Track running:a rant

Please stop walking shoulder to shoulder with your small herd of people. You are not playing Red Rover, you are blocking the whole track and making faster traffic dart into the grass to get around you.

"Excuse me," or, "on your left" is not the appropriate moment to stop walking dead in your tracks, especially considering I stomp like a woundedbuffalo and you aren't wearing headphones. I know you hear me coming.

Sneering at someone as they run past you-again- is not cause for attempts to trip that person. You are here to walk,they came to run. Trip the wrong person and they may follow you out to the parking lot (yes, I mean I will hunt you).

Replies

• People ride side by side on the bike trails blocking the entire path, especially couples. It's very annoying to have to slow down for a bunch of jerks.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    drama
    612.gif
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Please stop walking shoulder to shoulder with your small herd of people. You are not playing Red Rover, you are blocking the whole track and making faster traffic dart into the grass to get around you.

"Excuse me," or, "on your left" is not the appropriate moment to stop walking dead in your tracks, especially considering I stomp like a woundedbuffalo and you aren't wearing headphones. I know you hear me coming.

Sneering at someone as they run past you-again- is not cause for attempts to trip that person. You are here to walk,they came to run. Trip the wrong person and they may follow you out to the parking lot (yes, I mean I will hunt you).
    run outside lanes from the walkers .
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    When I see cyclists NOT riding in single file on narrow roads, I like to yell out, "don't ride abreast - ride a bike!" :drinker:
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member

Sneering at someone as they run past you-again- is not cause for attempts to trip that person. You are here to walk,they came to run. Trip the wrong person and they may follow you out to the parking lot (yes, I mean I bwill hunt you).
    run outside lanes from the walkers .
    no such thing here-the whole track is five lanes wide. If you have five people side by side, you either jump the barrier and run in the grass or dart the other way, up a set of stairs, and through the bleachers.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    You're running. You have a larger velocity. Knock them down and keep running.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    inside lanes / outside lanes seem to vary from place to place....

annoying when people spread across everything like they own the whole track...

one other annoyance I have though, I'll be walking in the walking lane to stretch, cool down etc - someone will be running in that lane, cut around me and then cut right back in front of me - literally jacking right in front of me - let's see, you can take another four or five steps and then cut back over jagoff....
  • ride4pride
    ride4pride Posts: 5 Member
    ^^^
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    wtf? Why would people go walking on a running track?

Here the appropriate etiquette would be for you to keep to the inside lane (because you are going faster), shout TRACK as loud as you can as you come up behind them, and then barge them.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member

LOVE this ^^^

Same thing happens to me sometimes. It's been my experience that if you run past them REAL close, they (sometimes) get the hint and move or consolidate. Plus they likely don't want someone's sweaty body rubbing against them.

The last few months, I've started doing my runs at non-peak times. It's not your fault some groups hog the lanes like they own the track, but have you considered altering your schedule? You shouldn't have to accomodate the ignorance of others, but it is what it is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    wtf? Why would people go walking on a running track?

Here the appropriate etiquette would be for you to keep to the inside lane (because you are going faster), shout TRACK as loud as you can as you come up behind them, and then barge them.

That's how I learned- faster on the inside- walkers on the outside.

There have never been more than 2-3 people on the track with me- but I always pass on their left- so they are on my right- and I tell ON THE LEFT.

Walking 5 wide and taking up enough of the track to make someone jump around is incredibly rude- I'd have no issues calling out and then giving a shoulder if they don't move over.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member

I like the way you think! :drinker:
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Reverse direction so you're running at them and play chicken. You could even speed up and put your head down so they know you mean business.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    tumblr_m767n69liW1rsm2tu.gif
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Funny thing, I find that a little civility really works well here. Oftentimes, those walkers just don't understand track etiquette, so you have to help them out. A couple of times, I've had to say to walkers in the inside lane "Excuse me, would you mind moving out a lane or two? I'm going to be running some really fast laps for a workout and I don't want to run any farther than I have to." Said politely and with a smile, the answer has always been "Oh sure, no problem!" Being nice returns nice responses most of the time.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Trip the wrong person and they may follow you out to the parking lot (yes, I mean I will hunt you).

Wait, if I trip someone at a track I get to take them home?! I gotta find a track! :D
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Reverse direction so you're running at them and play chicken. You could even speed up and put your head down so they know you mean business.

:drinker:
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Funny thing, I find that a little civility really works well here. Oftentimes, those walkers just don't understand track etiquette, so you have to help them out. A couple of times, I've had to say to walkers in the inside lane "Excuse me, would you mind moving out a lane or two? I'm going to be running some really fast laps for a workout and I don't want to run any farther than I have to." Said politely and with a smile, the answer has always been "Oh sure, no problem!" Being nice returns nice responses most of the time.

My first reaction would be just the opposite of this, but Carson is right....
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Suddenly I wish I had the same problems as the OP so I could do this...maybe I'll just do it anyways