What do you use when weighing food, ounces or grams?

13»

Replies

• l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    I use grams when weighing solid foods. I only use ounces when measuring meat and liquid. I have a nice scale that measures grams, ounces, fluid ounces and mililiters.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Thanks
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    I use ounces for myself. I am not trying to complicate my life anymore than I have to and I am not good with anything else other than oz.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Europe = grams :bigsmile:

More accurate as well.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    bump to save
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I also weigh primarily in ounces/pounds. The government tried to get amaricans to switch to metric when I was younger, but it didn't take. ;-) At least, because of that, I'm familiar with the metric system.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Congrats on all the work you have put into converting Metric to Imperial measurements and vice versa.

Fortunately for me I bought a food scale that measures ounces/lbs/grams/kgs and has an excellent tare feature.

Good luck!

ETA: I use whatever unit of measure for the serving size based on the nutritional data I have available to me.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Bumping for cup conversion to oz or grams or mls!
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    While my scale does grams, ounces, kilograms, and pounds... I use ounces majority of the time. Perhaps that only time that I'll use grams or something else is when I'm making a recipe that requires it. :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Now that I am approaching maintenance and working to get off those last lbs I realize why everyone uses grams. When I converted to measuring in grams I rapidly dropped 2 lbs after 10 days of eating maintenance when I thought I was in deficit.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Bump for reference.

The metric system makes so much more sense and is easier to compute with, and weighing is far better than using measuring cups (and produces fewer things that need washing) but...

1) Sometimes measurements are only given in cups. So, having a way to convert from, say, cups of flour to weight is very useful.
    2) I learned using our stupid, antiquated, "imperial" measurement system, so I "think" in that for many things.
    3) Sometimes ounces or cups is how things are labeled or expressed in something I'm using (a recipe, for instance).

Generally, even if I start out weighing in ounces, or using a measuring cup, I'll then switch over to grams when it comes to dividing up servings, etc.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    ounces most of the time unless a recipe calls for some other kind of measurement specifically
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Since metric is what we've always used that's what I use. If I can't find an entry in grams I just use google to convert from grams to ounces.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I generally measure my liquids in US ounces (different than a liquid UK ounce) but everything I weigh is in grams. I am used to it for my business (I make shampoos and lotions, etc.) and it is much easier to not have to constantly switch between ounces and grams. Until I got used to it (or if I am converting a UK recipe that includes liquid ounces, tablespoon, etc that are different than in the US) I use this site: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

BTW:
    1 US liquid ounce is 1.04 UK liquid ounce
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I generally measure my liquids in US ounces (different than a liquid UK ounce) but everything I weigh is in grams. I am used to it for my business (I make shampoos and lotions, etc.) and it is much easier to not have to constantly switch between ounces and grams. Until I got used to it (or if I am converting a UK recipe that includes liquid ounces, tablespoon, etc that are different than in the US) I use this site: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

BTW:

A much easier way would be to just use google. Since I use chrome I just type it into address bar directly. Just state the units and a mini converter will come up. For the calculation you mentioned just type for example "1 us oz to uk oz" or "50 grams to oz" or "30 miles to km" .. etc and the mini converter app shows up directly in google telling you how much is what. You can then change the values on either side of the app if you want since it works both ways.
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Bump for reference
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    thanks for the nice details.

For myself, I do grams where ever possible - i.e. chicken breast, broccoli and most other variable shaped solids. Although I can do ml I was brought up with cups and oz. so visually those are easier to mentally see vs say 750ml (oh, wait that's a bottle of wine! hey, cool!) of a fluid.

Whoever thought a cup of (insert, broccoli, almonds, blueberries etc) or a stalk,handful, length etc i is an accurate measurement is missing the point.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

BTW:

A much easier way would be to just use google. Since I use chrome I just type it into address bar directly. Just state the units and a mini converter will come up. For the calculation you mentioned just type for example "1 us oz to uk oz" or "50 grams to oz" or "30 miles to km" .. etc and the mini converter app shows up directly in google telling you how much is what. You can then change the values on either side of the app if you want since it works both ways.

I used to use google but I found the conversion website to be quicker and easier.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    ahavoc,

Thank you for taking the time to put together this information. I was just talking about this the other day as a pound is a pound, but the mass is quite different (i.e., pound of feathers vs pound of rocks).

After reading your post and related comments it's clear that I need to convert to grams for a lot of foods.

Have a great day.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    bump