Does this App really work for you?

Replies

• LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Yes. I get lots of noodz.

I vote this the best response so far.
    I never get noodz. So I guess that means that this app doesn't work.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Yes. I get lots of noodz.

Its true. I sent them.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    It works for me. I am conscious of what I'm eating and how active I need to be. I've lost 16lbs in about 2 months.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    The app is just a tracking tool. If you put in the work, you'll see the results.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    The app is just a tracking tool. If you put in the work, you'll see the results.

And for a serious answer, ^ This. I've been using the MFP app and website and you can look at my before and after pics (my profile is not locked so you can view if not on my friend's list) and see my tracker for my results :).
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Yes, it works! I've lost 29 lbs since the end of April when I started. I use the the app on my droid and also go on the computer to view message boards. You have to be totally honest with the food you ate and log it no matter what. Weigh your food. I didn't even workout the first couple weeks I started and it still worked.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Yes!! But you have to log honestly and consistently. Every bite, every meal, every day. Choose attainable goals. I purposely lost slowly, 1/2pound a week. No dieting, no deprivation. It's a tool. A great one if you use it well.
  • Thank you for those who have been encouraging! I have spent the past few days really thinking and acknowledging any short comings I have had in using this as a tool. I make even more of a conscience effort to log EVERY single thing I consume and also any and all exercise. Hoping to continue to find encouragement as I work toward a healthier me.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    I've lost almost 100 pounds that i wouldn't have lost without it. i tried tracking my food on paper and failed miserably. the tracking convenience of the phone app combined with the support and information in the forums makes it a powerful tool, imo. it also allows me to pre-plan my meals so i can hit my goals without stressing that i've eaten too much by dinner.

but you'll only get out of it what you put in. i.e. logging consistently and accurately, as well as being aware of exercise over-estimation.

Exactly all this
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    It works. Not only that, but it works the way I want to use it. I do see complaints about it not having total flexibility, but for me, it allows me to track what I want (calories in, protein, fat, fiber), but also make the adjustments I want (I want to track exercise but not the calories burned, I want to set my own calories target not settle for the MFP one). It is a commitment and some users might find the level of commitment needed tough, but then becoming a healthier human being does take commitment however you achieve it.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Yes. 50lbs gone. Maintained for 2 years now.
    (which is /not/ the easiest thing in your early 20s, college years!)
  • fitmodel2014
    fitmodel2014 Posts: 3 Member
    This website has really helped me. I am able to plan meals in advance which allows me to create a good workout plan to burn the required amount of calories per day. Take advantage of pre-planning meals. It works. ;)
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    It works for me. The first time I started using it I lost 10 pounds and then stopped, thinking I could maintain on my own. I gained weight and started using the app again and plan on using it for life. It works for me because I am accountable for what I put in my mouth and it encourages me to exercise. Overall, I have lost 25 pounds and I plan to stay at this weight by using MFP. I work hard not to go over my calories for the day and if I had a "bad" day than I don't repeat my bad choices the next day. MFP may not be for everyone but it is definitely works for me.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    I have logged in everyday on the app for the last 165 days and have logged faithfully. I have successfully lost 41.5 pounds in a sustainable way. I believe the app (and the website) absolutely works. Be honest to it and it will be honest with you.

Good luck!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Thank you for those who have been encouraging! I have spent the past few days really thinking and acknowledging any short comings I have had in using this as a tool. I make even more of a conscience effort to log EVERY single thing I consume and also any and all exercise. Hoping to continue to find encouragement as I work toward a healthier me.

Open your diary, reach out to friends who can help give feedback on what you're doing (or not doing!) and you'll see results.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    The MFP website (similar to the app. . . I have a Windows phone and the app for it is HORRIBLE) has worked very well for me.

Being honest with yourself, remembering to log all food and exercise, and learning to understand how it works and what's reasonable for your own body are all keys to success.

Probably someone has beat me to posting this, but this thread is the essential guide to properly using MFP-- please read it!: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+sexypants
  • I would like to see meal ideas for meeting our goals.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Works for me - used it last year and lost 15lbs - down to 184. Stopped using it in July and by December I was up at 197. Logged in this am at 183lbs. However in the last month I have switched to TDEE minus 20% so I don't have to log exercise everyday. The key there though is to do the exercise you have programmed into your TDEE!

It will be interesting to see if I can continue this through the fall and winter months as that is typically when I put on weight. My goal is 165ish so 20lbs to go. Slow and steady is the way to do it, without giving up anything you enjoy.

cheers
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    For me, I use it for a while, but see no results. I am honest in my calculations and exercise. Not sure if I need to change something up or not.

How long is "a while"? A week or two is not a reasonable enough time to expect results. Come back in six months of consistent dedication and try to tell me you haven't seen awesome results. :)

Also, you say you're honest in your calculations, but are you, really? Are you weighing all your food with a scale? Are you using a heart rate monitor to record your exercise burns? If not, then that's not really "honest", it it?
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Works fine for me too, just not the forum part or viewing profiles.