Pro Tip for outdoor running:

2»

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    If ones goal is to do it outside then I would train from the onset outside. Seems silly to me to do all the work on the TM, and then have to work even more to be able to do it outside.

I started in the dead of a Missouri winter. At that time I did not have the hundreds of dollars of thermal running gear I now own, now that I know I enjoy running.

People have reasons for what they do and how they do them. Don't presume.
    Just giving advice for people who do have a choice to run in or outside. I help teach a couch25k group each spring for the last 6-7 years and hear the comments all the time from people who tried to transition from TM to outside.
    Of course there are going to circumstances that could force someone inside but if there is the outside option...that is better.

and btw.......one of our run group goes through the Ohio winters and this last year was very brutal. ONe tuesday it got cancelled but the rest of the time we still go out there. Some brutal runs...but still better than inside on the hamster wheel.

You obviously missed or ignored the point about my thermal running gear. I run in all weather - now.

But when I first started out, I wasn't sure it would stick. I wasn't going to spend hundreds of bucks on running gear that may have ended up unused in the closet, and I didn't want to wait until spring to get started. So I ran on the treadmill as a realistic way to test the water.

My point being that there are valid reasons to start on a treadmill, even if you're going to transition to outdoors later. It's not 'silly'. Sure, if I could do it again, I'd start outdoors - but only because with hindsight I know already that it's something I'll stick with.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    You could modify the couch to 5k to work for your level-I find treadmill running SO much easier than running outside. On the treadmill I feel like I can go forever haha! So you can just build up to it. :)

Others may have mentioned it but I'd talk to your vet and your breeder if the pup is from a breeder that does hip/eye testing about running your pup-I think the general recommendation for running large breed puppies is no "forced" running until 18mos to decrease the likelihood of damage. If you live somewhere where he/she can run off leash and not on the pavement (the beach is great!) then you can do a walk/jog with them safely in puppyhood but not straight running.

Enjoy building your running relationship with your pup!!! My dog is too old now (12yrs old and was 94lbs in his fully muscled days so a fairly big guy), but when he could run with me it was often the highlight of my day. Talk about the best running buddy and motivation (pup will even get you running in the rain!) :)

Forgot to say that if you use an app like Runkeeper it tracks your pace and stuff and then you can pay attention to how you feel and adjust your pace accordingly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You obviously missed or ignored the point about my thermal running gear. I run in all weather - now.

But when I first started out, I wasn't sure it would stick. I wasn't going to spend hundreds of bucks on running gear that may have ended up unused in the closet, and I didn't want to wait until spring to get started. So I ran on the treadmill as a realistic way to test the water.

My point being that there are valid reasons to start on a treadmill, even if you're going to transition to outdoors later. It's not 'silly'. Sure, if I could do it again, I'd start outdoors - but only because with hindsight I know already that it's something I'll stick with.

I would agree with this- I have run a lot on a treadmill- only because I won't do it when I get home- and I didn't have separate days for running and lifting- so if at the gym there was no where to run- then I ran on the treadmill. If I could run outside I would- but I wasn't going to lift- drive home and then go running- I'm motivated- but not THAT motivated.

I mean if you're original from the start plan is to run a road race in December- get your tuukus outside and run in the cold. But if you have no strong feelings and are running to run- meh- treadmill is okay for what it is.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    If ones goal is to do it outside then I would train from the onset outside. Seems silly to me to do all the work on the TM, and then have to work even more to be able to do it outside.

I started in the dead of a Missouri winter. At that time I did not have the hundreds of dollars of thermal running gear I now own, now that I know I enjoy running.

Just giving advice for people who do have a choice to run in or outside. I help teach a couch25k group each spring for the last 6-7 years and hear the comments all the time from people who tried to transition from TM to outside.
    Of course there are going to circumstances that could force someone inside but if there is the outside option...that is better.

and btw.......one of our run group goes through the Ohio winters and this last year was very brutal. ONe tuesday it got cancelled but the rest of the time we still go out there. Some brutal runs...but still better than inside on the hamster wheel.

Even you admit you would have started outdoors with your hindsight.........

That thermal gear is helpful, no doubt about it. First few years I ran outside I didnt have it and just had to layer, and layer, and layer! Now with the better gear it has helped most definantly.

I was just saying, and you agree, that if you do intend to do the running outdoors with races and such then go out and train outside whenever possible. It just makes it so much easier than having to add on alot of extra time. I have actually witnessed a few people who got very discouraged when they moved from teh TM to outside and gave it up unfortunately. The TM can give a false sense of security/speed.
    A few guys in our unit found that out this spring on the PT test. They were keeping up with it on the TM at home and found that it didnt compare.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run. When he realizes you're a weak suck and slow runner he will just walk beside you while you die jogging making you feel completely out of shape and pathetic.

Note: I usually run/jog on the treadmill where I don't have to think. Running outdoors and trying to find the right pace was more difficult than I expected.

I do plan on trying more outdoor running- any advice for next time?

also

do NOT take your Saint Bernard (5 years old) with you on any of your outdoor runs. Even if you just walk at too demanding a pace, he won't be into the experience, he will realize that he might be bigger than you, and he will randomly sit his *kitten* down just to see you ping to a stop at the end of his lead and land on your *kitten*, making you feel both guilty and pathetic.

LOL- you guys and your dogs.

We run with our horses.

*kitten* gets real interesting when they decided they are ready to go home.

Upside- if you teach them to tail- you can run sprints WAY faster than you every would on your own.
    (tailing- drop back- grab tail mid way down- they go- you run behind)
    Works great for the last stretch home- or for running up hills.

Haha, I run with a mini horse from time to time. I haven't tried tailing but she's a bit short so I don't think it would end with good results.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

Even you admit you would have started outdoors with your hindsight.........

That thermal gear is helpful, no doubt about it. First few years I ran outside I didnt have it and just had to layer, and layer, and layer! Now with the better gear it has helped most definantly.

I was just saying, and you agree, that if you do intend to do the running outdoors with races and such then go out and train outside whenever possible. It just makes it so much easier than having to add on alot of extra time. I have actually witnessed a few people who got very discouraged when they moved from teh TM to outside and gave it up unfortunately. The TM can give a false sense of security/speed.
    A few guys in our unit found that out this spring on the PT test. They were keeping up with it on the TM at home and found that it didnt compare.

I feel a bit like I'm talking to a brick wall. I agree that starting outside is best if that's your plan. I am not trying to argue otherwise.

But not everyone has that option, and not everyone knows that running is going to stick, and not everyone lives in a climate that would necessarily allow them to start running outside immediately without significant financial outlay that they may not be prepared to make.

Yes, I'd start outside if I could do it again if I could magically see into the future and see me now, enjoying running in all weather. But that's not possible, is it?

The part of your post I take issue with is saying that starting out on the treadmill is silly. It's not. It's sub-optimal, for sure, but if it's what it takes to get you moving, it's what it takes. Were it not for the treadmill I'd probably still be 50 pounds overweight and wondering everyday if today would bring my first heart attack.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run.

I would check with your vet to make sure running at 5 months for a GSD is okay....in my experience (dog training/rescue for 15 years) for larger breed dogs, it is recommended you wait until they are about a year old before you start to run with them.

I didn't even think about that- I'll be sure to check it out with the Vet. Herc (my dog) wasn't really running, but I'd hate to throw his hip out or something. He's a purebred and I would hate to injure him.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run. When he realizes you're a weak suck and slow runner he will just walk beside you while you die jogging making you feel completely out of shape and pathetic.

Note: I usually run/jog on the treadmill where I don't have to think. Running outdoors and trying to find the right pace was more difficult than I expected.

I do plan on trying more outdoor running- any advice for next time?

also

do NOT take your Saint Bernard (5 years old) with you on any of your outdoor runs. Even if you just walk at too demanding a pace, he won't be into the experience, he will realize that he might be bigger than you, and he will randomly sit his *kitten* down just to see you ping to a stop at the end of his lead and land on your *kitten*, making you feel both guilty and pathetic.

LOL- you guys and your dogs.

We run with our horses.

*kitten* gets real interesting when they decided they are ready to go home.

Upside- if you teach them to tail- you can run sprints WAY faster than you every would on your own.
    (tailing- drop back- grab tail mid way down- they go- you run behind)
    Works great for the last stretch home- or for running up hills.

Haha, I run with a mini horse from time to time. I haven't tried tailing but she's a bit short so I don't think it would end with good results.

BAW HA HA HA HA- please video if you ever do- I only ever worked with mini's on long lines- I typically found them insufferable beasts.

But yeah- wildly amusing- please video if you do teach her to tail!!!