Zucchini anyone? How do you prepcare it?

Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    hi! I bought a zuchinni shreder... it cuts it as if it were pasta... i eat it raw.. with tuna.. and vegetables... it really works. :)

Really? I am intrigued by 1) a zucchini shredder and 2) eating it raw. Hmmm.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Steam it, then add a little bit of butter, salt, pepper, fresh dill and fresh lemon juice.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Just make it how you did last time --- but don't cook it for so long. The longer you cook it, and the more you stir it around, the mushier it will get. I just slice it and put it in a pan with some seasoning. 5ish mins? I don't even remember. Just take a little piece every few minutes and try it until you like the consistency. The slicer I use cuts them into 1/4" thick pieces.

Good luck! Some of these other ideas are really good, too. =D

Edited to add: Drain it when you are done cooking it, or use a slotted spoon to serve. It will be a tad watery no matter what unless you grill it.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    I sweat my zucchini noodles over night in a strainer over a bowl tossed in salt. Then the next day I cook them dry in a pan for two minutes on medium high. I then turn it to medium low, put in a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and pepper. I toss it around for another 5-8 minutes. Much firmer. Much less water.

Edited to add that I use a $15 spiralizer from Amazon.com to make my noodles.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    This is how I made it last night:
    Take a couple zucchhini and cut them lengthwise, then in to slices.
    Toss them in a non-stick (I use ceramic) frying pan with some garlic salt and pepper (I used white pepper). I do NOT add any oil.
    Turn the heat on high and let them get brown on each side. They will start to burn to the bottom of the pan a little. At that point I add a little water – maybe ¼ cup or so – just enough to loosen the browned stuff from the bottom of the pan. Cover it and let the zucchini soften a little. Serve.
    1 cup = 18 calories.

I do the same sautee/steam technique on all my veggies and sometimes even with certain meats- it tastes really good and is a good way to reduce the amount of calories you add to your food (before I would use SOO much butter on my veggies).

Also, IMHO, you can't go wrong by adding sauteed onions to zucchini. very yum.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Little trick to get a bit of the excess moisture out--once sliced, cubed, shredded, whatever, put them in a bowl and sprinkle a bit of salt on the zucchini. Let it sit for a little while, and then wrap in a cheese cloth or paper towel and squeeze the excess water out! The salt draws out the water a little bit, so makes them less mushy when you cook.

Other than that, I agree with the spiralizer suggestion! I just got one and have made zoodles about 5 times this week-it'samazing! Just spiralize, toss in a pan with a little olive oil, and add some toppings!
  • allnamesgone
    allnamesgone Posts: 19 Member
    I find that it's mostly the seedy part that gets mushy so I scoop them out before roasting, grilling, or whatever.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    I slice in half lengthwise, spray on Pam and put a small amount of parmesan cheese on top. Bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then broil a few minutes to brown and toast up the parmesan cheese.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    PEEL THE ZUCCHINI LIKE A POTATO BUT THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE SQUASH. LAY OUT PLASTIC WRAP ON THE COUNTER. PLACE THE ZUCCHINI IN A WEAVE FORMATION ON THE PLASTIC COAT A PIECE OF FRESH SALMON WITH DJON MUSTARD AND PLACE IN THE CENTER OF THE ZUCCHINI ROLL THE PLASTIC OVER THE FISH TO COAT THE FISH WITH THE ZUCCINI (THE MUSTARD MAKES IT STICK) PAN SEAR EACH SIDE 2 MINUTES. ADD 1/4 WATER AND COVER DO THIS ON BOTH SIDES....

DELICIOUS.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Baked parmesan zucchini chips. Yum.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    If grilling zucchini on the BBQ, keep it whole. In fact, do all veggies this way (except peppers). They lose less juice and nutrients. You can coat them in a bit of oil/salt/pepper first. Rotate every so often and poke a fork in to test for doneness. Less prep work :wink:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    If you sauté, don't crowd the pan, that's what gets it mushy. Don't cover it either. Keep it moving and use a medium high heat.

I do mine (yellow squash as well) with some onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and use butter and olive oil combined. I like to toss some fresh basil in at the end.

It's just about that season, I picked my 1st 2 zuch and 2 yellow squash yesterday!
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    I take mine and cut long ways scoop out a little of the middle, put bruschetta in to fill and sprinkle with grated parmesan bake in the oven until tender - zucchini boats....yum. You can also use shreaded chicken seasoned with taco seasoning and fill them, top with a little cheese and taco sauce - tacos no shell....
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Cut them in to sticks and toss with olive oil, grated garlic and dried oregano. Absolutely delicious baked until nicely golden on both sides.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Zucchini-2/Detail.aspx?soid=carousel_0_rotd&prop24=rotd

I use extra lean ground beef and a higher end spaghetti sauce like gia russa which has no added sugar, turns out really well. I use half the breadcrumbs to reduce the calories a bit. If i recall it ends up being around 350-400 calories for two halves
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I take mine and cut long ways scoop out a little of the middle, put bruschetta in to fill and sprinkle with grated parmesan bake in the oven until tender - zucchini boats....yum. You can also use shreaded chicken seasoned with taco seasoning and fill them, top with a little cheese and taco sauce - tacos no shell....

Gonna try this one, it sounds good!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Cooked it too long, I love to sauté mine with seasonings and onions and peppers, sometimes some yellow squash. Cook the onions and peppers down to sweat first then add the zucchini and only cook for a couple minutes(I like it tender crisp). For a lunch I'll add precooked steak strips to it! My favorite!!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Slice lengthwise into quarters, then cut into 1/3 inch thick slices and nuke for two minutes. I highly suggest using a bowl for this. After that, you can toss them into a medium to high heat pan, on top of your freezer aisle pizza, etc with the exception of baking.

By far my favorite thing to do with zukes is dip those puppies in dry Shore Lunch and toss 'em in the oven with a thin coating of butter on the cookie sheet.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I saute in a pan with a little oil, or roast, or grill. And of course, shredding it for my zucchini bread.
  • Chunkhotep
    Chunkhotep Posts: 16 Member
    This is not the most healthy way (maybe you can modify it, or bake them), but it by far the most popular thing I ever make. Everyone, including kids who hate vegetables, can't get enough of these. (probably because they are fried, lol)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Zucchini-Patties-with-Feta-238266