Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup!

twopaulines
twopaulines Posts: 55 Member
Hi, my name is SHannon and I'm a soup-a-holic. So I fell in love with the lemon chicken orzo soup at Panera and was determined to recreate it. It turned so so yumm. I'll share the recipe with you so you can try it out! I weighed everything with a digital food scale that actually gives you the calories. The best thing I've ever bought.

1.4lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (851 calories)
6oz Orzo pasta (600 calories) (feel free to substitute for brown rice)
4 cups Fat Free Chicken broth (200 calories)
24 oz Water
1 large lemon (20 calories)
1 medium yellow onion (40 calories)
1/2 can Seasons Collard greens (15 calories) I didn't have fresh :/
1/2 cup shredded carrots (10 calories)
1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 heaping tbsp minced garlic

Cube the chicken breasts. Quarter the lemon, squeeze all juices into the pot, then add the remaining rinds to the pot. Add broth, water, and onion. Bring to a boil and add your chicken,garlic, salt and pepper. Allow chicken to cook down (approximately 10 minutes) and skim the fat from the top. Add remaining ingredients (orzo, collards, carrots and cayenne).

Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to low-medium and cover. Allow this to sit and simmer for approximately 35 mins. You will see the orzo get large. That's when you know it's done.

This recipe makes approximately 13 cups (1,716 calories) of soup at about 132 calories per cup.

Replies

• Bungo_Berries
    Bungo_Berries Posts: 3 Member
    Sounds absolutely delicious!! I also love my food scale, I use it every day :)
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Sounds delicious! I first fell in love with lemon chicken soup at a Greek restaurant so I'll definitely be trying this recipe when the weather cools off. Thanks for sharing!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Soup sounds amazing and may I ask where you got your scale???
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    I will definitely be trying this soup. Thanks for posting the recipe along with the calories.
  • twopaulines
    twopaulines Posts: 55 Member
    Soup sounds amazing and may I ask where you got your scale???

Thanks guys, it is delicious. Lemon is my favorite flavor and scent. It only made sense to combine them in soup (thank you Panera! lol)

I got the scale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It is a digital scale that has over 2,000 foods (basic foods, wine, brand cereals) and ALL the nutrition info preloaded (calories, fat, carbs, sodium, iron, potassium, etc). You type in a code then weigh your food. It gives you the details of the serving you want. Also, it allows you to add an additional 99 custom foods. It was $40, but if you sign up for the bed bath and beyond coupon with your email, you will get 20% off. The BEST thing I've ever bought.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    I will definitely be trying this soup. Thanks for posting the recipe along with the calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Bump - that is my favorite soup at Panera. Thanks!

eta: I have seen it sold at Target as well - the Panera brand Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. That's actually where I discovered it!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Thanks so much for the recipe.

+1 to favorite soup @ Panera's
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Sounds so good!
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Sounds really delicious