Need HELP!!

I HATE EXERCISE for the sake of exercise. I enjoy walking in the great outdoors in interesting places, but laps around a track are so difficult for me! I HATE EXERCISE!

I need help getting passed this so that I can lose this weight and be healthy!

I need HELP!

Replies

• ekloap
    ekloap Posts: 5
    I HATE EXERCISE for the sake of exercise. I enjoy walking in the great outdoors in interesting places, but laps around a track are so difficult for me! I HATE EXERCISE!

I need help getting passed this so that I can lose this weight and be healthy!

I need HELP!
  • I felt the same way when I first started to exercise. I took my ipod and forced my self to walk, not around a track but I walked.Then it became a good time for me to walk and think and to have my time. If I don't go for a walk or a bike ride I start to feel restless and agitated. It is a good time to pray and think.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Hey ekloap. I hate doing something in one place for too long, too. I wound up getting on an elliptical machine and watching movies I had loaded onto my mp3 player. Before I know it my workout is over and tuning out the monotony is easy.
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    I am in the same boat. Exercising just to excercise really sucks in my opinion.

I'm much better if I play a sport of some sort so I am wrapped up in the game and forget it's even exercise.

I just bought a tennis racket and go out with a friend a few times a week...we suck but I sure work up a sweat. I also take my dogs for hikes...feels like I'm doing it for them and again foreget that it's exercise for me. Also golfing every couple of weeks....no cart...walk the course. I find the gym, walking or running a track, just aren't for everyone. We have to find what works for us or we won't stick to it!

Good Luck!!
    Shauna :smile:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    My wife bought x-box for exercise. :)

Game called Dance Dance Revolution where you just follow the steps on the screen, "dancing" on a mat that is on the floor. Music, dancing, not boring at all.

Personally I prefer playing disc golf.
  • You know is a good calorie burner....HOUSE WORK. Seriously I have stairs and the laundry room is downstairs so going up and down is a good one. Plus you sweat when you're scrubbing the toilet or ironing, thus are burning more too. One day I decided to track the calories for 2 hours and i burned over 300 just cleaning. As far as walking go to a regional park and walk its nicer plus it doesn't feel to much like exercise. Plan a little picnic and it'll be great. :wink:

81119.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Good grief!! I hate it too.. I have an awesome workout friend.. we just walk and we live in the desert.. NO trees!! just HOT.. but we walk in the desert on the bike tracks and up and down hills and in the neighborhoods. But she is such a motivator and she says I motivate her too.. so you need a fat friend and motivate her to go which in turn gets you moving.. or a skinny friend who gets you going.. :laugh: Then you just walk and talk about all your troubles and drama and if you have as much as we do, we could be walking until we are 90 years old and still going!! LOL
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    MP3's are the savior for those of us who struggle to exercise.

I use treadmills or Spinning but something I have found that helps the time pass is changing the intensity. SOme call it HIIT (High Impact Interval Training) On the treadmill you go at fast pace for a minute then slowdown for a mintue and you do that over and over and before you know it it is over.

When I do this I am focusing on getting through the minute at that pace instead of thinking that i have 20 or 30 minutes left. I know it makes you look at the clock which always seems to slow down time. But try it the way i described it worked for me.

When I travel for work I do it outside walking/running with my watch. Fastest 30 minutes i can find at the Gym

Spin class goes fast to if you have one available
  • veedee
    veedee Posts: 26
    The ONLY thing that worked for me is having a walking buddy, I know that every morning at 6 AM she is at the track waiting for me so I don't dare not get up and go, we walk and talk for 45 minutes and the time goes by very quickly. I am worried because she is going on vacation for the next 2 weeks and I don't know how I am going to make myself keep doing it. We could try posting our exercise every day to see if that helps! I'm game.
  • kkidde
    kkidde Posts: 6
    Its so hard to find a walking buddy these days. I dont mind exercise if I have my i-Pod or if im playing sports, but I just dont have the time :huh: (thats what it feels like). What baffles me the most is that after work I have so many other commitments that by the time I get home I am absolutely down for the count :sick: I cancelled my gym membership because I couldnt make it. What does someone like me do??? Get over it and just work out when I get home :noway: