What to do BEFORE you start!

Replies

• parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Just joined the group and reading this informative post from last year. Thank you! I just loaded the app onto my phone and am hoping to begin the program next week (my challenge - getting up EARLY). But I'm excited about the way the program gradually builds us up to running continuously. Thanks for all the great advice for starting out! - Karen:smile:
  • bs0cem
    bs0cem Posts: 2 Member
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for gait analysis at a running shop in order to be fitted for shoes? And what exactly do they do? I found a local shop which said they would get you to run on a treadmill 'for a short time' but they also said it can take up to 30 minutes.
    I really need someone to answer this before I am put off before I even start!
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    bump

i completed this program a few years ago but i'm starting again. looking for active mfp support feel free to add me
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for gait analysis at a running shop in order to be fitted for shoes? And what exactly do they do? I found a local shop which said they would get you to run on a treadmill 'for a short time' but they also said it can take up to 30 minutes.
    I really need someone to answer this before I am put off before I even start!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner...

At my local running store, they have you run on the treadmill for about a minute. They video it and the analysis part takes about 5 minutes. The majority of the time is spent trying on the various shoes to decide which one you want.
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    In week 3 and great information! Thanks
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Thank you for posting these details-- as a non-runner I did not understand why there were 'break' days.

It also explains the aches and pains and why I need to give my body a rest.

I also did not understan dwh it is only 30 minutes-- the concept of the BASE explains it all.

Thanks!:wink:
  • hurricaneemly
    hurricaneemly Posts: 23 Member
    JUST starting C25K and am so grateful to have found this thread! I am NOT a runner (yet) but am hoping to learn to love it, as I know this is a great way to find some peaceful quiet time.

Feel free to add me :)
  • charmsy66
    charmsy66 Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm in the UK and I started the NHS version of C25K (Change4Life) 2 weeks ago. Im about to do W3 of the programme and have found it pretty good so far. I'm also just starting my weight loss journey and have set myself the target of losing 48lbs by Christmas. I'm a teacher and I'm trying to create the 3 times a week exercise habit whilst I'm on holiday so that by the time I go back to school and get really busy again I will be more used to fitting it into my day. Thanks for the information in this post because even though I have already started I found it useful. I never thought I'd say this but I actually look forward to each run. I have also found MapMyRun a very motivational tool as I can see where I have been and can look at the small improvements in pace as I progress.
  • dan095541
    dan095541 Posts: 8 Member
    Finished 3rd day of first week on Monday. Was having a difficult time making the full 60 seconds jogging consistantly. Decided to repeat the entire 1st week. Hope I can make this through the entire process
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Finished 3rd day of first week on Monday. Was having a difficult time making the full 60 seconds jogging consistantly. Decided to repeat the entire 1st week. Hope I can make this through the entire process

Slow down. You can do this!
  • StarryG
    StarryG Posts: 10 Member
    Awesome advice, thank you :smile:
  • caitjune77
    caitjune77 Posts: 6 Member
    Thnks for this advice!! Its so great and I am looking forwrd to beginning this program today!!
  • tboothe33
    tboothe33 Posts: 14 Member
    I just did W1D1 yesterday. So proud of myself for starting. My daughter is a runner and I have lost 25 pounds so it's time to start. I have been doing Zumba for about 6 months. This is so very different! Great info - thanks for the post. I'm going to bump it.:smile:
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    BUMP
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Bump. I'm one week 2 of 10k Trainer by Zen Labs. Love it!
  • penguinstuff
    penguinstuff Posts: 72 Member
    Really useful. I also read somewhere that once you start walking to warm up for the program you should also get used to a breathing rhythm, like breath in for four steps and then breath out for four steps, something like that. Started using zen labs too, for the 5k. So far so good, it's really helpful since otherwise I used to count the minutes and I would look at my watch every ten seconds and give up in the middle, now I know I'm gonna hear "walk" sooner or later and just wait for it. I'm on week 4, hopefully I'll be able to get trough the whole thing. This stretching though... Lazy me, I always skip it xd Luck y'all
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    bump
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    New here. Thanks for this! :smile:
  • I'm just starting out my MFP journey again today - living in rural Maine we are already having flurries and mountains of snow are on the horizon. I am hoping C25K is something I can do on my treadmill to mix things up a couple days a week.
    - Thank you for a great post! It was informative and helpful to a beginner! :)
  • drmmb
    drmmb Posts: 3 Member
    Helped me... bumped..