New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi there, Type 2 Diabetes Support Group! drinker

The following is a list of online diabetic communities I've found to be very educational, beneficial and helpful over the years towards my diabetes self-care goals.

Each site is unique and beneficial, packed with invaluable information for those new to diabetes, in addition to those veteran diabetics wanting a refresher course too.

Additionally they’re designed to answer your questions, ease your confusion and frustration. Knowledge is one of the best tools for managing diabetes.

Copy and paste any one of these helpful and informative links of interest below in to your web browzer.

www.bloodsugar101.com

http://www.diabetes.ca/ (The Canadian Diabetes Association)

www.diabetes.co.uk

www.diabetesdaily.com

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com

www.tudiabetes.org

~ Will Dubois is a Diabetes Author, Educator and Advocate and a diabetes patient himself. He dedicates his life to help people with diabetes in rural New Mexico, as Diabetes Coordinator at the Pecos Valley Medical Center. He has written a book called "Taming the Tiger", meant to help people during their first year with diabetes.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/a-free-ebook-to-help-you-on

~Mayo Clinic, a leading national healthcare practice, education and research institution, has provided this information covering the basics you need to know.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-information-articles/diabetes-basics/2-type-2-diabetes

~Joslin Diabetes Center, located in Boston, Massachusetts, is the world's largest diabetes research and clinical care organization. Joslin is dedicated to ensuring that people with diabetes live long, healthy lives and offers real hope and progress toward diabetes prevention and a cure. Joslin is an independent, nonprofit institution affiliated with Harvard Medical School.

www.joslin.org

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/diabetes-basics/improving-your-diabetes-care-visits/1/
    Copy and paste this link above to your web browzer. Good a article, check it out.

Another good resource below.

http://www.dlife.com/

~Calorie King, has been a very valuable site to me for nutritional information, taking a lot of the guesswork out of carbohydrate counting. Their database is huge!

www.calorieking.com

Wishing everyone here living with his condition, continuous improvement and good health!

~ Bob
  • life_enthusiast
    life_enthusiast Posts: 15 Member
    Hi, I'm Kristen.

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic. I was diagnosed with Diabetes in January of 2012. I had an A1C of 8.0 and took it down to a 5.9 in 8 months (via eating healthier and moving more). I also lost 30 pounds in that first 8 months. I'm holding steady around 5.9 now and on only 1 Metformin a day. I am working on getting my 150 minutes of cardio in every week, at the moment. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 20 pounds to get me to a healthy BMI. However, I'm taking it one day at a time and not pushing to get there. If I get there....great! If not...that's ok too.

My Dad and cousin have Type 2 Diabetes. My Uncle died in his 50's due to Diabetes complications. It's on both sides of my family, so I guess it was inevitable that I have it too. Although, my two brothers are still in the clear. Granted I was the one who had an Obese BMI a couple years ago. So, that might have a little bit to do with hit.

I'm a Marketing Coach/Consultant by day. I'm in Community Theater, Community Chorus and play games with Hubby and friends as often as possible, by night. I enjoy hiking, swimming, kayaking and Zumba when I can. I've been known to walk my neighborhood too.

I look forward to meeting others on the board.
    Create a great day!
    Kristen
  • bdubya55
    Congratulations on bringing your A1c down to under 6 in 8 months in addition to your weight loss progress. Well done!:drinker:
    Thanks for sharing some of the changes you've made that contributed towards your accomplishments.

Impressive too is your interest in Community Theatre and Community Chorus too. Being a Marketing Coach and Consultant by day, must bring with it a rewarding experience.

Best wishes for your continued success and good health Kristen. Welcome!
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    congrats Kristen...good job!
  • bullzi4
    bullzi4 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Everyone.... I was diagnosed with T2 in April of this year. Right now I am controlling with diet and exercise. Embarrassing to say, I was a Weight Watchers Leader for 20 years... my doctor told me that I was an expert in healthy eating (although since I retired I have given into many old habits) and he is giving me three months to see how well I do... I have a follow up appointment with my doctor on July 15. To say that this diagnosis was crushing is putting it mildly. I'm sure I'm not the first one to be totally shocked. I spent the first few weeks living in two worlds. One world where I started a healthy eating plan, started reading and learning as much as I could and the other world was the fantasy one where my doctor would tell me there was a mistake and I was fine. Ultimately, I have gone through the stages of mourning.. some stages more than once LOL... and I think I am now able to acknowledge that yes indeed, I do have this disease. Still not liking it much though.

I find eating healthy to be easier than I thought, although I miss my old friends.... chips....cheese crackers...and chocolate. I'm just wondering how some of you do this year after year and does it get any easier? I find certain foods shoot my numbers to the sky.. like my other best friend ice cream... even the sugar free kind..so I have eliminated ice cream from my food plan. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life without enjoying some of my favs... so if there is any advice for getting in the occasional treat, that would be helpful.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Hi Everyone.... I was diagnosed with T2 in April of this year. Right now I am controlling with diet and exercise. Embarrassing to say, I was a Weight Watchers Leader for 20 years... my doctor told me that I was an expert in healthy eating (although since I retired I have given into many old habits) and he is giving me three months to see how well I do... I have a follow up appointment with my doctor on July 15. To say that this diagnosis was crushing is putting it mildly. I'm sure I'm not the first one to be totally shocked. I spent the first few weeks living in two worlds. One world where I started a healthy eating plan, started reading and learning as much as I could and the other world was the fantasy one where my doctor would tell me there was a mistake and I was fine. Ultimately, I have gone through the stages of mourning.. some stages more than once LOL... and I think I am now able to acknowledge that yes indeed, I do have this disease. Still not liking it much though.

I find eating healthy to be easier than I thought, although I miss my old friends.... chips....cheese crackers...and chocolate. I'm just wondering how some of you do this year after year and does it get any easier? I find certain foods shoot my numbers to the sky.. like my other best friend ice cream... even the sugar free kind..so I have eliminated ice cream from my food plan. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life without enjoying some of my favs... so if there is any advice for getting in the occasional treat, that would be helpful.

Welcome to the group! I was also diagnosed in April of this year.(11.4 A1C) The doctors went straight for medication and didn't even give a chance to control it with diet and exercise. I started out really, really good eating healthy. I've been having a little more fast food lately than I would like. I thought I would have to cut out things entirely but it hasn't been like that. I haven't found anything that raises my blood sugar considerably. I'm sticking to MFP macros and it's helped. Ice cream has been okay for me. I only eat one serving, usually 1/2 cup and my blood sugar doesn't go up. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor at the end of July too.

I wasn't really shocked by the diagnosis. Diabetes runs in my family and I had been eating poorly up until that point and not exercising at all. My mom always warned me but I said I was going to do what I want until it happens. Well, it happened. :(
  • bdubya55

Hi bullzi, great pic!

As T2D's we're carbohydrate intolerant meaning, white starchy food items like white bread, rice, potatoes, pastas and processed foods will spike our blood glucose levels above our blood sugar target goals. Each of us is unique in how our bodies react to the various carbs we eat, in addition to our management approach, along with any blood sugar lowering medications we take.

By eating to your glucose meter, you'll quickly learn how the food choices you've made effect your blood sugars and if any adjustment is needed regarding those choice(s), keeping in mind perfection managing this condition doesn't exist.

I meet with my past friends, only occasionally though. Being diagnosed with T2D is an individual emotional experience for each of us, and I can empathize with your experience too.

I would encourage you to seek out a diabetes education course and/or help from a registered dietitian too specializing in diabetic nutrition from your healthcare provider, as many newly diagnosed find these classes to be very beneficial.

Another good source of helpful information is bloodsugar101.com

This is an amazing community eager to share their knowledge, encouragement, support and experiences.

Best wishes towards your 3 month improvement and continued success and good health.

Welcome!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Hi! I'm Marlene, new to this group, MFP, AND diabetes! I was just diagnosed last month with type 2 diabetes, but my parents have both had the disease for years.

I'm on 500 mg of metformin twice a day (for a total of 1000 mg). I try to limit my carbs (haven't been too successful the last couple days, more on that later) to the ones that come from fruits and vegetables and avoid "white" carbs. I'm under the guidance of a registered dietitian and I'm working on getting into a diabetes education class.

There's a diabetes support group that meets locally once a month, I'm probably going to start going. All the education and support I can get right now is important.

In addition to changing my diet, I'm adding in exercise. I'm a LOT more active now than I was a month ago, I aim toward getting to the gym five days a week, and so far have been pretty successful. I've made it at least three days a week every week since being diagnosed. I'm working on both cardio and strength training. I bought myself a Fitbit (it arrived Saturday) and I'm in love. I love challenging myself to walk 5,000 steps a day, and with the exception of yesterday, I've made my goal every day!

Yesterday I had to put my dearly loved, but elderly and sick kitty down. He was diagnosed with chronic renal failure two months ago, was listless and not happy, and had started to drool excessively. Turned out he had developed a tumor under his tongue, and there was nothing they could do about it. So we decided to put him to sleep. He drifted off peacefully and painlessly, and is now happy and healthy across the Rainbow Bridge.

Anyway, yesterday was devastating. I had pizza for lunch and didn't make it to the gym at all. Today, though, today was a better day. I ate too many carbs, but I got in an hour of cardio, took my meds as directed, met all of my Fitbit goals, and made it through the day (so far) without crying.

I also have fibromyalgia (mild, thank $DEITY), bipolar disorder (type 1), and ADHD. My psych drugs keep me from losing weight as fast, and probably contributed some to my weight gain. So far though I've lost about nine pounds. My goals are to get down to 200 pounds (I'm currently 291, was 300) and reassess my weight and body composition then, and get off metformin.

My exercise goal is to be able to run a 5K by the end of the year. I am recovering from a patella realignment surgery, I've been released by my doctor for months now, and have pretty much recovered, but I still say I'm recovering. Anyway, I'm working my way toward being able to walk 3 miles at 3-4 MPH, then I'll start working on increasing speed.

So, that's my long winded story! (I'm a writer, being verbose is my trade)

It's nice to meet you all. :)
  • HypnoWhizz
    HypnoWhizz Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Everyone!
    My name is Chris and I'm just signing up to MFP and FitBit as the beginning of my lifestyle changes. I'm a Type 2 diabetic, controlled with Metformin (1), Slow acting insulin (66), Fast acting insulin (20) and Victoza (1.8). I'm based in Rugby UK. and just on the cusp of being 150kg heavy, so finally want to make changes to get it down to ideally 100kg over the next year or two. I'm interested in anything that can help, advice, suggestions and also a kick up the rear (not too hard please) to get me going. At the moment I'm monitoring me as I am and seeing exactly what I'm doing (which is not good). So, next step is making the change.

Watch this space!

Cheers All

Chris
  • bdubya55
    Hi! I'm Marlene, new to this group, MFP, AND diabetes! I was just diagnosed last month with type 2 diabetes, but my parents have both had the disease for years.

I'm on 500 mg of metformin twice a day (for a total of 1000 mg). I try to limit my carbs (haven't been too successful the last couple days, more on that later) to the ones that come from fruits and vegetables and avoid "white" carbs. I'm under the guidance of a registered dietitian and I'm working on getting into a diabetes education class.

There's a diabetes support group that meets locally once a month, I'm probably going to start going. All the education and support I can get right now is important.

In addition to changing my diet, I'm adding in exercise. I'm a LOT more active now than I was a month ago, I aim toward getting to the gym five days a week, and so far have been pretty successful. I've made it at least three days a week every week since being diagnosed. I'm working on both cardio and strength training. I bought myself a Fitbit (it arrived Saturday) and I'm in love. I love challenging myself to walk 5,000 steps a day, and with the exception of yesterday, I've made my goal every day!

Yesterday I had to put my dearly loved, but elderly and sick kitty down. He was diagnosed with chronic renal failure two months ago, was listless and not happy, and had started to drool excessively. Turned out he had developed a tumor under his tongue, and there was nothing they could do about it. So we decided to put him to sleep. He drifted off peacefully and painlessly, and is now happy and healthy across the Rainbow Bridge.

Anyway, yesterday was devastating. I had pizza for lunch and didn't make it to the gym at all. Today, though, today was a better day. I ate too many carbs, but I got in an hour of cardio, took my meds as directed, met all of my Fitbit goals, and made it through the day (so far) without crying.

I also have fibromyalgia (mild, thank $DEITY), bipolar disorder (type 1), and ADHD. My psych drugs keep me from losing weight as fast, and probably contributed some to my weight gain. So far though I've lost about nine pounds. My goals are to get down to 200 pounds (I'm currently 291, was 300) and reassess my weight and body composition then, and get off metformin.

My exercise goal is to be able to run a 5K by the end of the year. I am recovering from a patella realignment surgery, I've been released by my doctor for months now, and have pretty much recovered, but I still say I'm recovering. Anyway, I'm working my way toward being able to walk 3 miles at 3-4 MPH, then I'll start working on increasing speed.

So, that's my long winded story! (I'm a writer, being verbose is my trade)

It's nice to meet you all. :)

Hi Marlene, Welcome!

Sorry to learn you had to put a loved one down. Clearly a very emotional experience to work through. He's at rest now and not suffering any longer from his condition.

You've made some serious changes to your lifestyle since your diagnosis. It won't be long before your ready to run that 5K goal at the end of the year!

Best wishes towards your success!
  • bdubya55
    Hi Everyone!
    My name is Chris and I'm just signing up to MFP and FitBit as the beginning of my lifestyle changes. I'm a Type 2 diabetic, controlled with Metformin (1), Slow acting insulin (66), Fast acting insulin (20) and Victoza (1.8). I'm based in Rugby UK. and just on the cusp of being 150kg heavy, so finally want to make changes to get it down to ideally 100kg over the next year or two. I'm interested in anything that can help, advice, suggestions and also a kick up the rear (not too hard please) to get me going. At the moment I'm monitoring me as I am and seeing exactly what I'm doing (which is not good). So, next step is making the change.

Watch this space!

Cheers All

Chris

Hi Chris, Cheers to you too!

It's great your wanting to make the necessary change to improve your overall health. The MFP tracking program is a powerful tool when applied correctly to help you accomplish your nutritional goals along with improved blood sugar management by tracking your mealtime carbohydrates. Testing before meals and 2hrs after with your monitor you'll quickly learn what effects the food choices you've made had on accomplishing your blood sugar target goals, and if there is the need to reduce portion sizes or eliminate that item altogether to be considered an occasional treat.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.diabetes.co.uk/type2-diabetes.html

It's packed with a lot of invaluable information designed to answer your questions along with tips and advise managing this condition.

Cheers on your journey to good health and success!
  • Dakota106
    Dakota106 Posts: 30 Member
    Good morning all and HAPPY 4TH!!! I am a returning member that let life get the best of me! The good news is I'm down 10 lbs. since last time so moving in the right direction!! These past couple of months the oral meds I was taking were not doing the job,so after getting a new Endo and diabeties sopecialist and trying many new meds ,most of which didn't work and made me really ill I finally am on meds that are working and feeling good! Looking forward to meeting everyone!! Diane
  • bdubya55
    Hi Diane,

Glad to here you and your new Endo found a combination of meds that meet your needs, and that you're feeling good too!:drinker:

Congrats on your progress moving in a direction towards accomplishing your goals!

Welcome back!

Bob
  • bradley0320
    bradley0320 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi I'm brad. I found out I was T2 last October. I know this may sound crazy but I see diabetes as my life saver. The life style change pushed me to lose weight , eat healthy, and take charge of life. I pushed my a1c down to 5.7. I still take pills like other T2 . Now I live life to the max I can when I see a sweet I know I can at least smell it and enjoy the memory of the tast.
  • j3haughe
    j3haughe Posts: 9
    I was diagnosed at the age of 35 with type two diabetes in April and started using myfitnesspal in earnest at that time in order to lose some pounds and to try to control this new and frightening condition. I'm trying to see my new situation a turning point in my life, an opportunity to improve myself physically in a way I'd never been motivated enough to do before. Up until the diagnosis it just always seemed there were more pressing things to get done that to get myself in check physically. Diabetes has been a wake-up call. I've learned a lot about food and exercise these past three months and have made some pretty dramatic lifestyle changes. I eat wisely now. I get exercise every day (though admittedly more some days than others). Since the diagnosis, I've lost about 25 pounds and 40 overall since January 1st of this year. As of yesterday I'm down to 260 after being at 300 on New Year's Day. I hope to lose another 40 over the next twelve months and then maintain myself at 220 long term. I'm 6'3 and at this point 220 seems like a reasonable goal for a man of my height.

Even more than that, though, I want to control my diabetes. My hope is to be able to do it without the Metformin I'm currently taking twice a day, though I'm more than willing to use medicine and even insulin as needed in order to keep my blood sugar in control. I'm in the midst of taking diabetes classes in addition to reading every book and website I can find to learn how to better keep this in check, and one of the points that the instructor has made clear is that this battle isn't about going it alone or without medicine or insulin; it's about controlling the disease and using the resources and support available to help you.

I suppose that's why I'm here and why I'm writing this out. Up until this point, I've used myfitnesspal to record my eating and exercise but have mostly ignored the social aspect of the site. I'm hoping to add a few friends from this post who can support me in this, and for whom I can offer support. A few more "likes" for our accomplishments are always encouraging. If you're facing a similar struggle, please friend me on here and let's see if we can't give one another a little pat on the back to keep improving. Thanks for reading.
  • bdubya55
    Hi I'm brad. I found out I was T2 last October. I know this may sound crazy but I see diabetes as my life saver. The life style change pushed me to lose weight , eat healthy, and take charge of life. I pushed my a1c down to 5.7. I still take pills like other T2 . Now I live life to the max I can when I see a sweet I know I can at least smell it and enjoy the memory of the tast.

Hi Brad, Welcome!

It's great you're taking your diagnosis seriously. Congratulations on your A1c improvement, along with your weight loss progress too, as a direct result from the healthier lifestyle changes and choices you've made. Not an easy task.

Best wishes for your continued success!
  • bdubya55
    I was diagnosed at the age of 35 with type two diabetes in April and started using myfitnesspal in earnest at that time in order to lose some pounds and to try to control this new and frightening condition. I'm trying to see my new situation a turning point in my life, an opportunity to improve myself physically in a way I'd never been motivated enough to do before. Up until the diagnosis it just always seemed there were more pressing things to get done that to get myself in check physically. Diabetes has been a wake-up call. I've learned a lot about food and exercise these past three months and have made some pretty dramatic lifestyle changes. I eat wisely now. I get exercise every day (though admittedly more some days than others). Since the diagnosis, I've lost about 25 pounds and 40 overall since January 1st of this year. As of yesterday I'm down to 260 after being at 300 on New Year's Day. I hope to lose another 40 over the next twelve months and then maintain myself at 220 long term. I'm 6'3 and at this point 220 seems like a reasonable goal for a man of my height.

Even more than that, though, I want to control my diabetes. My hope is to be able to do it without the Metformin I'm currently taking twice a day, though I'm more than willing to use medicine and even insulin as needed in order to keep my blood sugar in control. I'm in the midst of taking diabetes classes in addition to reading every book and website I can find to learn how to better keep this in check, and one of the points that the instructor has made clear is that this battle isn't about going it alone or without medicine or insulin; it's about controlling the disease and using the resources and support available to help you.

I suppose that's why I'm here and why I'm writing this out. Up until this point, I've used myfitnesspal to record my eating and exercise but have mostly ignored the social aspect of the site. I'm hoping to add a few friends from this post who can support me in this, and for whom I can offer support. A few more "likes" for our accomplishments are always encouraging. If you're facing a similar struggle, please friend me on here and let's see if we can't give one another a little pat on the back to keep improving. Thanks for reading.

Welcome j3haughe!

Thanks for sharing your journey since your diagnosis. It's wonderful you're seeing your diagnosis as a turning point in your life as an opportunity to take control of your health by gaining a better understanding of what it takes to manage this chronic condition successfully by seeking out reliable sources of information.

Congratulations on your weight loss progress since the first of the year, very commendable and I wish you continued success.
  • Hello Everyone! I just learned about the myfitnesspal yesterday at my endocrinologist's office. I will be 54 years old tomorrow, have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years. I am morbidly obese (247 lbs), and not doing a good job of trying to keep my blood sugar under control. I am hoping to find support and encouragement from this group and to be able to support and encourage others. I am tired of being misterable, depressed and just existing, I want to live life again!

I know this will not be an easy journey, but will be worth it. I have to lose weight and start exercising, bottom line. Wish me luck!
  • bdubya55
    Hi Breebreezmom, Welcome!

The myfitnesspal program is a powerful tracking tool to help you achieve your nutrition goals when applied correctly. It wasn't long after I started using this program that I found a path towards weight loss and better blood sugar management by adopting healthier eating and lifestyle habits. When applied honestly and correctly this program really does work!

This is a wonderful support group, eager to share their encouragement and experiences living with this self-managed chronic condition. Have a look around the various threads, ask questions, your experienced contributions are warmly welcomed too.

Wishing you the same success and accomplishments I've enjoyed. The success you deserve!

Good luck!:drinker:
  • Hi, I'm Joey. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 120 days ago. Handling it very well. I have a blog about my journey http://thelivealittleproject.com/blogspot.com