Doctor Who

Replies

• explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Finally saw the Christmas special! I have not seen all of the reboot episodes, in fact the percent is embarrassingly low. But I must say, I do see potential for a relationship *if* they keep it on the same grounds it started on -- with Clara the casual aggressor, and the Doctor, for once, being the one who follows along and/or gets more overtly emotionally attached. Rose was always clearly infatuated with the Doctor, while he was inscrutable and never so much as could tell her he loved her. Martha, from what little I've seen and heard, was similar. I'd like to see the Doctor be taken with Clara, while Clara is much more casual about things. (This might happen if there are multiple incarnations involved, so that the Doctor falls in love with her over time while she always sees him as an interesting new guy who might have potential but is a little weird, but I think I'd rather they have similar experience and he's just the more in love for a change.) She might pull him in for a celebratory snog after a victory, but the very fact that she did so when she hardly knew him shows that it doesn't really mean that much to her. The Doctor kissing her, on the other hand, would be a momentous thing, but she just wouldn't see it that way, wouldn't take it that seriously.

Not sure I'm explaining it very well....

I see where you're going with that, but it seems VERY similar to the River set up.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    tumblr_maza17Q2CO1qhdpsto1_500.jpg
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    OMG do NOT even SUGGEST that!!! What a horrible thought...which had, of course, not even remotely occurred to me.

Nobody ever said I was good about blowing rainbows out my *kitten*.. I look at all possible situations and this looked like one totally F#@ked up way they COULD go...

Janet, alic... chew on this for a moment... Despite the whole Rose situation, The Doctor is now MARRIED to Dr. River Song (Melody Pond) and he IS, on occasion, going to be crossing pathes with his wife yet.

Do I see the POTENTIAL for something happening? Hell yes!! Do I SEE something happening... not really... at least not until he reaches the convergence point in his & River's mutual timelines.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Prefacing my rant:
    I hate the new companion. Where the hell is river? I hope she kicks Clara's *kitten*. Clara is annoying and I really don't appreciate the writers trying to make me like her so much. This season has made me SO ANNOYED. What was up with dinosaurs? Seriously. And I'm STILL waiting for Matt Smith to do something on purpose - though there was a glimmer of competence with the umbrella thing that made me have hope.
    Sigh.
    Also does everyone have the same weird broadcast schedule we have in Canada? We had 4 epsiodes preceding the Christmas special, then Christmas, and then things get underway again in April ish. Booo! I have started rewatching seasons 5-7 because they had the best companions and definately the best writing.
    My favourtie doctor was 10, and I prefer the companions who had some kind of postive character arc (i.e. Rose/Donna/Rory getting steadily more confident, purposeful was they went on). I await the lasted Neil G. episode to redeem this entire season. No presurre there NG.
    Yay doctor who!
  • gse313
    Just a quick FYI to my fellow Whovians.... Looks like the season is set to resume (at least here in the US) on Saturday March 30th... Let's see when we end up THIS time!!! :wink:
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    I thought it was Sunday! Thanks for the info, I'll double my time for Sat.
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Slight spoiler for the beginning of the new ep, and a question:

Who do you think gave Clara the phone number?

She didn't mention a name, and I'm wondering if whoever it was & the events of this ep around going to affect things later. I don't want to give anything away, but other than asking how she got his number, the Doctor didn't try pushing for more information, which has me wondering.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member

She didn't mention a name, and I'm wondering if whoever it was & the events of this ep around going to affect things later. I don't want to give anything away, but other than asking how she got his number, the Doctor didn't try pushing for more information, which has me wondering.

My guess would be either Rose Tyler's mum or someone along that timeline gave her the number. That's just a guess though.

And I adore Clara. SO glad to have her. We got tired of the "Amy Pond and Rory" show. The opening credits are better, but not as good as they were in previous seasons.
  • gse313

I am thinking it was River... Anyone like Rose, Amy, Martha, etc. had their phone "Range" increased so they could receive their normal calls / Make calls through the time vortex while others had the TARDIS Number, not the Police Box number... In all truth, the only other time the Police Box phone rang, we were hearing the phrayse "Are you my mum?"

Just an FYI... If anyone hasn't heard, BBCAmerica has started airing weekly Doctor Who specials for the 50th showcasing past doctors followed by a classic who episode. This was week 2 and was Jon Pertwee while lastweek was William Hartnell. If you missed it, and have access to OnDemand, they are both available. They may be on the site as well, but I haven't checked.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    I've got 5 backlogged episodes on my DVR. I keep trying to get through them, but I keep falling asleep or I just lose interest completely and switch to something else thinking to myself "I'm just not in the mood for this right now. I'll pick it up later."

I don't understand! I mean, I like the new girl, and I like our Doctor. I just don't think I find their chemistry that compelling or something. Is anyone else struggling with the new season?
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    I signed up to do this today! http://doctorwho50.wix.com/doctor-who50

Can't wait for my medal when I am finished!
  • Bianca1972
    Bianca1972 Posts: 19 Member
    So...

The 12th Doctor...

Thoughts?

Reactions?
  • gse313
    OK... Number one... Yes, I AM back, at least for now.... things have been crazy as of late.

More importantly, I can see 12 being a good thing... he has the potential to tie things back to the original 7... the dry wit of 4, the sophistication of 3 or 1, then add the cockiness of 9... this may very well be a good thing
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I so needed to share this. It's... AWESOME!

Japanese Dr. Who, in case you haven't already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak26ohx1Y8
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Capaldi's introduction tonight! (Any UK MFP users, no spoilers until USA has seen it too!) I want to go see it in the theater at midnight tonight, since I have a meeting at 7pm that will make me miss the episode on BBC America. I expect he'll be a very different tone than the boys have been the last few years! I loved the War Doctor's comment about their ages and attitudes -- "Just what is so terrible about growing up?" And he could see in their faces that there *was* an answer....now that he'd gotten over that and realized he didn't destroy all of Gallifrey after all, he feels more like letting his age show a bit more.
  • gse313
    Ok.... so long story short, it looks to me like Capaldi may just be a cross between the early doctors (Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, and even Baker) with a bit of Eccleston thrown in. I kind of like him!! but we will see where this goes.
  • gse313
    Is everyone ready for the Christmas Episode?!?!?
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    Did anyone else hate Pink coming back in a dream in the Christmas Episode? I was so annoyed. They could have ended the episode with Clara old, and I would have done a dance in my living room. Looks like more of the same next season.
    Moffat, you are killing Doctor Who and me at the same time.
  • gse313
    Danny Pink back in a dream sequence was more than just a bit cheesey. As for it not being the end of Clara, it cold have been alot worse... at least Jenna only signed on for one more season. I just hope the pre season teaser posters are correct and this season will include the return of Gallifrey.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    I generally don't mind Clara, although there were times they seemed to be repeating themselves with her storylines last season. A lot of the problems were in the execution rather than the ideas or her portrayal of them. Looking forward to next season soon!