Anybody here get "Facebook envy"?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm not 12 either. And absolutely, there is no point to it. Nor is there any point for a lot of random thoughts/feelings, especially the counter productive ones. They still happen though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not home crying into my tea about it but I'll admit, there are times when I'm at work on a Saturday night wishing I was out at the places my friends are at instead. Or alternatively, sitting at home in winter rugged up wishing I was on a tropical island holiday looking glamorous

If they're your friends, why would you not be out with them?
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    I know what you mean. I wouldn't call it "envy" per se, but sometimes I just think to myself... why? what? or my favorite... no.

From my HS graduating class there are two people who aren't married - I am one of them.
    From my HS graduating class there are <10 people without children - I am one of these also.

I do not have the financial resources to take vacations to all those fancy places that my friends do - I wish I did! - I'm happy for those people, but wish I could do it too - so envy? jealous? Whatever you want to call it.

The proposals?! OH THE PROPOSALS!!!! LOL Please let my future husband have a romantic and creative side paaaaaleeeeeese

I try not to let it bum me out too much - if I feel that it's "bothering" me then I just don't get on FB for a few days - go outside, get some sunshine, go to the gym, go to a local attraction, be with friends, or something like that.

Yep. Along these lines, I totally get it.

Sometimes I need to unplug or I'll start beating myself up too much. "Why am I not as successful/happy/wealthy/smart/gorgeous/and so on?"

There have been studies that show too much time of Facebook can actually depress people for this reason. We all only put the highlights on FB, not the mundane or crappy bits of our days. But when you're looking at all the shiniest, nicest parts of other people, it makes your every day seem awful by comparison.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I get "Facebook Rage":

I have a few friends who like to post their cryptic status updates and then when you ask them what is wrong they respond "I don't want to talk about it" or "leave me alone". Then WHY did you just post that if you don't want to talk about it? Now I just ignore them, I learned that very early on. Damn drama queens. :grumble:

"Why does this have to happen to me?"

"I could just disappear and no one would even notice :("

"I feel so alone :("

"I can't believe THAT just happen!"

Edited for spelling.

I have a friend who does that... I just stopped following her, I'm not 15 any more, I don't need the drama
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I get "Facebook Rage":

I have a few friends who like to post their cryptic status updates and then when you ask them what is wrong they respond "I don't want to talk about it" or "leave me alone". Then WHY did you just post that if you don't want to talk about it? Now I just ignore them, I learned that very early on. Damn drama queens. :grumble:

Edited for spelling.
    I have one girl from HS on there.. oh my god... She is a mess.. and I only keep her on there for my own entertainment purposes.. My husband says that's pretty F'd up.. It's like a train wreck.. Just can't stop staring... I like reading her posts just so I can shake my head. :ohwell:
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    People should envy people who don't have a Facebook account.

THAT'S ME!!! I have no interest in having one! I see and speak to the people I want in my life! :drinker:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    I guess I'm weird. I don't have much money (so, you know, no fancy vacations or new outfits, or going out, having babies, etc.). Whenever my FB friends post pictures of exciting things they do and whatnot, I'm actually EXCITED and HAPPY for them, and enjoy seeing those picks. It makes me HAPPY to know my friends and family are getting to do some happy things for themselves.

And...they are happy to see me post about the things that make me happy, which may be different (and cost less) than their "happy". But we enjoy seeing others' posts and whatnot, nonetheless.

It is possible to be excited and happy for other people and still feel envious of them , you know.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Sometimes, when it comes to big events -- seeing people get married, new jobs, accepted into grad school, etc. while I'm still trying to figure out what I want in life. But when I think of the things I do have, it bothers me less.
  • Raisingsonshines
    Raisingsonshines Posts: 50 Member
    I get envy of the way some people look, but it's because I have ****ty self esteem.

I am not to proud to admit that.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    The recent study about "Facebook Sadness" has been all over the news lately. I think this is why so many people are suddenly making threads about it. It really doesn't affect me at all. I am happy for my friends' accomplishments and happy with my own life. I also know that posting pictures of happy times doesn't necessarily reveal the underlying mess that we all have in our lives to some extent. Just take Facebook for what it is.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I guess I'm weird. I don't have much money (so, you know, no fancy vacations or new outfits, or going out, having babies, etc.). Whenever my FB friends post pictures of exciting things they do and whatnot, I'm actually EXCITED and HAPPY for them, and enjoy seeing those picks. It makes me HAPPY to know my friends and family are getting to do some happy things for themselves.

And...they are happy to see me post about the things that make me happy, which may be different (and cost less) than their "happy". But we enjoy seeing others' posts and whatnot, nonetheless.

It is possible to be excited and happy for other people and still feel envious of them , you know.

^ Also this. It doesn't make someone a bad person. It just makes them human.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    I get "Facebook Rage":

Edited for spelling.

^^^^ This! Plus those bloody annoying status's that "I've done the vacuuming....beds changed..... dinner's in the oven....cleaned up the cat sick...blah blah blah
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Only time this happens to me is when people post about being pregnant or about their newborns. I tend to hide those people for a while, not because I'm not happy for them, but because it makes my heart hurt to be reminded that some people have children so easily while my husband and I have struggled through 3 years of infertility and 4 miscarriages. I hate feeling jealous about that, so I just hide it so I don't see it. I know it's not their fault, and they have a right to be excited and share about their babies (as I'm sure I will do if I'm ever lucky enough to be blessed with a successful pregnancy), but it still hurts. Otherwise, I don't mind anything people post about, vacations or jobs or whatever. Politics and religion annoy me on Facebook, but I wouldn't call that "envy" haha.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I get "Facebook Rage":

Edited for spelling.

^^^^ This! Plus those bloody annoying status's that "I've done the vacuuming....beds changed..... dinner's in the oven....cleaned up the cat sick...blah blah blah I DON'T GIVE A SH1T!!!

^ Yes! I rarely ever post a status update. I don't need people to know that I just had explosive diarrhea.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    is that why I always deny people I went to highschool withs friend requests?? maybe or maybe its because I dont care to know them

I guess I envy my sister when she posts some food or that shes at some bar but only because I want the food and want to be at the bar too

and I could be im just not
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    I envy some couples at times, purely because I am newly single and have the blues lol.

nothing malice though, its not actual envy just makes me think of the things I did with my ex.

but life is life, tough times call for tough minds, gotta be positive :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Hypocritical posts about your kids being bullied, when in fact you were my bully growing up, things like that. I have no interest in people's lives on Facebook.

Why... do you have your former bully as a friend on Facebook? I say axe 'em!

:bigsmile:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    I don't Facebook! No problem! ????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    whats Facebook?
    If you play "Candy Crush" you need it. It will give you almost infinite lives!!! Okay back to topic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition