Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I am a noob pick me pick me!!!!!!:flowerforyou:

It actually works the other way around. As the noob, *you* get to pick your potential mentor. Flip back to page one for the list (and instructions) and go from there.

Good luck.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Hey Psulemon,
    I volunteer as tribute!

Only have starting my success earlier this year i have learned soo much from MFP over several months and personal experiences that i feel well acknowledged enough to share and support a fellow noob. I know what it's like to want to begin your own weight loss journey but can't help the feelings of being overwhelmed, defeated, not motivated enough, hearing too many inconsistencies, and not knowing where to start.

I'm female 5'5.5", 27 years old, SW was 229lbs and CW is 203lbs. My goal is to lose another 50lbs (or whenever i feel good with my size). I have lost over 25 pounds watching my caloric intake, eating whatever i want, doing a variety of cardio based DVDs and heavy weight lifting.

(I have a lot more information about me on my profile) :smile:

Best of luck to everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • indianlarry11
    indianlarry11 Posts: 32 Member
    Hello.

While I am not necessarily a noob, I was wondering if anyone wanted to mentor.

I would like someone to hold me accountable. I think I would be more motivated to eat better and exercise if I knew I had someone to scrutinize my actions.

Is anyone interested?

I am 29. Male. From WA, USA.
    HW: 400
    SW: 300
    CW: 290ish
    GW: 200

My TDEE is about 2700. MFP put me at 1900. I chose to lower it to 1300.

For exercise. I tend to hike 3 times a week with an occasional bike ride. I probably burn an average of about 700 calories daily through exercise.
  • indianlarry11
    indianlarry11 Posts: 32 Member
    I would be happy to help if you would like to add me as a friend.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Hello.

While I am not necessarily a noob, I was wondering if anyone wanted to mentor.

I would like someone to hold me accountable. I think I would be more motivated to eat better and exercise if I knew I had someone to scrutinize my actions.

Is anyone interested?

I am 29. Male. From WA, USA.
    HW: 400
    SW: 300
    CW: 290ish
    GW: 200

My TDEE is about 2700. MFP put me at 1900. I chose to lower it to 1300.

For exercise. I tend to hike 3 times a week with an occasional bike ride. I probably burn an average of about 700 calories daily through exercise.
    Please do not lower it to 1300. :flowerforyou:
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 95 Member
    Hey guys,

I'm finding as many people have heard calculating my caloric intake confusing given the ton of stuff being thrown at me. Is there a mentor who would like to help my noob questionm?

Here are my stats:
    Male, 35, 222 pounds, 5'11

Here's a bit of history:

I lost around 22 pounds last year (from 235 pounds) using weight watchers and gained around 15 back over this year. Looking to change things again.

I have become an avid walker and do it daily, sometimes up to 25 kilometres. I can walk for hours. Helps clear my mind, refocus, and I enjoy getting out. I get psyched about the calories burned doing something easy like walking.

I am having trouble setting up my intake and stats regarding calories given that I want to lose weight (1-1.5 pounds a week) but through exercise as well. I am highly sceptical about the values given to me from fitbit (gave me a 1400 calories goal on hardest mode, which is 500 calories below my BMR - seems like a bad idea...). Over the course of 2 weeks I haven't lose that much and my appetite is diminishing which I take is a bad sign given the ridiculously low calorie goal. Hence my migration back to MFP.

On WW I would do quite a bit of cardio and exercises and gain 60+ activity points and not use them. I found that I did not lose that much weight because my guess is that in not eating back my calories it interfered with weight loss.

I have a fitbit which I can sink if people recommend me doing so. On average I walk around 10,000 steps a day.

My BMR: 1962 calories
    My TDEE: 2535 (with sedentary chosen).

My inclination is to choose sendentary (after having read various posts). Maybe I am wrong but then again I would very much appreciate any support/ideas/suggestions at all.

I am looking to lose 1.5 pounds a week or so and am in this for the long haul. In general I eat healthy foods and avoid sugar, flour, baked goods, cookies, store bought stuff. My intention is to walk around 5 days/week for 2 hours at a time over the summer (as a teacher I am quite busy throughout the school year).

I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions regarding how I could go about setting things up. My thanks in advance,

Eric
  • belixus
    belixus Posts: 8
    I'm a noob i guess, and i'm bad with keeping up with forums XD. You'd see me here one day and next moment I'm not back again for like another month or so or never. I hope to be more active on here >< .
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Hi all !
    I'm a noob my main goal is only a Kg away but keep on a yo-yo diet.
    I also want to build muscle specially abs (want a six packs figure as my belly is still too big for my 169cm/70.7Kg - 5'6.5"/155.8lbs).

I workouts 4 times a week : Tue:Cardio+Calisthenics+Weight, Wed:Boxing, Thur:Stretching or I can say mild yoga & Sat:same with Tue with 30,50,50 & 30 min interval.

Anyone interested in mentoring me?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Noobs. Welcome to the forum. I would suggest reading through some of the profiles and emailing a few possible mentors. Many of those that volunteered don't regularly check this thread.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    I'll volunteer to be a mentor. My journey started when I was 270 lb's and 38% BF. Before this I had an on again off again relationship with exercise and eating well. I did a lot of things to loose weight, and while some of them worked I had a few habits that kept sabotaging my success. Finally when was in community college I watched the movie fat head(a movie I would recommend to anyone starting a calorie restricted diet), met an awesome fitness instructor at my school, and was motivated for success. Over the next six months before I transferred to university my goal was to loose as much weight as possible in order to start school on the best foot possible. Up until the summer before transferring I managed to loose 40 lb's and increase my strength by 25%. It was around this time that I upgraded my phone and found the MFP app. This supercharged my ability to loose weight and over the 3 months before my first day at university I lost another 30 lbs arriving at 194 lbs.

Over the next year I would continue to cut until I reached my all time low at 179 lb's(I hadn't weighed this much since middle school). It was around this time that I would fall off the wagon. All cylinders in my life were firing. I was doing time and a half at school, working 40+ hours a week at work, doing 4 dance practices a week on the varsity dance team, dealing with a souring relationship and going to the gym 3 hours a day when my sister moved back in with her then nearly 2 year old daughter at the time and my entire system came crumbling down. I was calculating everything at that moment, my calories, macro's and micros were down to a science, my heart rate during cardio was always a consistent 154, I would time my study sessions, and even monitor my sleep cycles. With a 2 year old in a strange house for the first time, it meant that I would have to conform to her schedule, and there simply wasn't room for me to move my time around. My sleep schedule was 3-10 a.m and when that got disturbed by yelling and crying between the hours of 5-8 right in the middle of my sleep it meant my whole schedule went to crap. I went from being the best performer at work to the worst. I went from killing it at the gym to barely having the energy to show up. I went from a 4.0 average to a 3.2 average. My relationships crumbled and I just couldn't take it anymore. It killed me to the point that I just gave up. Over the next year of not caring and partying I would go from 179 back up to 229. Having graduated university at this time and without a job I realized that now was my time to get back in the game. My niece has finally settled down and with the opportunity to do whatever I want for the next 100 days before getting I job I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I want to focus on the aspect of my life I had ignored for the last year. My health. It's not something I view as daunting anymore. I know what works, I know how far to push myself, and most of all I know that I can achieve my goals. I am walking the path of a trail I have walked before but this time I'm not working 40+ hours while doing time and a half a school and competing in collegiate level dance competitions. This time I'm just focusing on my physical, mental and emotional health. As I write this I just weighed in at 216.8 after 4 weeks of work and I'm not stopping.

I know this was a long story, but it is my story. I'm ready to hear yours and help you achieve your happy ending. Add me and write your fitness story in the message and I will be glad to guide you on your path.
  • camillewitt1
    camillewitt1 Posts: 5 Member
    I would love to have a mentor :D
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    I will volunteer to mentor

29 yo female, 5'5"

SW: 196
    CW: 154
    GW: 135-140

I started my journey when my youngest daughter was about a year old. I definitely had the"Aha" moment when I saw some holiday pictures - I had no idea I had gotten so big. I joined MFP, and started (inconsistantly) logging. After about 2 months I hadn't lost much (any) weight. I joined the Y and started working out/light jogging. I lost about 2 pounds but was feeling a little better about myself. After another 2 months my sister asked me to do a color run with her - so I started couch 2 5K. I lost a little more weight over the next 3 months (about 6 pounds) but I was still logging inconsistently.

After my 5K I started seriously logging my food while I trained for an 8K. The weight started coming off - still slowly - at about a pound a week. I kept at it, and I kept losing.

I've tried all different kinds of eating: low carb, shakeology, clean eating, IIFYM, etc. I currently just track everything and try to stay roughly at a 40/30/30 macro goal while focusing on eating mostly whole foods. Some weeks I do really well. Some weeks I don't. But I do check in every day and try to log everything. The weeks I don't log are the weeks I don't lose. I weigh my food asd much as possible . I don't do super low calorie and I try to stay around 1500. I get very cranky when I get hungry, and I get very hungry when I dip under 1400.

I also continued running and I'm currently training for a half marathon. And I DEFINITELY eat my calories back on the days I run. Because hungry.

I'm always open to new MFP friends, so feel free to send me a message with your goals.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I have been on here for a few years, and although I am not an expert, I would be happy to help out, mentor etc, the best i can!! :flowerforyou:

SW 222
    CW 209
    GW 129

I started seriously on MFP about two years ago, and over the spring/summer of 2012 I lost just about 30 lbs simply by using this site - logging, watching what i ate, working out - no gimmicky diets, or pills or anything drastic. I have learned so much on here, and continue to learn, and love the support and motivation that this site and the people here offer!! I would love to be able to give back as I continue my journey!
  • psuLemon
    I would love to have a mentor :D

Welcome, do me a favor and look through some of the post and notify a few people to ask if they can help.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I'll go ahead and give this a try...

5'6"
    SW 248
    CW 213.8
    GW anywhere between 130 and 145

I made my New Year's Resolution one that I was going to change my lifestyle. I've spent the last seventeen years watching my parents battle various illnesses and setbacks caused by their weight (diabetes, COPD, high blood pressure, severe arthritis in the knees) and realized I don't want to be like that when I get older. After two weeks I had gained two pounds (yeah, it happens). A friend recommended signing up on MFP and I haven't looked back...I'll have been here six months on Sunday and I have logged every single day.

I don't eat clean. I'm not the cook in the house so it's difficult for me to know what exactly I'm going to be having for dinner while I'm eating breakfast and lunch. I have fast food at least once a week (though I've tried to cut down to just once), pizza on Fridays, ice cream or chocolate several nights a week, and I weigh myself every day. Basically everything that they say you shouldn't do. But I always make sure what I'm eating fits into my calories and macros for the day.
  • I would love a seasoned clean eating mentor that will stay on me and hold me accountable. I always need new ideas as well. I am also interested in paleo seeing as I seem to eat along those guidelines. I dont know if the two coexist....oh well...any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 95 Member

It actually works the other way around. As the noob, *you* get to pick your potential mentor. Flip back to page one for the list (and instructions) and go from there.

Good luck.

I've done that to several people offering mentorships and haven't heard anything...Are we to continue until someone responds? I was under the impression that if your name is there then you reply back...
  • Wow, I'm big on energy drinks but I never knew there was a healthy energy drink on the market! I would highly recommend Awaken to anyone who is currently drinking rockstar/monster or any of that other chemical polluted crap... this stuff has NATURAL ingredients that are actually GOOD for you! I did my own research and found a review on them if anyone wants to check it out for themselves you can do so here:

http://wealthempowerment93.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/awaken-energy-drink-review/

And the link that I just ordered a case from is:

https://retiredby25.wakeupnow.com/product

Enjoy!! ;)
  • psuLemon

Good luck.

I've done that to several people offering mentorships and haven't heard anything...Are we to continue until someone responds? I was under the impression that if your name is there then you reply back...

I am sorry if people are not responding. Unfortunately, there is no obligation to respond. I would keep on trying. If you want, PM me the people and I will follow up to see if they still intend to be a mentor. I know some people are full currently and I have been working to remove them.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    I would like to be a mentor! :) My name is Amber, I'm 25, and live in Louisiana. I am no true expert, but I've been a member of MFP since 2011 and have lost and kept off 42 lbs. If you're looking for someone to check in on you and hold you accountable, you've found the right girl! I'm not on any diet, nor have I had experience with diets. This is a healthy lifestyle journey, not some fad diet you can quit once you reach your "goal". We're in this for life! I also don't have a gym membership. I did when I was in college, but then that freebie was gone when I graduated. I didn't rely very heavily on the gym when I was in school either. I am mostly a product of the at home gym! Living proof that you can make big changes all at home! I promote clean eating and staying active! If I'm speaking your language, feel free to message me! :)