S.B.F. Challenge. . .July 19

Today is weights and spinning. I'm starting to feel like a real weights person. There are still some machines that remain a mystery. . .but I find I can now makeup a full body work-out as I go along with some variations. . .

Also, I'm having my "treat night" tonight.

Water, vits, etc.

Happy workouts!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Today is weights and spinning. I'm starting to feel like a real weights person. There are still some machines that remain a mystery. . .but I find I can now makeup a full body work-out as I go along with some variations. . .

Also, I'm having my "treat night" tonight.

Water, vits, etc.

Happy workouts!:flowerforyou:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    I'm putting the word out there to my SBF-ers...I need HELP!

Here's the problem:

I'm on the road shooting and have access to on-set catering and it's amazing! I can order anything I want during the day until about 6pm, and there are always tables and tables of food around. So I do really well all day long...which is hard because filming is a lot of "hurry up and wait" so people graze the craft service tables...it's like Willy Wonka here and you can have ANYTHING you want! There's even free Slurpee machines, ice cream, etc. I seriously don't even let myself go near those areas.

SO...I do really really well all day long and typically have egg whites with raw spinach in the morning, a piece of fish with salad at lunch, and fruit or veggies for snacks during the day. I don't even let myself go near the "dangerous" food tables. The problem is, once it gets to be nighttime, the temptation gets to me and suddenly I've undone my whole day.

Because the shoot schedule is so hectic, I have not been exercising (currently in a Holiday Inn and there's no gym here). I'm afraid to get on the scale...I feel like all my hard work over these past few months has just slipped away. When I'm home between shoots I exercise like crazy and cook healthy stuff for myself, but the minute I get on the road I'm in the danger zone.

I'm so bummed, losing heart, and need a serious shove back onto the right path. Won't somebody push me?

:indifferent:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Whoo. . .the road is hard. I was just away on a (short) trip and here's what I wish I'd done:

Found a grocery store and stocked a cooler full of "healthy" munchies for my room every day. Hell, my room even had a refrigerator and a microwave and I didn't use it. I eat out of boredom, or "tired and need a reward" or crankiness. All three of these set in while I'm traveling (especially the "if it's on the road it doesn't count demon").

I had a cooler (that I really need to dust off) full of little "snack size" containers, and for the teaching day, I'd fill it up and then strap it on. If, like me, you have no shame, you could even poach healthy snacks for later from craft services.

Can you bring your laptop on the road and check in with us? We'll encourage/*kitten* kick as needed. Also, I find that if I take workout videos (like BL cardio) and use them with my DVD player in my laptop in the hotel room, I actually exercise. Sometimes the hotel gym is so crappy that it's useless, if it's there. Or, you could swim if the hotel has a pool. Even a short cardio session would give you a little offset, and help you stay in the routine. I find that if I set great big goals for trip workouts, I don't accomplish any working out. . .but if I say "I'm doing SOMETHING today", then I do it.

All easier in theory than in practice, I know. But, I think your dedication is very strong.

Whoo, that was a little ramble-y (extra cup of coffee, sorry.):flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    WL, hang in there! I'm sorry I don't have the strength to push you either. I'm struggling too right now. If I was in your shoes with what I've had going on, I would have been at those tables all day long! So I think you are doing great to avoid them all day. Hopefully someone else in the challenge will have more encouraging words. :flowerforyou:

I am going to get back on track with eating today: logging too. And I am going to try to get in the first day of the 30 day Shred. I may not be pregnant which is a bummer but I still have four more weeks to try to get this weight off. I realized I am scared to exercise when I find out I am pregnant. Maybe it's better if it happens when it's cooler out so I can go walking instead of doing Taebo...at least until I know the baby will be okay.
    Anyway, goals today: 30 day shred level one, clean out the cabinets in the kitchen (due to ants!), drink all my water (which I have been doing the last three days!) and maybe some more exercise if I feel up to it.
    I did manage to do my push ups yesterday. 65 full form! Whoo-hoo! I never thought I'd be able to do that!
    Happy sweating!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    MM - 65 push-ups! Awesome. I have the 100 push-ups bookmarked, and I'll try it someday, but there are just too many other things I want to do right now.

WL - the only thing that keeps me going sometimes is the thought that, "when you look back on this day will you be happy with your decision?". Also dark chocolate :bigsmile: . If I allow myself something, that is set in my mind beforehand, I much better than "just having a little of this and a little of this." It also might help if every, say Friday, you allowed yourself to go to the "treat" table and pick one out. That way, on say Thursday night, you could say to yourself, oh, just wait until tomorrow. Works for me anyway.

I want to know what V's treat is. I want to eat vicariously.

Yesterday was 2 yoga classes and a strength class. Right now, I have next week off for teaching. My next class is a "Free Day of Yoga" class on Labor Day - this tradition was started in my home town of many yoga studios offering a free yoga classes on labor day, so you could drive all over town taking classes - if you didn't mind being a little close to people - it's popular, to say the least. I think gyms all over should offer a free day of classes once a year. Speaking of gyms, my dang gym is canceling the Sat. yoga (perfect schedule, remember?) and replacing it with Nia. I hate Nia. Grrr.

Today, hmm, elliptical?
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    I'm putting the word out there to my SBF-ers...I need HELP!

Here's the problem:

I'm on the road shooting and have access to on-set catering and it's amazing! I can order anything I want during the day until about 6pm, and there are always tables and tables of food around. So I do really well all day long...which is hard because filming is a lot of "hurry up and wait" so people graze the craft service tables...it's like Willy Wonka here and you can have ANYTHING you want! There's even free Slurpee machines, ice cream, etc. I seriously don't even let myself go near those areas.

SO...I do really really well all day long and typically have egg whites with raw spinach in the morning, a piece of fish with salad at lunch, and fruit or veggies for snacks during the day. I don't even let myself go near the "dangerous" food tables. The problem is, once it gets to be nighttime, the temptation gets to me and suddenly I've undone my whole day.

Because the shoot schedule is so hectic, I have not been exercising (currently in a Holiday Inn and there's no gym here). I'm afraid to get on the scale...I feel like all my hard work over these past few months has just slipped away. When I'm home between shoots I exercise like crazy and cook healthy stuff for myself, but the minute I get on the road I'm in the danger zone.

I'm so bummed, losing heart, and need a serious shove back onto the right path. Won't somebody push me?

:indifferent:

Here's what I think it may help it may not. The food tables? is there fresh fruit? fresh Veg? if you can get anything ask for baked chicken.
    The Holiday Inn thers no gym is the a staircase? if so run the stairs, have you headed of Isometric Exercise? it's something that can be done in your room. you should look into a traveling gym some small things that you can pack, also yoga is something that can be done in you room there are bunch of DVDs out there then once you have your core execise you can take them on the road. Last but not lest don't forget about all your friend here on MFP good luck
  • wanderinglight
    Thanks everybody...I really do appreciate it. The thing is, like all of us here, I really do know all the right tricks. I've packed my exercise bands, downloaded my yoga videos for the hotel room, ordered the chicken and veggies...it's just that I seem to consider the right option and then CHOOSE the wrong thing deliberately. Then it backslides. Nothing new there, I think we've all been there.

I am taking ALL of your advice very much to heart. Today I'm going to write Mary's question on a post-it "if I look back on this day, will I be happy with my decisions?" I'm going to tackle today first...then tomorrow.

If all else fails, I am making the promise to log on before I deliberately make the wrong decision.

I can't even tell you how nice it is to have a network of people to lean on. THANK YOU.

MM -- I really hope that things start getting better soon. I'm glad to hear you are getting back on track today as well.
  • lotusfromthemud
    MM - 65 push-ups! Awesome. I have the 100 push-ups bookmarked, and I'll try it someday, but there are just too many other things I want to do right now.

WL - the only thing that keeps me going sometimes is the thought that, "when you look back on this day will you be happy with your decision?". Also dark chocolate :bigsmile: . If I allow myself something, that is set in my mind beforehand, I much better than "just having a little of this and a little of this." It also might help if every, say Friday, you allowed yourself to go to the "treat" table and pick one out. That way, on say Thursday night, you could say to yourself, oh, just wait until tomorrow. Works for me anyway.

I want to know what V's treat is. I want to eat vicariously.

Yesterday was 2 yoga classes and a strength class. Right now, I have next week off for teaching. My next class is a "Free Day of Yoga" class on Labor Day - this tradition was started in my home town of many yoga studios offering a free yoga classes on labor day, so you could drive all over town taking classes - if you didn't mind being a little close to people - it's popular, to say the least. I think gyms all over should offer a free day of classes once a year. Speaking of gyms, my dang gym is canceling the Sat. yoga (perfect schedule, remember?) and replacing it with Nia. I hate Nia. Grrr.

Today, hmm, elliptical?

Nia? WTH is Nia?

Oh, and I think I'm buying a chocolate cake from my fav. bakery, but pain au chocolat is another strong possibility. It all depends on what my shops have in stock. I was going to bake, but . . .rather spend the time at the gym instead of licking the beaters.
  • mechanicmom
    MM -- I really hope that things start getting better soon. I'm glad to hear you are getting back on track today as well.
    Thanks WL. It's hard to get back on track but I instantly feel better when I start making the effort!
  • mechanicmom
    OKay 30 day shred kicked my butt! I'm sweating like crazy and it was only twenty minutes! Boy am I in bad shape! How many calories to you all put for that? General aerobics just doesn't seem like enough. I don't have money for an HRM so any help would be appreciated!
  • yoginimary

Nia? WTH is Nia?

Oh, and I think I'm buying a chocolate cake from my fav. bakery, but pain au chocolat is another strong possibility. It all depends on what my shops have in stock. I was going to bake, but . . .rather spend the time at the gym instead of licking the beaters.

Yum. So chocolate bread or chocolate cake? It's been a while since I've been up north, so I can remember what pain au chocolat is.

Um, Nia, is like interpretive dance - at least the one I went to was. I'm not really sure what it is. It's the water aerobics for land, if you understand that analogy (read great for people with bad joints, limited ability, or out of shape).
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Hi all! I've spent my morning trying to post before & after pics. Got a fairly decent "after" pic over the weekend so here goes

th_OMGJulie.jpg

th_Julie.jpg

I did Turbo Jam Sculpt again today...somehow the 40 minutes seems better to me than the 20 in The Shred video-I'm sure it's just me...
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Today I didnt feel like doing much. I burned 30cals doing about 4 mins of Zumba, then I burned 130 running with my kids. Thats all im doing today!! haha

Julie thats awesome congrats!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    WL - You've already received a lot of great suggestions in this thread. So now I'm going to get a little more psychological on you.

Do you think you are falling apart at the end of the day because you are tired? Bored? Lonely? Insecure? Try keeping a journal and forcing yourself to sit down and write for a minute when the temptation hits you. If it's to the point where you feel like you are undoing your whole day, or choosing the wrong thing deliberately - then I would wonder if there isn't some self-sabotage going on. This used to be a big problem for me - I would be feeling bad about myself, think, "Why bother?" or "I'm not worth it," and then deliberately do the wrong thing. These thoughts can be hard to fight, especially when tired/bored/lonely. Think about why you are trying live healthier. You are worth it - now give yourself the respect you deserve!

On general principle, I would say it's fine to allow yourself a small treat everyday. Maybe even have it at lunch or mid-afternoon - before your usual "breakdown" time. Pick one that you really think is worth it.

Exercise is tough when you don't have a consistent schedule. If you know your schedule for the next day, maybe you can figure out the night before when you'll have time to exercise. Even if it's only a 10-minute walk/jog or yoga before bed - you will feel better about yourself if you schedule in SOMETHING. And make your goals realistic - don't plan for an hour of cardio if you are likely to be too exhausted and end up bagging the whole thing.

Basically, it sounds like you need to get yourself mentally and emotionally to a place where you feel like you are in control, even when you're on the road and out of any sort of normal routine. Most importantly - IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING PERFECT. It's about making a lot of good decisions a lot of the time.

Sorry for the dissertation - I got a little long-winded there! I hope it's helpful. If not, I am sure that you can get yourself back on the right track anyway! :flowerforyou:

And Julie - awesome pics! You look great.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    By the way - it is August, right? If not, then I have a wedding to be at tomorrow! :noway:
  • lotusfromthemud
    By the way - it is August, right? If not, then I have a wedding to be at tomorrow! :noway:

**&%$# cut and paste. . .at least I didn't say it was Valentine's challenge again.:flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • yoginimary

**&%$# cut and paste. . .at least I didn't say it was Valentine's challenge again.:flowerforyou: :tongue:

Wow, didn't even notice.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Monica, hang in there. You have been doing this long enough to know this will pass. I agree with deciding what is triggering the binge at the end of the day. I have been eating dinner at 5, only to get home from work around 9:30 or 10 and raid the fridge. Last night was a burger and a pb&j sandwich. NOT GOOD! :laugh:

I have been told the mantra for weight watchers is "will it taste as good as it feels to be thin", so repeat, exercise, drink water (will at least fill you up some so you binge less), then if you still want it, have a bite or two and walk away. You obviously have the will power to be surrounded by garbage all day and resist the temptation... you can do this!

Melissa, blessings come in many disguises. This time wasn't meant to be, so as you said, take the month to get on track and then go from there. I am by no means a perfect example for health & diet, but was able to run (speed waddle) until my 7th month. You don't need to stop exercising if you have your body adequately adjusted to it before hand! Go get 'em!

Julie, the transformation is amazing! You can tell from early posts up to now that you are a new person, congrats!
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    WL... I like the idea of putting Mary's question on a post-it. I agree with the previous ideas. Good luck to you... you CAN do this! :flowerforyou:

Julie... you look fantastic! Your dedication and hard work is truly inspiring.

Today...
    ~BL cardio
    ~Lots of water
    ~Eat healthy

Viv... I like your idea of a "treat night". How often do you do that?
  • wanderinglight
    WOW...thank you so much for the support, everyone (sniffling a little now). It feels so good to have people who know exactly the right thing to say.

Vivia -- you hit the nail on the head, and I really appreciate the dissertation. There is no doubt that I'm feeling super extra lonely on the road -- haven't really found my place on the crew yet, and I feel like my friends back home are slipping away because I'm too tired to see them when I get home. And as for a boyfriend...still pending. So, yes, there are some issues going on above and beyond the usual stress.

The good news is, it's 10pm and I've got about an hour of work to do and then I'll do 20 minutes of exercise and then bed.

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to do my 20 minutes right now, wake up a bit, THEN work for an hour and then bed.

I made it through the day -- and the only thing I OD'd on was grapes.

I'm keeping this thread in my topics, and I'll be rereading it (along with my post-it!) tomorrow.