thoughts on the 500cal diet

I've heard about this diet, doesn't sound healthy but is it a quick weight loss if you do it for a week?

Not sure what food you'll be able to have since it's so low calorie.

Replies

• taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    I think it sounds like a bad idea..
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Less than 1200 calories a day will put you into starvation mode, thereby shutting down your metabolic rate. The worst part is then your body takes those 500 calories and stores them as fat. Fat cells have this habit of growing when you eventually increase your calories.

Therefore these insanity diets just make you fatter. They are designed to lose weight quickly, the problem is you gain it back twice as fast as you lost it, plus some. So don't do it, stick with your recommended MFP calorie intake for long term, permanent weight loss success.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    No.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    My thoughts??????

dance.gif
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Less than 1200 calories a day will put you into starvation mode, thereby shutting down your metabolic rate. The worst part is then your body takes those 500 calories and stores them as fat. Fat cells have this habit of growing when you eventually increase your calories.

Therefore these insanity diets just make you fatter. They are designed to lose weight quickly, the problem is you gain it back twice as fast as you lost it, plus some. So don't do it, stick with your recommended MFP calorie intake for long term, permanent weight loss success.

I'm sorry, while I do agree that a 500 calorie diet is ridiculous and unhealthy, eating that amount for a week will not make you starve, nor will your body store those calories as fat. Please don't spread misinformation.
  • Don't, you will be hungry, tired, and grumpy all day long. Also, as soon as you start to eat normally you will more then likely gain it all back.
  • nappsmcgee
    nappsmcgee Posts: 33 Member
    Don't do it.
    Hell no.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    500 calories per meal would be good.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member

Sorry, but studies have proven this to be a diet myth. While eating such super low calories won't put you into the mythical starvation mode, it will have adverse affects on your body and can be quite dangerous. At the very least, eating below 1200 calories makes it difficult to obtain the proper nutrients. At worst, read up on the physical affects of anorexia. That's what you would be looking at.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    sounds like my own personal version of hell, personally.

if you want to be a certain weight, you need to make habits that you can continue for life.

you cant live on 500 calories a day for life, therefore i wouldnt do it.

change your lifestyle to one that makes you a healthy person. speedy starvation weight loss does not make you healthy just skinny. if it even does that.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

I'm sorry, while I do agree that a 500 calorie diet is ridiculous and unhealthy, eating that amount for a week will not make you starve, nor will your body store those calories as fat. Please don't spread misinformation.

^ This times 1000. Stop spreading "Starvation Mode" misinformation...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    No. This is extremely unhealthy. Sure you'd lose weight, but you'd also end up losing a lot of muscle mass while you are at. Also, if this goes on for long enough, you'll end up with a lot of deficiency problems and worse.

Do yourself a favor and read this link and follow the tips and advice here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    It's severe food deprivation, of course you're going to lose weight but at what cost? Plus when you eat regularly the week after, you'll gain most of it back.
  • ah1141
    ah1141 Posts: 37
    Hey snugglesmacks, please read the post I made earlier and tell me what you think. I'm meeting and often exceeding my nutritional needs but netting at around 544 calories a day because of the exercise I do. Any thoughts??
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    500 cal does not sound healthy from any aspect!
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Eating 500 calories a day sounds depressing. Food is good. And yes, being thin is good to but done correctly.

And yes, you don't get fat from not eating. That's such a ridiculous concept. Ask Karen Carpenter. Oh wait, she's dead.

I know at least two people who are morbidly obese and swear they don't eat. All they have is maybe a bit of chicken or a bowl of rice. I would love to see what they hide under their bed and in the back of their refrigerator.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Hey snugglesmacks, please read the post I made earlier and tell me what you think. I'm meeting and often exceeding my nutritional needs but netting at around 544 calories a day because of the exercise I do. Any thoughts??

2gydpjd.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

2gydpjd.gif

She got really good answers too. I don't blame you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member

Please do not support each other in what is disordered eating. I have seen your thread. Your body needs more than 544 calories.
This discussion has been closed.