I want to want to run!

13»

Replies

• Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Thank you so much to each and every one of you! You all are such an inspiration to me! I am going to give running a chance. Like I said before, I really really want to run, I think it would help, not only physically, but mentally. If nothing else just to know I can!

You all ROCK!
  • dnfenton
    dnfenton Posts: 24 Member
    First off I have done 12 half marathons since 2011 and while I am an interval runner vs a nonstop slow and steady runner I still agree with the majority of the posts here.

For me personally I despise the first mile of every run, I feel awkward and stiff and whenever I do a running session that is only 1 - 3 miles long I never really reach that point where I truly enjoy what I'm doing, normally because by the time I hit my grove I start going into cool down mode and I can't wait to finally be done with my run.

Now when I do a run longer then 3 miles somewhere after the first mile before I finish the 2nd mile everything gets easier and I can finally enjoy my run.

It's all about breaking past that mental wall where you keep thinking about how hard running is and instead you just focus on what's going on around you and how nice it is to be outside.

My suggestion on how to build on your relationship with running is to not only sign up for a race but make it a fun race like the color run or warrior dash. Something that will break up the race with something else for you to focus on. Everyone running those types of races are super supportive and a ton of fun to talk to as you are jogging along the course. It's so much fun that you really forget that oh yeah I just ran 3+ miles because you are also talking about how you jumped over fire and climbed that huge wall!

My suggestion on how to build on your relationship with running is to not only sign up for a race but make it a fun race like the color run or warrior dash. Something that will break up the race with something else for you to focus on. Everyone running those types of races are super supportive and a ton of fun to talk to as you are jogging along the course. It's so much fun that you really forget that oh yeah I just ran 3+ miles because you are also talking about how you jumped over fire and climbed that huge wall!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member

The first mile still sucks to this day but after that my body decides to let and go and enjoy itself when it settles into a pace.

[/quote

What is it about that first mile??...ugggh me too..thats always the time I have to push the hardest!!]
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    You start loving running when it gets easier and it doesn't get easier unless you run... start adding runs to your walks start with adding 30 sec to every. 4 min for 30 min when you are able to do this start decreasing your walk by 30 sec and adding it to your run..... I would train for a 5k (3.1 mile) to have a goal... I joined a running club they have organized runs at various locations freq throughout the week... I have made so many great friends over the last 20 years. We even went to races for vacations together
  • try C25K...it starts off with a little bit of running. see if you like the first week (only 3x a week)....repeat if necessary!
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    "Register for a 5K that's a few months out, and get after it."

THIS! I've been running 5K's for a few years now...I still don't LOVE to run, but I like that it is my time, and I even feel guilty if I don't go...a little self-guilt is motivation for me lol. Also, with running, if I go longer than a few days, it's like starting over for me...burning lungs, etc, so that also keeps me running. There are days I have GREAT runs, and days not so much, but my goal each run is a 5K. I do love running 5K's and crossing that finish line :)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Great Thread!

I used to love running.... 20 years ago when I was literally 70 lbs lighter.
    Everytime I would try to get back into it at this weight (190 lbs - Goal around 155) I would be miserable. Why:

1. I couldn't go fast and I would shuffle
    2. My knees would hurt.

Finally I put my "pride aside" and started jogging / walking. I am slowly but sure starting to had more job time in.

I can't wait for that feeling of being able to just walk out the door and jam out 2 miles without thinking about. I see that day coming... it may be 6-9 months from now... but I can see it! :smile: :smile:
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    I've found that I hate training but love races. Strangers cheering for you, the energy from other people and the medals and shirts. :) The races got me hooked. I would've loved running more on a daily basis if it were more like race events, like if I were running with other people at a similar pace instead of solo (I haven't run recently though because I found something I like better).
  • So you love to walk? I do too but I now love to run. I firstly started walking faster and marching up hills (along with my dog), finding myself getting fitter. Then I started 'jogging' just for a short distance, one mile (boy was that tough), but I kept at it for a few weeks slowly increasing the running until I was running 4 miles, then suddenly Icould run a 10k. Then I joined a running club (mine is an all ladies club), they have members of differing abilities and ages and I never felt left out. I now love to run and am working towards my first marathon which is in October. Just do it and believe in yourself.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    I love to run now but I hated it at first. I downloaded the zombies run app on my phone and now I'm hooked to this app and running.

Even now, the first mile is the worst and pushing through it some days is difficult. I started running on the threadmill but I started running outside a few months ago and now I hate the treadmill.

I still use it in really bad weather but I've found out I'd rather run in the heat and even in the rain to avoid the treadmill.

Find what works for you and take it easy. Find your pace and don't worry about your speed. That will get better in time.

Best of luck!
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Something I learned when I went to dog training classes, set yourself for success and gloat in achievements. Find out why you don't want to run and figure out how to make running enjoyable.

I when I hated running it was because I would get shin splints and endurance was a problem at me +100 lbs. I found a nice easy stride that I was comfortable with, and my shin splints went away. I did this by walking with some high knees and speeding up. I started basically with my own progression similar to the C25K but not at the pace. Just increasing time gradually. Take pride in any achievement. If you want to run to the end of the block, get there and turn the corner and do a couple more houses.

Vary your routines, because routines can get boring.

I also noticed that my craving for spicy foods has gone up since I picked up running. I guess it has something to do with the endorphin release because it the same high I get after I finish a long run.

No matter how I feel after a run, the beginning is the toughest. My first 15K race last Sunday and during the 1st 5 minutes I get the heavy foot feeling and thoughts run into my head that i don't think I can finish this. After finding my rhythm and letting the pack get ahead of me, I felt stronger after the first turn in the 1st 5K. I ended up besting my 10K pace by a few seconds.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    I kept running. I hated it, and I kept running.

At one point, I started loving it.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    if you're looking for fun cardio, try riding a bike. you get all the cardiovascular benefits of running, but you can probably go at least twice as far and as long than you could if you went for a run. and you don't beat up your legs as much as when running.

I used to ride a lot, 50 miles was the max I did in one day. That was really challenging, but I did it. You are right though, I it is easier on the knees for sure! Maybe I will rotate riding with running.

Thanks for reminding me!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    He said not everyone is a runner especially when you've never run a day in your life.

I think that's a given really...

I used to suffer badly from Shin splints when I tried to run. I've subsequently come to the conclusion that was a comination of doing too much, too soon, and my form. I've generally been overstriding, which places excess load on the lower leg and exacerbates shin splints.

Once I'd managed to master better form, and just took it easy in terms of progression I've reached half marathon distance in about 16 months.