40 Something Success Stories?

Replies

• vkaraca
    vkaraca Posts: 4 Member
    My success story is not as amazing as some I've read on this site but because it's mine I know how hard it was. I am 45 and throughout my life I've had fatter times and thinner times but I've never really been in good shape. I was the girl in highschool who nearly threw up when I had to run the mile. A year and a half ago I was 195+ (as others have mentioned I didn't weigh myself much then) and I couldn't run to the end of my block. Now I routinely run 3 miles for my workouts, I just did a 5K race in 33 minutes and I've lost about 40 pounds. The weight loss is great but at 45 with two kids it's the new found ability to run that really makes me feel like a success. I'm starting to add weight training now because when I'm 50 I want to be stronger than ever and I'm starting to believe it is really possible. For anyone who's struggling today I say, Take a deep breath and be patient. Fitness takes time.
  • Motivatedin20131969
    Motivatedin20131969 Posts: 33 Member
    Bump :0)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    My success story is not as amazing as some I've read on this site but because it's mine I know how hard it was. I am 45 and throughout my life I've had fatter times and thinner times but I've never really been in good shape. I was the girl in highschool who nearly threw up when I had to run the mile. A year and a half ago I was 195+ (as others have mentioned I didn't weigh myself much then) and I couldn't run to the end of my block. Now I routinely run 3 miles for my workouts, I just did a 5K race in 33 minutes and I've lost about 40 pounds. The weight loss is great but at 45 with two kids it's the new found ability to run that really makes me feel like a success. I'm starting to add weight training now because when I'm 50 I want to be stronger than ever and I'm starting to believe it is really possible. For anyone who's struggling today I say, Take a deep breath and be patient. Fitness takes time.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-926-1401223152-14.gif
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member

I think that's great. The times I have tried running I haven't enjoyed it and now my life doesn't really lend itself to it (much easier to workout at home). BUT I do want to try again at some point and run a 5k.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    43 here and just hit 70lbs yesterday. Trying to take my time, be patient with myself, trust the process and (most importantly) make sure I have the proper mindset to do it right. Low and slow has kind of been my motto. Tons of experimentation to find foods I like and can easily live with and exercise that I don't hate too much... :-)
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    41, have lost 56 lbs since New year's day. Was my original target (hit it today) but have decided another 7lb would give me wriggle room. I lost weight in my early 30's and to be honest this was easier for several reasons,
    -I knew I could do it
    -I knew the diet pitfalls
    -I can go to the gym when I want (ish) as although work full time I now have older children who I can leave for an hour.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Hi, I'm 43 this year, joined the site and starting working out consistently almost 2 years ago and while I haven't needed to lose a lot of weight; I am definitely the best shape and at the best level of fitness I have ever been.

Reaching your 40s doesn't mean you have to start for slowing down, for me it was a reason... an incentive to put on some speed :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    I started my weight loss journey when I was 38 (back in 2009). Was 220lb, now weigh around 163-165lb at the age of 43. The loss was slow (only averaged 20lb a year), but I kept making changes to my diet, then got more active. I'm very active now and in the best shape of my life. I run and play recreational football (flag and tackle) and softball.

Being older just means being smarter about things. I do a lot of stretching and foam rolling to help recover from soreness.

Feel free to friend me.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    I lost the weight in my 40's. If you keep at it, you can do it. 40 is just a number.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/my-thanks-to-the-man-of-steel-407835
  • rikkejn
    rikkejn Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks to good genes, I always looked pretty good. Then around 40 (possibly also due to living in the tropics and driving everywhere), I gradually noticed I was bulging a bit various bits looked a bit flabby. I never, ever exercised before, but started on c25k and started monitoring what I ate (not dieting). After just 3 months, I look better and feel better than in almost 10 years. I lost around 15 pounds and bum has never been this shapely even in my teen years. Not as huge as many others here, but just as inspiration for those who just need to get in shape.
  • DivaKom
    DivaKom Posts: 19 Member
    Bumping this for motivation!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    just before my 40th birthday i was 112kg's and about 40% body fat, on the verge of a stroke or heart attack, depressed beyond belief and totally ready to throw it all in, then that 40th birthday approaching and a gym opening up within walking distance i decided to go for it.

Cut all junk foods, soft drinks, cordials haven't had any of those except Pizza since February 2013, and not missing them, was costing way too much anyway.

[img]hhttp://dakd0cjsv8wfa.cloudfront.net/images/photos/user/9248/5904/8acb/2141/3785/3664/2ed6/cc32972f22956eedddbd95f8ec8d98a1aa7b.jpg[/img]

cc32b3240e78eed50b3783208985fc795e4a.jpg

that was me a few days after my 40th birthday, i had been going to the gym for 2 days and already lost a little bit., 111.9Kgs sorry bout the semi nudity clothes really didn't show the whole picture.

about 3 weeks later i finally got to see my complimentry trainer and he refused to train me after doing the basic physical, stating my blood pressure was way too high, so move forward 1 week i had lost 5Kg's in a month i had a 24hr blood pressure monitor attached which registered critical blood pressure just walking and here i was going full bore on the cross trainer for the past month my heart rate regularly in the 180+ range. I was put onto blood pressure medicine immediately but stopped after the 6th repeat ran out and blood pressure has been fine ever since well except for times i get really stressed or anxious.

moving forward to the past few months i've dropped to 76.2Kg - 17.5% body fat at my lowest and a 501 day streak on MFP as of today some great and1 really close friend on MFP and heading towards my 42nd birthday February 24th.
    cc32c47dd048cb29f38118e611ffc8629368.jpg
    cc325e88c1875c6a4839d3f8a0c5bb21d5dd.jpg
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Started when I was 43 and now I have just turned 45 and I have dropped 25 kg but more importantly, I have:-

(1) stopped snoring
    (2) stopped suffering from sleep apnea
    (3) stopped having GORD
    (4) stopped being out of breath when climbing stairs
    (5) stopped sitting of the couch as much
    (6) stopped eating as much fast food ( I do still indulge occassionally but do it as a consenting adult rather than as a junkie :) )

Dropped from 30+% body fat to under 15% body fat

still just over BMI 25 .... go figure
  • Mag1913
    Mag1913 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm 43 yrs old and I started my journey to a healthier me at 42! I have lost 65 pounds, ran 2 5K's, ran a half marathon and last night I tried my first Crossfit class! I went from a BMI of 32.6 (obese) to 23.6 (healthy)! I made a choice to make my 40's truly "fabulous"!!! I still have 9lbs to hit my goal. My motto during this journey has been "WE GOT THIS", I have had the encouragement and joy of doing this journey with my sister!

WE GOT THIS!!! :)))
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    I'm 43. 2 months before my 40th I joined Slimming World with an aim to lose 40lbs. I was 198lb and the heaviest I had ever been. Iost my 40lbs in 5 months, and went on to lose another 20lb within another 6 months or so. I started doing Wii fit at home (behind the curtains!). A year in I joined a gym on a 1 month membership deal, and set my self a challenge of covering 5k on a treadmill (I never said run!) - like the changes to my diet it wasn't easy, but nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be, and I realised I actually quite liked exercise. So, I started running, when the weather got colder I joined a gym.
    Nearly 4 years since I first started losing I have lost a total of 70lbs, and maintained this despite a shoulder injury, a fractured elbow, family changes etc. I can keep up with my kids a lot better, no more bp and cholesterol meds, I struggle with stress and anxiety - still do but I know healthier ways to deal with it than chocolate. A few months ago I did my first sprint tri.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I can keep up with my kids a lot better, no more bp and cholesterol meds, I struggle with stress and anxiety - still do but I know healthier ways to deal with it than chocolate. A few months ago I did my first sprint tri.

I read this too fast and thought it said "I like my kids a lot better" LOL. I was like, "Yeah, me too!" :smile:
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    39 here, and I am smaller and in better shape than at any point in my adult life. I am hoping to be at goal weight by the time I turn 40. I dieted in my teens and twenties and, contrary to what some have experienced, I find it easier now.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Great stories above. My 30s (and early 40s) was a period I gained a few lbs every year thru poor diet and no exercise. I was focused on my career, working long hours and would reward myself with food. My kids were young and needed a lot of my time. Mornings were getting kids ready, work from 8 AM -8 PM and eat a big dinner at 8-9 PM then bed right after. Went from about 190 in 1996 to 255 in 2014.

I am 42 and in March decided enough was enough. Almost there. You can do it, but it just takes time and dedication.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    I can keep up with my kids a lot better, no more bp and cholesterol meds, I struggle with stress and anxiety - still do but I know healthier ways to deal with it than chocolate. A few months ago I did my first sprint tri.

I read this too fast and thought it said "I like my kids a lot better" LOL. I was like, "Yeah, me too!" :smile:

lol - me too! Even 10 years older, I can keep up with this toddler a lot better than the last one! I've given in to my grey hairs too. I like the look, but I do get called Grandma!
  • mandyw706
    mandyw706 Posts: 11 Member
    You look fabulous
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!