death of consoles. I think pressure from retail outlets is what is keeping them from evolving to the next level. I doubt we'll ever see a PS5 or a new Xbox. The next generation should be full blown PCs with a functional operating system and should be able to be upgraded by the end-user.

I have to say I love my PS4 and I've loved the indies that are on it, Resogun being one of the best titles on the platform. You're right about digital distribution though. Sony and Microsoft want us to buy the digital copies, but don't want to make deep discounts even though there are so many restrictions when you buy a digital copy of a console version. I can't resell it, I can't play the game on my other brand of console, no mods, the consoles have abandoned backwards compatibility whihc means there is a date in the future where I can't play the title, and in the future game developers shut down servers...
  • en4cerd43

I have to say I love my PS4 and I've loved the indies that are on it, Resogun being one of the best titles on the platform. You're right about digital distribution though. Sony and Microsoft want us to buy the digital copies, but don't want to make deep discounts even though there are so many restrictions when you buy a digital copy of a console version. I can't resell it, I can't play the game on my other brand of console, no mods, the consoles have abandoned backwards compatibility whihc means there is a date in the future where I can't play the title, and in the future game developers shut down servers...

Resogun just got a major update. They really kicked it up a notch.

Has anyone played Blackguards? Is it worth picking up for $14?
  • NWright191
    NWright191 Posts: 33 Member
    Well, I guess I'm "lucky" in that I have no money to spend on the sale. Doesn't mean I don't drool every time I start it up though. If only I was as good at saving money as I'm getting at saving calories :-p
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Wait Banished was on sale? It was on my wish list and I never got an email. Son of a .... :explode:

Same here that was one of the games I really wanted to try. I looked at my wish list and almost all of it's on sale and no email. I didn't even know steam summer sale was going on, been on origin playing dragon age.
  • RINat612

Same here that was one of the games I really wanted to try. I looked at my wish list and almost all of it's on sale and no email. I didn't even know steam summer sale was going on, been on origin playing dragon age.

Both Child of Light and Banner Saga were on sale yesterday. No email. I did see it in time but the discount was crappy (like 20%) so I'll keep waiting. I want those titles but I'm not going to pay more than $5.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    I got some games, but behaved for the most part.