PFP Syndrome - Anyone else have it? Any ideas for lowimpact

I got diagnosed yesterday with this. I found one topic on it online, but not much other info. My MRI came back abnormal with my kneecap tracking towards the side and the cartilidge on the outside of my knee thinning. They're not sure of the density of the cartilidge. Doc said PT for 4-6wks 2-3 days a week. Not possible due to our crazy expensive health insurance. I can go once.

I was told I can't do running or other impact activities. This stinks bc I run on the treadmill 5x a week. So I'm trying to find out new activities that burn LOTS of calories. Any ideas?

Oh, and we just canceled our gym membership on the 15th of this month, so that's out.

Replies

• msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    I got diagnosed yesterday with this. I found one topic on it online, but not much other info. My MRI came back abnormal with my kneecap tracking towards the side and the cartilidge on the outside of my knee thinning. They're not sure of the density of the cartilidge. Doc said PT for 4-6wks 2-3 days a week. Not possible due to our crazy expensive health insurance. I can go once.

I was told I can't do running or other impact activities. This stinks bc I run on the treadmill 5x a week. So I'm trying to find out new activities that burn LOTS of calories. Any ideas?

Oh, and we just canceled our gym membership on the 15th of this month, so that's out.
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    I know elliptical trainers are low impact and they burn a lot of calories if you have access to one.
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    what about doing water activities?
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    When I got braecitius my doctor recomended swimming. I believe that YMCA has pools, and the local university/college may have a pool you can use.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    When I got braecitius my doctor recomended swimming. I believe that YMCA has pools, and the local university/college may have a pool you can use.

Ditto on the swimming - I burn between 550 and 600 calories (according to my polar HRM) in an hour. That's more than I burn on the treadmill - wowzers! (And I can't figure out why running feels so much harder than swimming, but burns less calories....*scratching head*) :wink:
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    I can toss some important strengthening exercises in for you...I'm a PT. You need to work on exercises that will strengthen the medial quad muscles (VMO). In order to do this, you lay on your back with your knee straight & toes pointed out slightly, press your knee down so your quad tightens. If you can, raise your leg from this position, make sure you don't lose that VMO contraction. Wall squats, mini-squats & step-ups/downs are great exercises, also. Make sure your knees don't go over your toes with any of these exercises and that you do them all very slowly & within a painfree range. Another important one is diagonal hip extension in standing, you basically keep your toes pointed forward, knee straight and raise your leg back at a diagonal toward the corner of the room, make sure you are squeezing your glutes and not using your back muscles. You could look into getting a brace that helps to keep your patella in line, you can usually get them at a big box store pharmacy. When you go to PT, ask them to teach you how to tape your knee to keep your patella in alignment. They will more than likely explain the above exercises to you, as well. Let me know if you have any questions. These exercises won't help you burn big calories, but they'll help you get back on your treadmill.

Stephanie
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Thank you for the exercises! I really appreciate it! The Ortho told me that I probably would not be able to run again, but I would really like to prove him wrong. Preferably without the surgery. I will definitely start doing the exercises and working on getting those muscles stronger.