Green zuccinni needs your recipe help! :)

A friend of mine gave me two HUGE zuccinni's from her garden. I am currently on a Dr. prescribed diet of 1000 a day. Does anybody have a yummy recipe to share that can help me eat these jumbos?? I'd welcome any recipe. Thanks.

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Honestly? I cut zucchini lengthwise, slight bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and go straight on the grill.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I slice them up and saute them with onion and tomato for quick ratatouille. You can use olive oil in the pan, or a quick spray of Pam, and rely on basil or oregano for flavor without the calories. If you don't use enough oil and they stick, you can splash in a little chicken stock to deglaze the pan. So yummy, it's our go-to summer side.
  • Layered Zucchini - It's like lasagna, w/the zucchini in place of the noodles. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/layered-zucchini-10000000521616/
  • bam1011
    bam1011 Posts: 5
    I slice it thin (lengthwise) approx. 1/4" thick and place on cookie sheet. I make a pizza version and a lasagna version. To make the Pizza version spread your favorite sauce and top with mozzarella cheese bake in oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden brown. The lasagna version is same zucchini with sauce but top with ricotta cheese and then a little more sauce and low fat mozzarella cheese. My family loves both versions.
  • bam1011
    bam1011 Posts: 5
    I also do the same with eggplant. Enjoy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I just cut them reasonably small and sautee them with mushrooms (in a spray of olive oil). If I'm feeling fancy I might add some pine nuts.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Good lord I'd kill for some organic zucchini from a friend's garden!! I love love love this:

1.) Spiralize or julienne the zucchini into noodle shapes.

2.) Take an avocado, as much as your caloric allotment will allow. Mash that sucker. Really, get your aggressions out. Curse at it, if you want. Unless you want your 'sauce' to be chunky, then go a little easier on it.

3.) Extra flare. I usually make one of two variations, but you can get creative with it. Hot sauce is great with everything. I like Frank's.
    ---Italian: Add fresh or dried italian herbs, I go extra heavy on the basil. Love basil. Lots of garlic is where it's at. Salt and pepper to taste. Bellissimo. (sp?)
    ---Asian flare: I put a splat of Tamari (any soy sauce will do) in there, a little rice vinegar, some garlic powder, deliciousness. Very salty though. Sesame seeds are optional as well.

4.) Optional: Thin out the sauce with a little water. I like this because you get more volume for the same calories. Plus, depending on the ripeness of your avo, you might need to do this to get it into sauce-like consistency, anyways.

5.)Now, take that creamy delicious sauce and smother your zucchini noodles. So delicious. Very low calorie. Enjoy!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    I agree with the above

Make noodles by julienn-ing it
    Scoop out the insides and stuff with meat and onion and bake
    Slice and grill
    Roast!
  • abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    I also recommend julienne-ing the zucchini. My favorite is to make it just like a pasta salad but with the zucchini as the spaghetti. Add some veggies, like tomato, onions, olives, peppers, whatever you like, and put a little Italian dressing on top. It will be as satisfying as pasta but so so much healthier.
  • Zucchini is great just steamed with a little salt.

the big ones are good for stuffing with your choice of stuffing...stuff it with some seasoned ground turkey and low fat cheese for a full meal.
  • matt_evans
    matt_evans Posts: 22 Member
    Slice one thinly length ways with a veg peeler along with a carrot and cucumber. Make a marinade of 1tea spoon sesame oil, 1 tea spoon fish sauce, 1 tea spoon lime juice and a few slithers of chilli. serve with grilled chicken that has been marinated in soy and a little corn flour.
  • amy2234
    amy2234 Posts: 9
    I cut mine into pickle size spears. Spray Pam on a cookie sheet, then put the slices on. Then spray the spears with pam. Add salt and pepper and some parmesan cheese. Cook on 450 for 15-20 minutes until tender. BEST DANG TASTE EVER!!
  • Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Bump for later
  • A friend of mine went raw and she introduced me to simply chopping it into bite sized pieces and dressing it with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. She ate it for breakfast and loved it. I found it a great quick prep snack. For the larger garden zucchinis, I recommend scooping out the seeds. That's about as low calorie as it gets probably :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    I third (or fourth or whatever) the make your own noodles. Zucchini is my favorite veggie as noodles substitute (followed by carrot, squash, and eggplant). I noodle it, hit it quickly in the pan with some Pam, garlic, salt, and pepper (just for a bit, I like the noodles relatively crispy - like al dente pasta), and then add my fave pasta fixings (like mushrooms, chopped tomatoes). You can add some low-cal ground turkey or soy crumbles if you want meat, and some cheese or nutritional yeast. It's delish and you can eat a giant bowl for not too many calories.
  • Raspberrybullets
    Raspberrybullets Posts: 17 Member
    I julienne zucchini and carrots, slice onions, mushrooms, capsicum, add snow peas and stirfry with oyster sauce and add Singapore noodles. Yumm. Will be making this one today :)
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    shred it and make either zucchini pasta or zucchini pizza crust.
    Zucchini muffins/breads
    Zucchini lasagna where you could use sliced zucchini with marinara and laughing cow cheeses
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Zucchini Cupcakes

2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons cinnamon (can sub 1 teaspoon with other spices such as allspice and nutmeg, go easy on the cloves though)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3 eggs
    1.5 cup white, granulated sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional, my addition)
    2 cups (from about 3-4 regular sized zucchini) grated un-peeled zucchini (place grated zucchini in a sieve and press out some of the excess moisture before measuring)
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (my grandmother recommends black walnuts)
    1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)

Makes 24 cupcakes
    Bake at 350 for 17-18 minutes
    Power Sugar sifted lightly on each
    182 calories each

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a mixer, beat the 3 eggs on high speed until frothy. Lower the speed and beat in the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, and lemon zest (if using). Stir in the flour mixture, a third at a time. Stir in the zucchini and chopped nuts and/or raisins.

Fill cupcake tins and bake

********I substituted Extra Virgin Olive Oil*********
    ********I skip the lemon zest, nuts and raisins******* By doing so it lowered the calorie intake