hungry all the time

Options
Is anyone else hungry all the time, or is it just me? In all reality I am not actually hungry all the time. I just want to eat. I do exercise a lot. I have healthy snacks throughout the day. But I just want to eat all the time. I struggle to stay within my calories. And I want sweets. I try using fruits to cure the sweet tooth, but come on, an apple is not the same as chocolate. Usually I can't just have one, I have to have more.
Anyone have any advice?
MK

Replies

• mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    Is anyone else hungry all the time, or is it just me? In all reality I am not actually hungry all the time. I just want to eat. I do exercise a lot. I have healthy snacks throughout the day. But I just want to eat all the time. I struggle to stay within my calories. And I want sweets. I try using fruits to cure the sweet tooth, but come on, an apple is not the same as chocolate. Usually I can't just have one, I have to have more.
    Anyone have any advice?
    MK
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    i know exaclty how you feel, i posted on the same thing over in food and nutrition, i just can't stop like i always need to be eating something. and i work next to coldstone creamery (don't know if you ever have been there) its not a good thing
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. there's no easy solution, keep busy instead of sitting around. Take on projects if necessary. if you're at work, go for a short stroll around the building. chew gum!
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Options
    Sometimes if I am trying to avoid the food that I am really craving, I end up eating way more calories of other foods trying to satisfy my craving than if I would have just had my craving!! I will have my craving sometimes, but I try to eat it just before I am leaving for someplace or going outside to do mowing, etc. so I don't binge and have 10 instead of 1 or 2. It will satisfy my craving, and I get busy doing whatever I was off to do and then I forget about having more. Small things like a herschey kiss or a peanut M&M work well so you don't overdo it. You could try sorting them out into sealed envelopes and can have an envelope for your craving on days when you just can't think of anything else!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you are hungry or you just want to eat.

Ask yourself what you are hungry for - if it is many different things (spinach, cereal, rice) then most likely you are hungry, if it is just one thing (ice cream) you probably just want to eat.

Ask yourself how long have you been hungry - if it comes on gradually, you are hungry, if you suddenly get in the mood for something, you just want to eat.

I make myself go do something else. I also allow myself "scheduled" treats. If I know I'm going to get chocolate cake on Friday, I can usually hold off until then.

Sometimes, you just want to taste something. Herbal teas are great here.
  • havenofear
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I'm hungry all the time too. Sometimes I cannot even think until I have had something to eat. This can't be normal - and I am eating plenty of calories. Sometimes I think we are "pre-conditioned at the factory" to gain weight. Why else would so many of us need to lose it???? I
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    A multi-vitamin might help if your body is craving something. I got some crystal light hard candies and sucked on those a lot at first, and it 1-tricked my mind into thinking I ate something and 2-the hunger subsided after a couple of the candies. They are sugar free but taste great. I have gotten over that now, and have some in a dish, but only eat one on occasion now. Good luck!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    i tend to let myself eat whatever i want now and just count the calories and avoid going over. I'm always hungry too, or desiring food all day at least, so i ask myself if it's worth a 2nd workout to have whatever. Sometimes it is....
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm always hungry. I think my body wants to stay at this weight. When I eat I try to eat slowly, chew a long time and take little bitty bites to enjoy my little bit of food longer. Also adding a bottle of flavored water with my meal helps out:bigsmile:

Hope that helps you in some small way:tongue:
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to make sure I get enough protein and fat. Now that I'm counting calories, I have to make sure to get enough of the right stuff pretty much every time I eat anything.

I try to make sure that both my meals and snacks have a good balance of protein, fiber, fat and carbs, just to keep from splurging on any one of them.
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    For me I feel like it is a double edged sword. I am paying so much attention to my calories and food that it makes me think of food all the time and then I want to eat all the time. LOL.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat lean protein ( like chicken breast or light yogurt) and whole grain I'm not hungry all the time. Also two snacks a day keep me from getting starved when I have a longer period of time between meals. I do eat chocolate or ice cream when I feel like it, just the low fat and sugar version and I make sure I still have the calories left to endulge.
    The more refined the carb is the quicker you will have a crash and burn experience, the whole grain ones don't spike your insuline and take longer to digest, therefore making you feel fuller longer. There was an article not too long on keeping your metabolism on a steady burn by evening out your sugar levels in your bloodstream, but I don't remember if it was web md or one of the other mails I get.
    Hope that helps
  • ktexas5
    ktexas5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, I want to eat all the time. I get bored and then eat, even if I'm not hungry. You might want to try taking a few chocolate chips and mixing it in with half a serving of oatmeal. It's chocolate oatmeal which isn't really bad for you and fills you up because oatmeal is full of fiber
  • julesmcclelland
    Options
    Yep, you are my sister, JessicaT2007. I, too, think of each calorie I am ingesting or planning to ingest and how much I should work out to compensate. I am sooo thrilled when I have just 3 calories left at the end of the day. I'm trying not to worry my poor husband with my obsession. ha ha
  • deborah123
    deborah123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    This may seem simple but I'v been told that if your not drinking enough water it may seem that your hungry.
    Also I found that since I gave up sugar and white flour I'm not as hungry, and cravings went away in a
    few days. I eat alot of veggies and fruit. I have something about every three hours or so.
    Hope that helps
  • JennyGetsFitness
    Options
    mmmm chocolate....
    Gave it up. :laugh:
    Apple is a good nutrition, chocolate - just bad fat and sugar. everything else is processed out of it inspite of what the food industry wud want us to think. :wink:

you say you exercise a lot - you may not be eating enough, though. What kind of exercise are you doing?
    It is funny, but eating too little can subotage your weight loss progress, besideshaving cravings will eventually win over you and you binge on junk. I've been there, I know :)

A lot of people remove hard carbs - bleached breads, white rice, sugary drinks - but don't replace that will good carbs - leafy green veggies, brown rice, multi-grain bread or pasta, and a fruit or two. Make sure you are adding those on regular basis and see if it helps your cravings!

Good luck!

Love,
    Jenny