POLL: Have you ever have a mouse in your house?

Replies

• TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Yes, quite a few times! We live in an old house that we have renovated, but there is still some areas they can get in! Argh I hate them
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Yes.

Traps.

Poison.

Plugged every crack around pipes coming in with steel wool.

Problem solved.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Yes. Bold little sucker too. It walked around the apt. like it was the one paying rent. Then it died in my hallway and I had to dispose of it's little corpse. And still, I find those feathery house centipedes creepier.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Yes I have.

I gave it green eggs and ham. Never bothered me again.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    I had DOZENS in my house once! Was the most horrifying thing ever! they were EVERYWHERE! There was an empty field next door to our house with a large pile of rock for decades. Someone had purchased the parcel and they bulldozed the land and all the field mice that were living in it moved into my house!

And Adlace i agree i freaking HATE house centipedes too! Did you know that their bite is about the same as a bee sting? They have toxins. I had one crawl in my ear in the middle of the night and did quite a bit of damage to my ear drum n canal. Lets just say PERMANENT phobia!
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    I used to like in a 150 year old house, a mouse in the house was the least of my worries, I had bats too.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Yup! Thankfully our tabby cat is a great mouser - he makes quick work of them (the other cat can't be bothered to care LOL).
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Unfortunately yes...we are surrounded by a field so the first fall that we lived here they had a party. We went to war and now we don't get them in very often. We have two outdoor cats who do a pretty good job and we know where the mice get to the upper level so we set traps...we also make sure any food source is always closed up like our pantry. It was a complete nightmare and I seriously wanted to burn down our house at one time.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Yes...more than once:(
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    I had one in the store I managed at the mall, a million years ago.

To give you an idea of how long ago it was, it ate through the stirrup part of the stirrup pants that were selling like hotcakes (except for the ones he ate, of course...) Apparently, stirrup pants make a nice lining for mousey beds.

And we recently had a mouse that was relaxing on the side plate of our grill. He was grey with pink feet and he freaked out when I took the cover off the grill and discovered him chilling there. I also freaked out. Then I sterilized the side plate with Lysol cleaner, burned the grill for 20 extra minutes before cooking on it, and sprinkled the side plates with red pepper flakes before closing up for the evening. No more mousey!
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Of course! .....but don't tell your wife this.....apparently for every mouse you see there are 9 you don't!

So.....time for a cat (unless the cat brought the mouse in).
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Ugh, we did. The stupid thing must have been pregnant, because we killed one, but then kept hearing more. They chewed through CONCRETE, wtf supermouse.

Heinous as it is, the only traps that worked were glue traps. x_x After seeing the effects of one that had been stuck for a whole day, we decided to only lay them out while we were home so we could dispatch them the second we heard the first squeak.
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Yup. It was a cute little baby mouse. So before my cats could get it my husband put it out side and we watched it run and sqeeze right back under the house lol a short while later we had to take away a carcass from my cat... Poor mousey
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Yep- left a pizza box out for a day, he got in and tried eating the cheese on the lip.

Took him to the work site over the road. He had been messing with me for months
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Yes but not often.

Growing up, NEVER had a mouse in any of our houses ever. We had one in our garage when I was like five or six and my mom, much like your wife, had a total meltdown over it and thought we were the first in the world to have that problem.

After moving out on my own, I lived in several apartments & duplexes and even bought an older, not-wonderful-quality mobile home while I was in college and never once had a mouse in it!

Then my ex and I bought our first house. It was a very nice house, only about 12 years old, but it was in a neighborhood that was slightly sketchy. Our neighbors on BOTH sides moved out within the same month, right at the end of Autumn when it was getting very cold outside, and we started having a serious mouse problem at that time. Fortunately they were mostly just in the kitchen and laundry room but it was disgusting. I think we lost count at seventeen mice!! :-( I was completely freaked out and started wearing sneakers at ALL times when cooking or doing laundry. After little success with traditional traps we switched to glue and then poison...honestly I'd never imagined myself doing ANYTHING but traditional traps but I was desperate after awhile. The worst was when we couldn't find some of the dead ones and they started to smell...ewww. I bought these bags of charcoal (?) rocks from the hardware store and it REALLY helped.

I've owned another house since, and now live in an older duplex in a very nice neighborhood and I have had zero mice.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I had a nest in my shed once.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Yes, I've had them in homes in various places, but most often when living next to fields. They come in for food and warmth.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm surprised that people say you wouldn't know. The time I knew I had a mouse, it was quite evident. It left a mess everywhere, made a hole between cupboards, chew open the bag of bread on the counter. And I saw him.
    Y'all must have covert mice.

I was thinking the same thing. When I had a mouse problem, I definitely couldn't ignore it. There were droppings around and all of our bags of cereal, loaves of bread, boxed goods & pet food items were broken into. I had to buy heavy duty plastic boxes & containers for EVERYTHING in the pantry and cabinets.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    I had DOZENS in my house once! Was the most horrifying thing ever! they were EVERYWHERE! There was an empty field next door to our house with a large pile of rock for decades. Someone had purchased the parcel and they bulldozed the land and all the field mice that were living in it moved into my house!

And Adlace i agree i freaking HATE house centipedes too! Did you know that their bite is about the same as a bee sting? They have toxins. I had one crawl in my ear in the middle of the night and did quite a bit of damage to my ear drum n canal. Lets just say PERMANENT phobia!

We back onto a field. When the crops come off, the mice come in or at least they did until we got the house well sealed. It is an ongoing, always on the lookout for the little critters to get in. Our last house was a centipede mecca. I absolutely detest them! Ortho Home Defense works well to keep the centipedes and other creepy crawlies out as does Spiderban for spiders. A more natural, less toxic to humans method is peppermint oil.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Yes, pretty routine. We live in a rural suburb of Albuquerque and they are plentiful...they sneak in through the garage. We have a cat, but she's too frackin' lazy to chase them down so we always have traps set up.