Now, I'm Really Ready for The Hate...

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    What's up with the "I'm not a kid; I don't watch kid movies" sentiments? The Incredibles is a staple for us, as well as Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Finding Nemo. There's stuff in there for adults and the messages are usually great. I can't watch David Lynch five nights a week without needing to pray and, like, help an elderly person across the street. As I get older (and the arrival of children is inevitable), I need more positive and less violent fare. Don't get me wrong, wifey and I still get pumped watching 300 and whatnot. But kids movies aren't just for kids. Kind of like my cousin's tradition of watching Predator 2 every Christmas Eve. Are adults movies not for pre-teens? Hell NO!
    I don't watch kids movies for the same reason I wouldn't let a kid watch Pulp Fiction.

I don't understand your reason.

Sometimes adults like watching kids movies - I don't get how this is like letting a child watch Pulp fiction.

I mean,if you don't like watching kids movies, that's fine, there are some genres I don't like either, but I don't see any reason adults shouldn't watch kids movies if they want to.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    What's up with the "I'm not a kid; I don't watch kid movies" sentiments? The Incredibles is a staple for us, as well as Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Finding Nemo. There's stuff in there for adults and the messages are usually great. I can't watch David Lynch five nights a week without needing to pray and, like, help an elderly person across the street. As I get older (and the arrival of children is inevitable), I need more positive and less violent fare. Don't get me wrong, wifey and I still get pumped watching 300 and whatnot. But kids movies aren't just for kids. Kind of like my cousin's tradition of watching Predator 2 every Christmas Eve. Are adults movies not for pre-teens? Hell NO!
    I don't watch kids movies for the same reason I wouldn't let a kid watch Pulp Fiction.

Because of the gratuitous nudity, graphic violence and excessive profanity? I don't think I've seen that version of Finding Nemo.

Hahah neither have I... I sooo would though if it was an actual thing

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/25/finding-nemos-censored-version-gives-the-cute-disney-classic-a-decidedly-adult-makeover-4317939/
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member

My 13yo watched Pulp Fiction. She said it was too hard to follow though.
  • lna_1981
    lna_1981 Posts: 696 Member
    Love most all kids movies, liked the Lego movie decently but was highly disappointed by Frozen...honestly I just didn't think it was all that ppl made it out to be. Biggest thing is why does there always have to be some underlying message promoting an agenda in most kids movies now, its a kid's movie for crying out loud. Meh, give me Beauty and the Beast anyday
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    I liked it but, then we all have our own ideas about a movie. Not liking Will Ferrell is kinda huge as he is a main voice character . I will give you an example of a movie I didn't care for; The Heat. All I heard was how absolutely fantastic it was, I didn't agree. Though I love Melissa and Sandra, I felt it just wasn't that great. I was bored and sooooo glad I went to the cheap seats and paid 2 bucks for it. Was it worth 2 bucks? Sure, but, if I would have paid 10.75 I would have felt so ripped off. Taste is subjective and no-one should give you *kitten* for your opinion!
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    I didn't like both of those either
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I agree - I was really disappointed by it. Even my son, who was 4 when we saw it, fell asleep in the cinema. My kids have seen it since, at home, and weren't that bothered by it.

I did like Frozen though, and so did my children, but they're not obsessed by it like some of my friends' kids are.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    I felt the same way. I do not have kids, but Wreck it Ralph and Ratatouille are among my favourite movies to watch, anyone who is "too adult" to watch an animated movie is a total drag.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member

I need to hear this one explained. I can think of why I wouldn't show kids Pulp Fiction. I can't find many parallels with why an adult wouldn't watch a kids movie, unless it's just that they aren't in the filmmakers key demographic.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I like it because it's fun for my kids.
  • BinaryPulsar
    My kids and I both liked Maleficent, though.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Duuuude, you're an adult!!! Those of us that have kids, learn to "like" kid's movies, for the kids. We enjoy it for and with the kids. We don't go out and watch kid's movies all by ourselves. We are parents. We do family stuff. And on our own time, we do adult stuff.

Yay for you that you get to do things that you enjoy in your free time! I'm pretty sure everyone else is allowed to do the same.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Duuuude, you're an adult!!! Those of us that have kids, learn to "like" kid's movies, for the kids. We enjoy it for and with the kids. We don't go out and watch kid's movies all by ourselves. We are parents. We do family stuff. And on our own time, we do adult stuff.

Well, actually I must admit to watching a couple of kids movies by myself ,as an adult.

Haven't gone as far as to go to cinema to do so but have watched DVD's at home of a few. Toy Story was my favourite.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just mean that, for me, I sometimes "like" movies because my kids have fun with them. I look for movies that I think they will like, and then enjoy that they liked it. But, I never would have watched it otherwise. I have become very accustomed to this over the past decade, and it shifts as they grow.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    You have the right to like what you want. I found the Lego movie pretty funny, but I don't require a lot from movies to enjoy them.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    I was bored to death until Batman showed up. He saved the movie for for me but overall it was still pretty meh.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    the only thing i liked about the movie was when the unikitty completely lost her *kitten*.

well, and when it was over. I really liked when it was over.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm assuming you guys have kids, I mean, why else would you watch a kids movie?

I don't care how good people say it is, or how many awards it won; I don't have kids = I don't watch kids movies.

Because being a kid at heart is never something to be ashamed of. Husband and I watch kids movies quite regularly because we enjoy them just as much as we enjoy actions, adventure, comedy, drama, etc. Not watching them doesn't make you any better than someone who does, or vice versa.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    I loved the Lego movie for the most part, but really disliked the people being brought into it as well.

If you want to see some SERIOUS hate getting thrown about, I should start a thread on how the Lord of the RIngs books were boring as crap, and the movies much better. And I think deep down everyone agrees with me, but people don't want to come across as uncultured swine, so they don't admit it.

O:)
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    I disliked both Frozen and The Lego Movie. Not everything is Awesome. As for kid's movies...we have a 1 screen theater and you watch what they play because they have popcorn. :)