How did you know you were marrying the right person?

Scumbag_Gil
Scumbag_Gil Posts: 397 Member
To be honest it kinda blows my mind that people could get married. Idk I just cant imagine myself thinking, "This is the person i want to spend the rest of my life with." Wouldn't you get bored seeing the same person everyday? How are you so sure that person is the one? What does it feel like? It just seems very scary to me.

Replies

• Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    bored much?
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    I'm not married to him yet, but honestly I couldn't imagine my life without my boyfriend and I'm so happy I get to see him every day for the rest of my life. He's pretty hot so, that helps with the seeing him every day part lol, but he is hilarious and a huge dork just like me. He's my best friend and the one person I can tell anything to and count on. Sure there are days where I'd don't like him as much, but I never stop loving him. Although he keeps tickling me and I will rip his arms off. But I'll still love him even without his arms. When you meet the one, it won't be scary, it will be friggen awesome.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    I totally married the wrong person the first time. I've been divorced almost a year now. All I can say is make sure her sammich making skills are up to par before saying "I Do"
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    i didn't know........ made a mistake.......... now im divorce......... yayyyyyyyyyyy:drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Turns out I didn't :laugh:
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Well. I wanted milk, so I figured I may as well buy a cow.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Well, it's pretty easy.

The day I met my wife (I was not trying to pick her up btw, just stating a fact) I told her I wasn't looking for a girlfriend, I was looking for my wife.

I was at that stage in life to settle down. She had just turned 20, I was 25 approaching 26. She wanted no strings attached...
    We tried that, it didn't last long...we spent every waking minute together, partially due to boredom where we lived, but mostly because of how much fun we had together just talking, and hanging out getting to know each other.

I gave her a promise ring a few months later... but a few weeks after that (being the broke college student I was at the time) I proposed with a ring pop...and she said yes, and I had already known I was going to buy her a real ring, but the fact without hesitation she was willing to accept the gesture and not care about the ring itself, just made it that much better.

I have of course bought her a real ring as we have been married for over 2 years now, but still.. She wanted me and I wanted her, with or without money our lives were made better by being together and being able to share our life with one another.

It may sound cheesy, but that's how I knew.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    As a married woman going through a seperation... lol. lol. lol. All I can taste is my bitterness.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    I didn't and that's the reason why I called my wedding off, two weeks prior to the "big day". :blushing:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    She made me a sammich, with bacon, and yelled more obscenities at the TV during football than I did.
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    She made me a sammich, with bacon, and yelled more obscenities at the TV during football than I did.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lol
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Lucky
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    You don't know. Even with vows, promises, and good intentions, there are no guarantees.
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    I knew my husband was the right one because we've been best friends for 8 years, we still talk EVERY lunch break, we play games together, we have similar humor, we only need each other for a social life...yea...we are the bestest of buds still. It still makes me happy when he calls me for his entire lunch break just to hang out and talk about randomness.

Marry your best friend.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    The way we both understand eachother so well. The way we enjoy eachother's company. The way we are attracted to eachother. The fun we have together. The way we learn from eachother. The ways we are similar. The way we respect eachother. And appreciate eachother. We have been married for 14 years (knew eachother for 4 years before that).
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    After being with a ton of bad choices.. I guess the decision came quite easily when I met my husband. x3

I couldn't even make it to 6 months before I proposed to him, and we couldn't wait to get married.. was only 6 months after that and we were wed. We're been married over 2 years now and it's been amazing. We're both huge dorks, laugh at things no one else does, love running around in the woods and exploring, he loves to play video games and I love watching him and making fun of how he plays lol, etc etc.. We generally like the same movies, music, etc. For the first time ever, someone I'm with actually likes/hates the same things I do when it comes to cooking.. :D Super supportive in every way too, which is awesome!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    I recently got married myself, though he and I lived together for a couple of years before that and I've been helping raise his son during that time. I agree with others who say you don't "know". Heck, you can marry the "wrong" person and still make it work. I would argue that that's what my parents did(30-something years and counting for them, somehow). In my opinion, it's not about marrying the right person. It's about making yourself the best partner you can possibly be for another person and trusting that they will do the same. My husband never ceases to amaze me in this regard. We can both be stubborn *kitten* at times, but we quickly come to the realization that some things are better compromised over than fought about. I knew before we got married(he helped me get through school) that he was quite self-sacrificing in the area of helping me achieve my goals, so I knew that I would be well taken care of. We both just have to step up and show that mutual respect and put in the effort on a daily basis.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    On our second date I turned to him and said "You're just really full of ****, aren't you?" I knew then I was going to marry him. We had a good 10 years. We met in a war zone (metaphorically speaking) and survived together.
    No matter what, he got up every day and went to work. That meant a lot to me, because I'd been in bad shape when I met him.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Well. I wanted milk, so I figured I may as well buy a cow.

*Like*