Stuff that surprises you after losing weight

kk_140
kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
Today I have been thinking about this a lot. A few things have surprised me as I lose weight, here are a few to start:

1.) I started to be able to feel/see bones I did not know were okay to feel/see much faster than anticipated!

2.) It doesn't take a lot of weight loss in order to drop a clothing size

3.) My knees hurt when they knock together at night because my thighs no longer stop them from touching

4.) I'm always cold

5.) I don't look as small as I thought I would at 129 pounds. In my head 129 pounds was so itsy bitsy lol

What about ya'll? Any surprises along the way so far?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    How I can see why people think I look muscular is my main one?

Also the smaller you get the more your blood can flow to where it needs to be in a situation.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    I remember when I first started losing weight, I was always so concerned about seeing my collarbone, to me... that was too skinny. But now, I realize it's not, it's normal. But now, at a normal weight, I still find myself rubbing at my collarbone all self-consciously.

Another thing - those feelings that you had as a fat person don't go away, just because you're a skinny person. It still takes a lot of work inside.
  • 1. cold!
    2. ya I don't feel I look that small, not 129 pounds but I've dropped over 100 pounds....
    3. people that were jealous, I'm not saying that as fiction, some of my close friends/family told me that they were jealous...crazy...
    4. believing that I fit the jeans hanging in my closet... funny but when I hold them up and look at them, they still look small to me
    5. how much easier it is to run...
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Just today I noticed that it takes less time and sunscreen to lotion up for the pool. I was a little bit excited about that, but then again, it doesn't take much to make me happy. :laugh:
  • kk_140
    I remember when I first started losing weight, I was always so concerned about seeing my collarbone, to me... that was too skinny. But now, I realize it's not, it's normal. But now, at a normal weight, I still find myself rubbing at my collarbone all self-consciously.

Another thing - those feelings that you had as a fat person don't go away, just because you're a skinny person. It still takes a lot of work inside.

My sister-in-law took a photo of my kissing my niece and my neck looked so weird in it! I could see the tendons and muscles in it and my collar bone was sticking out funny lol. Everyone said it looks normal but to me it was like "Who's weird bumpy alien neck is that!"
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    It's always a bit weird seeing these teeny clothes in my closet, and realizing that they fit. I am also surprised at how I look. I'm 152-151ish, and I keep feeling/seeing all these bones. I didn't really that they would show. I think I have a more accurate view of weight, now.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    I wish I lost enough weight to feel like that. but hey, when your top floats around you without your hips getting on the way it feels pretty good too :)
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member

My sister-in-law took a photo of my kissing my niece and my neck looked so weird in it! I could see the tendons and muscles in it and my collar bone was sticking out funny lol. Everyone said it looks normal but to me it was like "Who's weird bumpy alien neck is that!"

Haha, yeah! Now I'm not too self-conscious about it, but it took a while to get used to.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    A lot of great stuff named here. I can relate to a lot of it, too!

My legs from mid-thigh to ankle look like someone else's legs to me. I don't often compare my body to other women but on more than one occasion I've looked at a woman's legs in leggings or running pants and thought "she has nice long athletic legs" and then realized looking into a mirror that her legs looked very similar to mine. It is hard for that to compute in my head where I still have huge legs and calves that did not fit into boots easily.
  • poodlenoodlemuffin
    poodlenoodlemuffin Posts: 23 Member

1.) I started to be able to feel/see bones I did not know were okay to feel/see much faster than anticipated!

This ^ The rest of me is still really flabby, but the back of my shoulders are now boney, which feels really odd!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    How I can see why people think I look muscular is my main one?

Also the smaller you get the more your blood can flow to where it needs to be in a situation.

:laugh:

Anyway. Yeah, I'm knock-kneed. The difference between being able to sleep on my side without having to put a bit of blanket between my knees is only a few pounds. Wish my belly fat would take a hint from my leg fat!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I started reaching for my lace up shoes instead of the slip ons. I used to hate bending over to get them tied.
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    I have a neck and normal looking ankles.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    yep, being cold. and not sweating much.
  • kk_140
    Not having to worry about what I wear, I can wear anything now and not feel self conscious.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    booths, rides, theater seats, etc...they always fit. Always. That is still a foreign concept to me.

To this day, every time I approach a booth in a restaurant it looks very small to me and I think, "Ok this is the one. This is the one that is still going to be small for me and my boobs and belly will be smushed up against the table".

But it's not.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    before-and-after.gif
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member

before-and-after.gif

A little bit of this some days, too.

And it surprises me how tight my jeans get when I eat a big meal. I got used to elastic for way too long!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    booths, rides, theater seats, etc...they always fit. Always. That is still a foreign concept to me.

To this day, every time I approach a booth in a restaurant it looks very small to me and I think, "Ok this is the one. This is the one that is still going to be small for me and my boobs and belly will be smushed up against the table".

But it's not.

I still cringe on the way to Booth seats!!! As soon as I saw this thread I instantly thought about "fitting in booths".

You will relate to this I bet - I still do the classic "check to see if table at booth is attached to floor or not".

Other surprises:

• Down a fitted cap size
    • Down a shoe size
    • Attention from the women-folk
    • backseat seat belts fitting!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    This is probably TMI and I apologize in advance to the squeemish but, I had to use special wipes after using the toilet because I couldn't get myself clean. I haven't had to use those wipes in a long time!