Please take a look

2»

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    [/quote]

Yes, these are items I am cooking myself...I don't tend to use dressings to season, however, I get on the scale and I weigh exactly the same every single time.

Many people have weight variations of a few pounds in a single day. It is nearly impossible to balance to an exact weight being the same every time you weigh yourself over a period of months.

A new scale maybe?
  • Selena125t
    Selena125t Posts: 41 Member
    Your diary screams inaccuracy.

You have something called a burrito scramble with egg every morning. Exactly the same portion, exactly the same amount of calories. Do you weigh out exactly how much of each ingredient goes into this every morning, or do you just throw it together and assume it's close to your usual portion? You'd be better off individually weighing each ingredient you put into this. The recipe builder is useful for when you're making a batch of something for more than one person, but even then, you should weigh out exactly 1/3 or whatever of the whole thing. Your breakfast is not exactly 181 calories every morning without being precise about it.

"Homemade stew" - did you make this, or choose a random homemade thing in the database?

0.25 cup steamed broccoli. I don't know anyone that would eat 1/4 cup of steamed broccoli at once. It's like...two pieces.

"Homemade maple almond butter" - 1 serving, always. How are you measuring this serving?

You did not get to be 64 lb overweight and maintain being 64 lb overweight by eating 800-1400 calories a day. It isn't happening. Get back to the basics, log everything you eat, weigh everything, be precise. Every gram of food that enters your mouth goes in the log. No measuring cups, no eyeballing, no random database entries.

I do in fact measure my breakfast every morning. I use the recipe builder in order to save time on meals I know will be repeated.
    And i did eat only 2 pieces of broccoli because I had a serving of steamed carrots as well - I was full.
    You are underestimating your calorie for foods. I'll bet if you weighed everything that went into that homemade beef stew, 2 cups would be more more than 256 calories. Beef is high in calories anyway, as are the potatoes. Also 7.5 ounces of chicken for 200 calories or thereabouts? I don't think so. It could be that you are choosing incorrect entries as well.

Your exercise routine has nothing to do with losing weight, but it does help burn calories. The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.

Also, nobody burns 450 calories in 60 minutes of circuit training. How in did you come up with that number? My guess is you used the MFP database, which has overly exaggerated burn numbers. You can't even use a heart rate monitor to measure weight lifting/circuit training/high intensity interval training because what you're doing is not steady state.

So, at 207 pounds, are you trying to lose weight or maintain or gain?

Oh, protein does not make you gain weight, just as carbs, sugars, and fats don't. It's all in the calories, though nutrition is important for overall health.

The MFP database has 60 minutes of circuit training burning 750 calories, so my estimate of 450 is quite less, but even though I am guessing at calories burned, I'm not eating back those calories, so really I'm just tracking my activity.

What blows my mind is that none of these answers aside from maybe 2 or 3 are encouraging me to continue the effort of tracking what I eat and how much exercise; I'm not looking for a pat on the back because I've decided to commit to an active life by exercising 45 minutes 5 days a week or because I choose to consume whole foods, less processed items and that I have no entries consisting of McDonalds or Wendys.
    I feel that I came to you for advice and sometimes when you give criticism it helps to include a little praise for something that is done correctly.
    If I wasn't sure of my own willpower and motivation, some of the answers here would make me want to just give up considering I know that my diary has me at 1290 calories max, number 1, and I know that I rarely eat more than that unless I have been active and even then I cut the amount of calories burned by half and I don't eat them back. So to everyone who keeps insinuating that I am stuffing my face: how many more calories shall I cut from 1290? If I wasn't accurately logging my food, wouldn't it be a bit incredulous to sit here and ask why I'm not seeing results? I wouldn't have to ask - the answer would be obvious.
    But still I appreciate everyone taking their time to answer. I'm sure you meant well, but I haven't read an answer yet that makes a light bulb go off.
  • Selena125t
    Selena125t Posts: 41 Member
    If I add my two cents, it would be this.
    Don't worry about loosing weight.. but make sure of two things.
    #1 Your calorie intake stays the same.
    #2 Your strength goes up.

Here's why.
    As long as your strength goes up, I would assume, you would be increasing your muscles
    Muscles requires food.
    The more muscles you have the more food it will require.
    but as long as you don't increase your calorie intake the food will come internally.
    Thanks...I am going to keep going and keep increasing my reps. It's a big change for me because I haven't had a regular exercise regimen in years.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    What is your TDEE?
  • RJKontos
    RJKontos Posts: 17 Member
    Do more cardio. I lost weight by power walking first, 45 minutes every day. Now, I've added some strength training and doing things slowly.
    To be honest, I log everything, without being obsessed with logging every gram I eat. It still works. Do it in your own time, continue your exercise, add some cardio to lose fat and you'll be fine.

Take care!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I looked through the last week of your diary and one thing that really stood out to me is that a majority of your entries are in cups, individual pieces (like the strawberries) and a lot of your fruits and veggies are listed in generic sizes like small/medium/large. It would be really beneficial for you to get a food scale to weigh all solid foods (in grams) to make sure that your calorie count is accurate. Also make sure to weigh meats raw. I was surprised to see how much of a difference it made calorie wise.

Also avoid any entries that say homemade, generic or just use a generic "x servings" as a measurement. Your generic chicken breast on 18 June is a good example of an inaccurate entry.

When adding a new food, double check the labels when you enter food when you can to make sure that you are using the correct entry. As great as MFP's database is, there are a lot of inaccurate or outdated entries.

Everything looks great, it just looks like you may be eating more than you think without even realizing it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    What blows my mind is that none of these answers aside from maybe 2 or 3 are encouraging me to continue the effort of tracking what I eat and how much exercise; I'm not looking for a pat on the back because I've decided to commit to an active life by exercising 45 minutes 5 days a week or because I choose to consume whole foods, less processed items and that I have no entries consisting of McDonalds or Wendys.
    I feel that I came to you for advice and sometimes when you give criticism it helps to include a little praise for something that is done correctly.
    If I wasn't sure of my own willpower and motivation, some of the answers here would make me want to just give up considering I know that my diary has me at 1290 calories max, number 1, and I know that I rarely eat more than that unless I have been active and even then I cut the amount of calories burned by half and I don't eat them back. So to everyone who keeps insinuating that I am stuffing my face: how many more calories shall I cut from 1290? If I wasn't accurately logging my food, wouldn't it be a bit incredulous to sit here and ask why I'm not seeing results? I wouldn't have to ask - the answer would be obvious.
    But still I appreciate everyone taking their time to answer. I'm sure you meant well, but I haven't read an answer yet that makes a light bulb go off.

I believe your diary does contain inaccuracies as others have pointed out. People ask this all the time on here and are not logging accurately. If you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. No one has insinuated that you stuff your face, they have just stated that your logging may contain inaccuracies. Generic - Roma tomato - medium...That was used a couple times, same calories...the thing with that entry is no two roma tomatoes are identical. They will each weigh and have different caloric amounts. 1 medium may be 35 calories, and the tomato you use may actually be 50 calories. So if that is happening a few times a day, that is added calories that are not being logged. If you cooked meat, did you use a spray/butter/oil in your pan to cook it in? Is that amount logged?

I know you say you appreciate everyone taking time to answer, but you seem to be upset that for every reply that someone took the time out of their day to try to help, to look at your diary, that they didn't also praise you for something. I'm sorry, people are here to help, and sometimes that help is praise and sometimes, it's flat out this is what we see/think may be going on. People have offered their opinions/suggestions and you don't think they are correct. So I would advise if you are 100% accurate in your logging, maybe you should get a full physical with your MD and discuss why you are not losing weight with them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Invest in a food scale (they range from $12-$30 depending on brand). Start weighing all your food rather than measure (or as much as you can).

Log everything and do it everyday and see how that helps. Also keep in mind that MFP burns tend to be a bit inflated. Try double checking the #s with another calorie burn calculator or think about switching to the TDEE Method.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

You have something called a burrito scramble with egg every morning. Exactly the same portion, exactly the same amount of calories. Do you weigh out exactly how much of each ingredient goes into this every morning, or do you just throw it together and assume it's close to your usual portion? You'd be better off individually weighing each ingredient you put into this. The recipe builder is useful for when you're making a batch of something for more than one person, but even then, you should weigh out exactly 1/3 or whatever of the whole thing. Your breakfast is not exactly 181 calories every morning without being precise about it.

"Homemade stew" - did you make this, or choose a random homemade thing in the database?

0.25 cup steamed broccoli. I don't know anyone that would eat 1/4 cup of steamed broccoli at once. It's like...two pieces.

"Homemade maple almond butter" - 1 serving, always. How are you measuring this serving?

You did not get to be 64 lb overweight and maintain being 64 lb overweight by eating 800-1400 calories a day. It isn't happening. Get back to the basics, log everything you eat, weigh everything, be precise. Every gram of food that enters your mouth goes in the log. No measuring cups, no eyeballing, no random database entries.

I do in fact measure my breakfast every morning. I use the recipe builder in order to save time on meals I know will be repeated.
    And i did eat only 2 pieces of broccoli because I had a serving of steamed carrots as well - I was full.
    You are underestimating your calorie for foods. I'll bet if you weighed everything that went into that homemade beef stew, 2 cups would be more more than 256 calories. Beef is high in calories anyway, as are the potatoes. Also 7.5 ounces of chicken for 200 calories or thereabouts? I don't think so. It could be that you are choosing incorrect entries as well.

Your exercise routine has nothing to do with losing weight, but it does help burn calories. The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.

Also, nobody burns 450 calories in 60 minutes of circuit training. How in did you come up with that number? My guess is you used the MFP database, which has overly exaggerated burn numbers. You can't even use a heart rate monitor to measure weight lifting/circuit training/high intensity interval training because what you're doing is not steady state.

Oh, protein does not make you gain weight, just as carbs, sugars, and fats don't. It's all in the calories, though nutrition is important for overall health.

The MFP database has 60 minutes of circuit training burning 750 calories, so my estimate of 450 is quite less, but even though I am guessing at calories burned, I'm not eating back those calories, so really I'm just tracking my activity.

Lol you sound like my 9 year old when he asks me for help. Check the ego. You asked for help and got a great answer that was thoughtful and researched for you. Cripes
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member

I believe your diary does contain inaccuracies as others have pointed out. People ask this all the time on here and are not logging accurately. If you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. No one has insinuated that you stuff your face, they have just stated that your logging may contain inaccuracies. Generic - Roma tomato - medium...That was used a couple times, same calories...the thing with that entry is no two roma tomatoes are identical. They will each weigh and have different caloric amounts. 1 medium may be 35 calories, and the tomato you use may actually be 50 calories. So if that is happening a few times a day, that is added calories that are not being logged. If you cooked meat, did you use a spray/butter/oil in your pan to cook it in? Is that amount logged?

I know you say you appreciate everyone taking time to answer, but you seem to be upset that for every reply that someone took the time out of their day to try to help, to look at your diary, that they didn't also praise you for something. I'm sorry, people are here to help, and sometimes that help is praise and sometimes, it's flat out this is what we see/think may be going on. People have offered their opinions/suggestions and you don't think they are correct. So I would advise if you are 100% accurate in your logging, maybe you should get a full physical with your MD and discuss why you are not losing weight with them.

QFT
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    If I add my two cents, it would be this.
    Don't worry about loosing weight.. but make sure of two things.
    #1 Your calorie intake stays the same.
    #2 Your strength goes up.

Here's why.
    As long as your strength goes up, I would assume, you would be increasing your muscles
    Muscles requires food.
    The more muscles you have the more food it will require.
    but as long as you don't increase your calorie intake the food will come internally.
    Thanks...I am going to keep going and keep increasing my reps. It's a big change for me because I haven't had a regular exercise regimen in years.

Bad idea to increase reps.
    Increase in weight and do lower reps.. that will build muscles
  • Try cardio. I'm no expert but I think cardio is the best way to burn fat. You wouldn't see any result of the muscle you are gaining until you get rid the fat. Try running, dancing, skipping, walking, jogging etc :) always muscle weigh more than fat so that could change your results on the scale. I don't know what else to say except be patient and continue in the right path. :D
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Try cardio. I'm no expert but I think cardio is the best way to burn fat. You wouldn't see any result of the muscle you are gaining until you get rid the fat. Try running, dancing, skipping, walking, jogging etc :) always muscle weigh more than fat so that could change your results on the scale. I don't know what else to say except be patient and continue in the right path. :D

Everything you have posted above is wrong, except the last sentence.
    Weight lifting is best for burning fat; cardio is for endurance.
    She will not be gaining muscle while in deficit.
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is far more dense than fat.

OP, Be patient and keep going like she has truthfully stated!
  • belle165
    belle165 Posts: 16 Member
    I suggest sandwiching in two walks a day of 10 minutes each. It's a small new habit, but it works wonders over time.

Also, it seems like you are eating lots of veggies, so I don't know why you would need to take extra fiber and I see it twice a day many days. Just a thought.

Hang in there!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

Nobody is criticizing you, we are simply replying to your questions and your diary.

Trust me, you are underestimating calories. Even 450 calories for circuit training is overestimated/ There is no shame in this, as we've all done this before. It's part of the trial and error.

You can do all the circuit training you want, and eat a certain way that works for you, but if you don't eat at a calorie deficit you will not lose weight.

The best of luck on your journey.