Now, I'm Really Ready for The Hate...

JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
I posted a while back on how I really, really didn't enjoy the movie Frozen, despite all of the hype and awards and money it grossed and whatever. Amazingly, there were more than a few of you who agreed with me (and for that, I thank you). Now, I'm really ready to get sh@t thrown at me...

Wifey and I watched The Lego Movie last night and... we were really bored. I even kind of hate myself for saying this publicly, because I really, really, REALLY wanted to love the piss out of that movie. But I didn't. At all. I even enjoyed most of the celebrity voices and the nod to the '82 space guy lego guy (my cousin and I used to play with an exact replica of guy from the movie...faded logo on his chest and helmet broken in the same place... I mean identical). I really like Will Arnett and Charlie Day and what they did in the movie. But I just couldn't get into it.

And the movie REALLY dropped for me when real people started showing up. I'm not the biggest Will Ferrel fan, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise. But turning it into something heartfelt with a message really made this thing suck. I enjoyed the very beginning and very end.

Let's hear what you all think. Don't spare my feelings. This is the internet, after all.

ETA: I enjoyed the message in the CGI lego world, the message that ordinary people are capable of extraordinary things and have their place in the world, too (very, very reminiscent of Tolkien's message in The Hobbit [the book, damnit, not the movies]). I just didn't enjoy the share-your-toys-with-your-kid-you-totally-effed-up-"adult" message.

Replies

• CindyLou1707
    CindyLou1707 Posts: 227 Member
    I'm with you! I wanted to like it, everyone said it was amazing. I was so bored!! I didn't even finish it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I'm assuming you guys have kids, I mean, why else would you watch a kids movie?

I don't care how good people say it is, or how many awards it won; I don't have kids = I don't watch kids movies.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Lol, don't beat yourself up. I didn't like " The Dark Knight," and everyone else loved it. It was well done, and the acting was good, but it bored the crap out of me and just seemed like it was never going to end.
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    I am happy to find someone who is not much of a Will Ferrel fan..I was bored as well..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I don't watch kids movies.. so..
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    damn... you guys have ruined the Lego movie for me. *sighs*
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I watch the Lego Movie at least 4 times a day. I have a son. In fact, we just finished watching it. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

The 4x/day is not by my choice, but I do think it's a cute movie. The movie is even cuter when my son goes up to another kid his age and asks if that kid is also a master builder. My heart melts. :smile:

Or when he tells me that I'm "The Special." Seriously. My son is awesome.. He's cool cause he's part of my team. :laugh:
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    I really wanted to like it too, but I'm with you. Totally got bored. Plus, the fact that my husband loves to go around randomly blurting out "everything is awesome!" makes me hate it that much more :(
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    I nearly fell asleep at the movie theatre. Mind you, I was tired and slightly hungover, so that probably didn't help. But yes, it was boring.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    I watch the Lego Movie at least 4 times a day. I have a son. In fact, we just finished watching it. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

The 4x/day is not by my choice, but I do think it's a cute movie. The movie is even cuter when my son goes up to another kid his age and asks if that kid is also a master builder. My heart melts. :smile:

Or when he tells me that I'm "The Special." Seriously. My son is awesome.. He's cool cause he's part of my team. :laugh:

Ha! I swear your post hadn't come up when I hit reply, lol.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Ha! I swear your post hadn't come up when I hit reply, lol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's all I hear all day too.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I feel you... I can't stand Will Ferrel in most of his movies.

Lego Movie was OK, but it was a let down compared to the hype :yawn:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    What's up with the "I'm not a kid; I don't watch kid movies" sentiments? The Incredibles is a staple for us, as well as Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Finding Nemo. There's stuff in there for adults and the messages are usually great. I can't watch David Lynch five nights a week without needing to pray and, like, help an elderly person across the street. As I get older (and the arrival of children is inevitable), I need more positive and less violent fare. Don't get me wrong, wifey and I still get pumped watching 300 and whatnot. But kids movies aren't just for kids. Kind of like my cousin's tradition of watching Predator 2 every Christmas Eve. Are adults movies not for pre-teens? Hell NO!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    What's up with the "I'm not a kid; I don't watch kid movies" sentiments? The Incredibles is a staple for us, as well as Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Finding Nemo. There's stuff in there for adults and the messages are usually great. I can't watch David Lynch five nights a week without needing to pray and, like, help an elderly person across the street. As I get older (and the arrival of children is inevitable), I need more positive and less violent fare. Don't get me wrong, wifey and I still get pumped watching 300 and whatnot. But kids movies aren't just for kids. Kind of like my cousin's tradition of watching Predator 2 every Christmas Eve. Are adults movies not for pre-teens? Hell NO!
    I don't watch kids movies for the same reason I wouldn't let a kid watch Pulp Fiction.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I posted a while back on how I really, really didn't enjoy the movie Frozen, despite all of the hype and awards and money it grossed and whatever. Amazingly, there were more than a few of you who agreed with me (and for that, I thank you). Now, I'm really ready to get sh@t thrown at me...

Wifey and I watched The Lego Movie last night and... we were really bored. I even kind of hate myself for saying this publicly, because I really, really, REALLY wanted to love the piss out of that movie. But I didn't. At all. I even enjoyed most of the celebrity voices and the nod to the '82 space guy lego guy (my cousin and I used to play with an exact replica of guy from the movie...faded logo on his chest and helmet broken in the same place... I mean identical). I really like Will Arnett and Charlie Day and what they did in the movie. But I just couldn't get into it.

And the movie REALLY dropped for me when real people started showing up. I'm not the biggest Will Ferrel fan, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise. But turning it into something heartfelt with a message really made this thing suck. I enjoyed the very beginning and very end.

Let's hear what you all think. Don't spare my feelings. This is the internet, after all.

ETA: I enjoyed the message in the CGI lego world, the message that ordinary people are capable of extraordinary things and have their place in the world, too (very, very reminiscent of Tolkien's message in The Hobbit [the book, damnit, not the movies]). I just didn't enjoy the share-your-toys-with-your-kid-you-totally-effed-up-"adult" message.

meh. i cheered for the iceberg in Titanic. *shrugs*
  • chrissyrenee1029
    I don't watch kids movies for the same reason I wouldn't let a kid watch Pulp Fiction.

Because of the gratuitous nudity, graphic violence and excessive profanity? I don't think I've seen that version of Finding Nemo.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member

Eh?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member

Because of the gratuitous nudity, graphic violence and excessive profanity? I don't think I've seen that version of Finding Nemo.

Hahah neither have I... I sooo would though if it was an actual thing
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Let it go, Let it gooooo