protein powder

I've heard protein powder can be really bad for you, that it's full of chemicals, etc. wondering what you all think? is it safe to drink?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    its fine. its bad if you drink 10 shakes a day and you have kidney problems, but for your average joe a shake here and there wont do any harm

also its a safe bet to say if someones argument against something is that its full of chemicals, they probably dont know what they are talking about
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Here are the ingredients of Cellucor Cor performance whey. It is pretty similar to most name brand protein powders:
    Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Sucralose, Protease A-S, Lactase.

The only chemicals I see are artificial sweeteners. I have never seen ANY convincing evidence that when consumed in moderation, artificial sweeteners are "bad for you". I take protein powder when I am having trouble reaching my protein goals, or when I need a quick, convenient, portable source of protein.
  • I've been drinking a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Isolates, "Extreme Milk Chocolate," and 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk every morning. I do this 30 minutes to an hour after my workout. As far as I know or understand, the proteins and amino acids contained within are very easy for the body to digest and absorb. I usually feel instantly replenished after drinking it, plus I get my chocolate fix for the day :)

Here are the ingredients on the stuff I use:

Whey protein isolates
    Whey protein concentrate
    Whey peptides
    Cocoa
    Lecithin
    Creamer (Sunflower oil, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Tocopherols)
    Salt
    Acesulfame
    Potassium
    Aminogen
    Sucralose
    Lactase

Claims on the container:
    Over 4 grams of glutamine and glutamic acid in each serving.
    More than 5 grams of Branched Chain Amino Acids, Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in each serving.

Toxicity is something I did not consider and will have to research. Thanks for bringing this up to my attention!
  • I guess what's important is what is NOT in the list of ingredients...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

The heavy metals found in tests (Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead and Mercury) are a little disturbing to me, and I may have to re-think my daily choices. But, is this just in everyday food from all the fertilizers and such that we use? It's hard to say and hard to discern. Could it be a successful attempt from the meat industries and their lobbyists? Who knows. I want to steer clear from conspiracy theories.

I noticed that "Bob's Red Mill" brand whey protein is available in stores. I wonder if this would be better? Egg-white protein powder?

After a few weeks of daily protein powder ingestion, it might very well be worth getting screened by a doc for heavy metals.
  • GFLowCarb
    GFLowCarb Posts: 7
    yes i've heard about this too! i just bought a powder that is supposed to pretty healthy/has no lead: http://www.amazon.com/Teras-Whey-Organic-Products-Bourbon/dp/B003VUF0PQ
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    I've also heard what MalayanTiger said about protein powders and heavy metals. However it is also in apple juice. That doesn't in anyway justify the values but as was mentioned this could be fertilizers poisoning us overall.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    I doubt they are all that bad for you but in general I find eating a piece of chicken or turkey to be far more satisfying.
  • michaellarcom1
    michaellarcom1 Posts: 12 Member
    Watch this and i say she know what she is talking about... http://youtu.be/nn3gCiCh-4A
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Watch this and i say she know what she is talking about... http://youtu.be/nn3gCiCh-4A
    I watched this video and am dumber for having done so. Here are several things she said that are absolutely scientifically incorrect:

"you need 5-6 servings of protein a day" No you don't, you need to hit a certain amount of protein per day but you in no way need to spread it out over 5-6 servings.

"Protein shakes keep your metabolism running efficiently" Not true in the least bit. Your metabolism will run just fine with or without protein shakes.

"85% of protein powders are complete garbage" Completely made up statistic. This is based on what?

"Women don't need creatine" No one needs creatine but there are plenty of reasons for women to want to take it. Also, most protein powders do not contain creatine.

She talks about how slow acting protein is better and whey should only be taken after a workout because it is quick acting. Again, this is totally wrong. The speed of protein absorption is again irrelevant. It will all eventually get absorbed. Total protein for the day is what matters.

As far as heavy heavy metals and arsenic being found in the powders, those things are also found in a lot of the produce we eat, and in rice, and in a whole host of other things. I'm not saying that those things are good for you, but you do need to take in to consideration that amount in which they are found. Your toothbrush in your bathroom right now would test positive for trace amounts of fecal matter, yet you will still brush your teeth each and every day. I stand by my original statement that most name brand protein powders, when taken in moderation, will not negatively effect your health.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    I watched this video and am dumber for having done so. Here are several things she said that are absolutely scientifically incorrect:

"you need 5-6 servings of protein a day" No you don't, you need to hit a certain amount of protein per day but you in no way need to spread it out over 5-6 servings.

"Protein shakes keep your metabolism running efficiently" Not true in the least bit. Your metabolism will run just fine with or without protein shakes.

"85% of protein powders are complete garbage" Completely made up statistic. This is based on what?

"Women don't need creatine" No one needs creatine but there are plenty of reasons for women to want to take it. Also, most protein powders do not contain creatine.

She talks about how slow acting protein is better and whey should only be taken after a workout because it is quick acting. Again, this is totally wrong. The speed of protein absorption is again irrelevant. It will all eventually get absorbed. Total protein for the day is what matters.

As far as heavy heavy metals and arsenic being found in the powders, those things are also found in a lot of the produce we eat, and in rice, and in a whole host of other things. I'm not saying that those things are good for you, but you do need to take in to consideration that amount in which they are found. Your toothbrush in your bathroom right now would test positive for trace amounts of fecal matter, yet you will still brush your teeth each and every day. I stand by my original statement that most name brand protein powders, when taken in moderation, will not negatively effect your health.

all correct
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    its fine. its bad if you drink 10 shakes a day and you have kidney problems, but for your average joe a shake here and there wont do any harm

also its a safe bet to say if someones argument against something is that its full of chemicals, they probably dont know what they are talking about

I don't believe they actually meant "chemicals" as much as what has been known to have been found in some protein powders.
    When places like China doesn't regulate their products, you don't know what all it may contain (lead, metals, bugs etc).
    To a degree some things are acceptable (ok, so who really wants to know theyre consuming bugs but the state does make a certain % acceptable) but when foods arent regulated, we don't always know whats really in them as its all ground up!
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    I actually drink a protein shake made with ISO Sensation 93 Strawberry flavor every morning. My nutritionist told me to do this for my insulin resistance, and I actually really like it. I sincerely hope it's not full of chemicals, but really, we're told everyday that pretty much everything is bad for us, so you can't win if you go that route.
  • As far as heavy heavy metals and arsenic being found in the powders, those things are also found in a lot of the produce we eat, and in rice, and in a whole host of other things. I'm not saying that those things are good for you, but you do need to take in to consideration that amount in which they are found. Your toothbrush in your bathroom right now would test positive for trace amounts of fecal matter, yet you will still brush your teeth each and every day. I stand by my original statement that most name brand protein powders, when taken in moderation, will not negatively effect your health.

I'm with ya, man. Us humans are huge-*kitten* polluters. I suppose there's no escaping it. Might as well minimize, I guess.
  • twisparklepunk
    twisparklepunk Posts: 4 Member
    i try to avoid sweetened powders because there is some work that shows artificial sweeteners may cause disruption to the body, and they can act as a migraine trigger. also i am doing the low sugar thing. I think it's true that its hard to avoid trace amounts of heavy metals. plus they keep lowering the standards for daily exposure and consumption.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Kaizen Whey Protein Isolate out of New Zealand in chocolate daily gets me close to my protein goals.

Ingredients: Undenatured cold extraction cross flow microfiltration whey protein isolate (contains milk), cocoa, natural flavours, lecithin (contains soy), sucalose (30mg/41g), stavia.

For those that care - lactose and gluten free.

delish!