House Sitter Nightmare, Please Help

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    There is no question in my mind that a discussion with said friend / house sitter needs to take place immediately.

All items need to be brought up.

BEFORE you have this conversation go through your entire home and see if anything else is missing.
    Check your closets, jewelry box, movies/cds .. anything and everything.

Feeding a cat does not entitle one to help themselves to your food, to spend the night (unless that was pre-arranged and you clearly state it was not). This HS over-stepped the boundaries in a huge way.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    image.png#%20PARTY%20CAT%20MEME%20500x375
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I am still unclear why the NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR would feel it necessary to spend the night in your home to care for your cat. I might understand if she didnt drive and lived across town, or it was a huge inconvenience on her part. Cats are independent, feed them and scoop their poop- thats all the work they require. Its 15 min max per day or every second day. She crossed some clear boundaries. You need to talk to her, just ask her to explain what she thought you were asking her to do without placing blame.

On an unrelated note- an unwelcome house guest is better than what my brother did to me. I left town for 6 days and he totally forgot that I had asked him to feed my 2 cats. He forgot I had given him my keys too so I had to call him at midnight from the airport to pick them up when he arranged for my other brother to pick me up. Yep, 6 days alone. Lucky I had given them a weeks worth of food and left water in 2 dishes and the tub, and thought to leave the toilet lid up for them just in case. Needless to say my cats were upset and hungry when I got home from my vacation! At least they didnt die of dehydration...

Because she has a better house... Duh!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    OP, I think a lot of people here are too busy making fun of you to give you serious answers. I was one of them, and I'm sorry for that. It was uncharacteristically catty of me.

If we were IRL friends here's what I would tell you: You're over-reacting. This is perfectly normal. Kid-stuff even. Your cat is alive. The house is in one piece. Changing your locks once in a while is a good thing anyway. I think you need to calm down. Go find a nice comfy chair and a bowl of something hot. And take a nap. When you wake up you'll have a whole new perspective. Maybe you could even collect a bunch of stories like yours and publish a book. :flowerforyou:
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    I was feeling sorry for you, then I thought

"why can't you just set out multiple litter boxes, a couple gallons of water and enough catfood for 2 weeks like a normal cat owner?"

KITTY FOOD MOUNTAIN

1358049211135.jpg

My cat would pig out on it. We went out on a trip for like 3-4 days and we left all this, a neighbor was going to check if everything was ok and turn on the lights at night.

He called me and asked if I had left food for my cats, I said I did and if he did not see the mountain of it, he said no.

He only saw my 2 cats on the floor with their bellies full probably on hibernation. I ended up asking him to buy them some more and leave a quarter of a bag and check the next day.

THEY ATE 8 POUNDS OF CAT FOOD.

IN ONE DAY.

:grumble:
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member

"why can't you just set out multiple litter boxes, a couple gallons of water and enough catfood for 2 weeks like a normal cat owner?"

KITTY FOOD MOUNTAIN

1358049211135.jpg

My cat would pig out on it. We went out on a trip for like 3-4 days and we left all this, a neighbor was going to check if everything was ok and turn on the lights at night.

He called me and asked if I had left food for my cats, I said I did and if he did not see the mountain of it, he said no.

He only saw my 2 cats on the floor with their bellies full probably on hibernation. I ended up asking him to buy them some more and leave a quarter of a bag and check the next day.

IN ONE DAY.

That's impressive.

Can I have your cat's autographs?
  • k8blujay2
    OP, I think a lot of people here are too busy making fun of you to give you serious answers. I was one of them, and I'm sorry for that. It was uncharacteristically catty of me.

If we were IRL friends here's what I would tell you: You're over-reacting. This is perfectly normal. Kid-stuff even. Your cat is alive. The house is in one piece. Changing your locks once in a while is a good thing anyway. I think you need to calm down. Go find a nice comfy chair and a bowl of something hot. And take a nap. When you wake up you'll have a whole new perspective. Maybe you could even collect a bunch of stories like yours and publish a book. :flowerforyou:

See voice of reason here...

giphy.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

KITTY FOOD MOUNTAIN

1358049211135.jpg

IN ONE DAY.

Maybe give them this link?

MyFelinePal.com
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Okay, this has gone on long enough. There is only one way to settle it. You ladies get naked and fight it out in the pool of jello. It's the only way to be sure.
  • k8blujay2
    Okay, this has gone on long enough. There is only one way to settle it. You ladies get naked and fight it out in the pool of jello. It's the only way to be sure.

Kurt_How_About_NO.gif
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    If this story is true, you can bet she went through all of your stuff. All of it.

^^ seriously. Board your cat next time.
    Cats are not boarding friendly. They detest leaving their natural environments.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member

Kurt_How_About_NO.gif

You're going to leave us no choice but to issue summary judgement in favor of the plaintiff, which will include punitive damages and a walk of shame.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    If this story is true, you can bet she went through all of your stuff. All of it.

Yeah I would check to make sure things aren't missing.

I didn't steal nothing!!!

No you just broke in, ate all the food, broke the furniture and slept in my bed.

Excuse me for being a little miffed at the disrespect.

And you owe me $68.27 for the lock.

Is her name by any chance goldilocks?
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    I think you should just burn your house down. Oh and Mittens was in on it. They drunk texted me, you don't want to know what they did with that steak.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member

^^ seriously. Board your cat next time.
    Cats are not boarding friendly. They detest leaving their natural environments.
    Cats detest everything.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    I'd be pissed! I bet I can top this story. My neighbor and his gf who were housesitting and dogsitting for us 11 years ago killed my puppy. Welll, let's just say my puppy was on death's door and they didn't do a damn thing.

They lied and said that he was perfectly fine. I got home and found him on the floor, skinny as a skeleton, and barely alive. He was rushed to the vet's and didn't make it. :cry: Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have to REALLY trust the next person to take care of my pets.

WTF? They left him to die??? That's so unbelievably horrible!!! How could they do that? :cry:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I'd be pissed! I bet I can top this story. My neighbor and his gf who were housesitting and dogsitting for us 11 years ago killed my puppy. Welll, let's just say my puppy was on death's door and they didn't do a damn thing.

They lied and said that he was perfectly fine. I got home and found him on the floor, skinny as a skeleton, and barely alive. He was rushed to the vet's and didn't make it. :cry: Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have to REALLY trust the next person to take care of my pets.

WTF? They left him to die??? That's so unbelievably horrible!!! How could they do that? :cry:

Yep. He had vomited all week because he ate one of my husband's hunting socks. No apology from either one of them. Then the following year he bought a really nice red sports car. I got drunk and my friend and I keyed it all up! Yes, it was immature but I think I was a tad justified!:devil:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Nothing to do now.

If there were boundaries, you should have spelled them out for her prior to your trip.

If you value her as a friend, let it go and lay out some fground rules next time.

If you don't, let it go and don't ask for her help again.

Exactly this.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Pfft. I would feel totally violated as well I can understand your frustrations. But then again I don't trust or like 90% of people anyways and would never trust them in my house without me there....even professional pet sitters. Thankfully I have family in the local area I can trust. I wouldn't confront her. I'd just avoid her at all costs and never hire her again lol.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member

[/quote]

Yep. He had vomited all week because he ate one of my husband's hunting socks. No apology from either one of them. Then the following year he bought a really nice red sports car. I got drunk and my friend and I keyed it all up! Yes, it was immature but I think I was a tad justified!:devil:
    [/quote]

You're a better person than I. I would have left a burning rag going to his gas...................lol