MFP Cycling Gang--8/18/08

Ok gang! Another week--get those bikes out and start pedalling!

I got in 21.5 this morning. Taking tomorrow off, then trying for a long one on Wednesday I think.

How's everyone else doing?

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Ok gang! Another week--get those bikes out and start pedalling!

I got in 21.5 this morning. Taking tomorrow off, then trying for a long one on Wednesday I think.

How's everyone else doing?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I did 8 today. I rode to work and back.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Hi all,

Glad this topic has been created. I've been meaning get some feedback from fellow cyclists about hitting weight loss plateaus. I started this season seriously in February and lost 17 lbs. by May. Then the weight loss just stopped. So I'm wondering if there's any one else out there who is trying to lose weight and still train pretty hard.

I ride 100-150 road miles/week, do 3-4 centuries in a season (Napa Century just yesterday), and work out at the gym 2-3 days/week, so I guess you'd say I'm fairly serious. It's incredibly hilly where I live so climbing is part of every ride but in spite of the miles, the climbs, the 5-6,000 cals burned during a century ride, I can't budge the scale one iota in the downward direction. Very frustrating!!

Overall, I'm happy with my fitness level, but I'd love to see what I can do with 20 fewer pounds to haul up the hills.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
  • shorerider
    Hi all,

Glad this topic has been created. I've been meaning get some feedback from fellow cyclists about hitting weight loss plateaus. I started this season seriously in February and lost 17 lbs. by May. Then the weight loss just stopped. So I'm wondering if there's any one else out there who is trying to lose weight and still train pretty hard.

I ride 100-150 road miles/week, do 3-4 centuries in a season (Napa Century just yesterday), and work out at the gym 2-3 days/week, so I guess you'd say I'm fairly serious. It's incredibly hilly where I live so climbing is part of every ride but in spite of the miles, the climbs, the 5-6,000 cals burned during a century ride, I can't budge the scale one iota in the downward direction. Very frustrating!!

Overall, I'm happy with my fitness level, but I'd love to see what I can do with 20 fewer pounds to haul up the hills.

Wish I could help but since I started riding longer distances (I'm averaging about 120 miles a week right now), my weight loss has slooooowwwweeedd. I've lost like 10 pounds in almost 2 months and hit plateaus several times now. VERY FRUSTRATING! I've tried eating all my exercise calories, not eating any of my exercise calories, eating more calories, eating less calories. Nothing seems to want to click and keep clicking.

I can only think that it's muscle build up for me. I know my calves have gotten smaller but are developing impressive muscle tone. Thighs, too, although not visible yet because of the fat layer, I can feel the muscles under there and they're getting HUGE. And, I have continued to lose inches.

If you find anything out, let me know!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I have found that it's pretty tough to lose weight when training for endurance events, especially in the heat because you can't rely on water, you need an electrolyte replacement fluid which = calories. Riding such long hours necessitates replenishing your body and you can't do the long rides without the calories. I've lost about 10 pounds since I started doing my serious training this summer, but that last 5 pounds sneaks right back up on me in the week or two before a race (which, by the way, is a relative term).
  • shorerider
    I have found that it's pretty tough to lose weight when training for endurance events, especially in the heat because you can't rely on water, you need an electrolyte replacement fluid which = calories. Riding such long hours necessitates replenishing your body and you can't do the long rides without the calories. I've lost about 10 pounds since I started doing my serious training this summer, but that last 5 pounds sneaks right back up on me in the week or two before a race (which, by the way, is a relative term).

Yeah but I got the low-cal/no-sugar electrolyte stuff because I can't have the regular stuff with my diabetes. the only thing I haven't tried is to eat lots more--and I mean lots more--like with a couple hundred of my BMR. I'm terrified to do that in case the pounds come back in their full glory.
  • jadaigle
    [/quote]

Yeah but I got the low-cal/no-sugar electrolyte stuff because I can't have the regular stuff with my diabetes.
    [/quote]

How does it taste?
  • shorerider

How does it taste?

Tastes fine to me--like diluted Kool-Aid kind of. I bought the Lemon-Lime flavor. Seems to really help, too. I've noticed I'm not getting as fatigued feeling during or after rides.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Hi all,

I'm in training for a century ride for this Sept. 6th. I know what you mean. I think everyone in any sport/exercise program hits the wall at some point. I hit a wall twice and then 5-8 pounds just fell off... so it comes and goes. It will happen... just keep pedaling! keep watching diet!
    I too ride long rides. I love seeing that this past saturday I burned 2150 calories riding 65 miles.
    I take endurolytes made by hammer, if you don't know what those are they are electrolyte pills. I take 1-2 pills before my ride starts and then 1 every hour i'm on the bike. Plus my cytomax/heed/gatorade I dilute it with half water. 2 pouches of gu for the ride and half way I eat a pb jelly sandwich and it keeps me going. Now I don't eat/drink all of this on a short 20 mile ride... but if i'm riding 65-100 miles this is what works for me. I also don't eat back the full 2150 calories back... make any sense? my brain is a mile a minute today! :laugh:

hope i helped a little???
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    THANK YOU CYCLING DIVA!!!!! LOVE LOVE THE PICTURE!
  • Do any of you watch your heart rate while on the bike. I find it hard to stay in my 130+ zone after a few km. I think that it might be because I am overwight. Though I am going 23 or so km/h and my heart rate is at 119 I can get it up if I sprint. My resting heart rate is around 43, my casual walking is 70.Thank-you
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Interesting to hear from all of you about more serious distances and weight loss. For me, the two are very difficult to bring together. In fact I stopped any calorie counting for now until I finish the century this weekend and then get back on the wagon.
    I found that while I was training for this event in the last weeks, I gained a pound or two sometimes, very rarely lost weight and generally stayed on the same level. It is sort of surprising because you would with all that serious training expect more weight loss. Possibly your body is not willing to give up any existing reserves if it is challenged like tat.
    I also see no point in training that serious and then worry about what you eat and drink. The primary goal is to stay in shape and refuel what ever your body needs. I drink Gatorade during these long rides. As muc as I need and as regular as possible. I found that during and right after the rides, I am not really that hungry. I eat ( if I have a chance to buy that on the road) a lot of fruit. Seems to work best for me in combination with a muffin. I also eat carbs in form of a bagel or what ever I have as soon as possible after the ride because tat is where your body needs the carbs most and processes them best. The day after a ride I am usually hungry. VERY hungry:ohwell: .

I plan to maintain my fitness level but ride less seriously afer this weekend and go to the gym more often to do strength training. I will then also go back to counting calories. We'll see what it does in the next few month.

Happy riding you all and think of me this Saturday wen I ride my first century please.
  • stschulz
    Do any of you watch your heart rate while on the bike. I find it hard to stay in my 130+ zone after a few km. I think that it might be because I am overwight. Though I am going 23 or so km/h and my heart rate is at 119 I can get it up if I sprint. My resting heart rate is around 43, my casual walking is 70.Thank-you

Christine, it depends on your over all goal what you should do. If you want to loose weight, you need to try to ride long distances while keeping your heart rate at about 75% of your max. Avergae HR that is. It will of course go up on hills. But avoid sprints and such. If on the other hand your goal is to improve your cardiovascular system and especially raise your tolerance for strenuous exercise on the bike you do need to get your HR up past 85%. The best way do that in intervals and sets of 3 to 5 intervals per ride. So that means you are looking at shorter rides with higher average HR.

My guess is that your goal right now is to loose weight, ride with your HR as low as you can, as long as you can. Add a day where you wear yourself out and go in the hills or sprint if you have to. Currently I think you will not benefit much from that though as long as you do not have a goos base. You need to build that base first.
  • shorerider
    have fun, Stef! You'll fly through that Century!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    This is all really affirming. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the weight loss/endurance issue. Nice to know others have experienced the same "stop loss" phenomenon. I guess I'll have to wait until the season is over and I'm riding less miles to drop that last bit of excess "cargo", which is a weird concept but oh well.

Meanwhile, it's on to training for the next ride. And hey...on the upside...those of us who carry a little more weight up the hills sure do blow away the skinny riders on the way down!

Good luck Steff on your first century. Please give us the ride report.

-james
  • shorerider
    This is all really affirming. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the weight loss/endurance issue. Nice to know others have experienced the same "stop loss" phenomenon. I guess I'll have to wait until the season is over and I'm riding less miles to drop that last bit of excess "cargo", which is a weird concept but oh well.

Meanwhile, it's on to training for the next ride. And hey...on the upside...those of us who carry a little more weight up the hills sure do blow away the skinny riders on the way down!

Good luck Steff on your first century. Please give us the ride report.

-james

LOL--would be nice except my area is flatter than a pancake. Our "hills" are nothing more than MAYBE 10-15 change in altitude. I think there's one that is maybe 30 ft. I like flat though!
  • jadaigle
    I rode to & from work today: a total of 28.2 miles. That's it for me until my triathlon on Sunday.
  • shorerider
    Sooooooo-I had started one already. Thanks for finding it!
  • shorerider
    Did a short recovery ride this morning to make sure my legs didn't tighten up on me. got in 10.5 miles

That gives me like 96 or 97 miles for this week.

How's everyone else?

Steff--ready for that Century?

jadaigle---ready for the Tri??
  • stschulz

Steff--ready for that Century?

Thanks for asking!

Yes, ready. Well kinda. Bike is cleaned, chain cleaned and oiled, tires checked, all moving parts oiled.
    I myself am dirty and oiled now....:wink:

Food is ready, Gatorade in the fridge, weather report says it will be a perfect day....

But I AM a little nervous. No idea why, I shouldn't be. I rode 90 miles before. But I am.

So any fellow biker please think of me Saturday, I can sure use it!

Happy riding!

I'll let you know latest Sunday how it was.

Steff