Forrest yoga?

been2boston
been2boston Posts: 100 Member
Power, Baptiste, "power" vinyasa... I love them. But now that I've done Forrest, none of them quite stack up to it. Anyone else here practice Forrest yoga?

Replies

• been2boston
    ok, guess not...
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    I'm sorry, I've never heard of it. Maybe you could describe a little about what makes it better than other types of yoga?
  • been2boston
    I'm not going to claim it's better than other schools of yoga, just my personal preference now.

It was created by Ana Forrest (whose book Fierce Medicine is absolutely amazing). It is practiced in a heated room (80-90 degrees); each practice starts with pranyama, then moves into seated positions before ab work. The class then moves into the "hot" part of class- sun salutations, standing pose series, inversions- all of which work up to an "apex" pose. Poses are held for longer periods than in typical vinyasa yoga, and special emphasis is put on alignment (to prevent injury and heal existing injuries) and breath. It was designed to promote healing, both physically and emotionally, and incorporates aspects of a variety of different schools of yoga, and Native American traditions (including chanting).
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    I had never heard of it either, but it sounds like something I would enjoy.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    It is a beautiful experience if done right. I call it my "midnight yoga".
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    That sounds really neat, I would totally try it. Is it like Bikram/ashtanga where the postures are the same each time?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    yes... as in Ana Forrest....

amazing practice!
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    I've never tried it but follow her on FB. She seems really amazing. I would love to take a class someday.