Ladies that are losing 2lbs/week, what is your secret?

Replies

• shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    I've been losing at least 2 a week for 9 weeks. My secrets:

I eat when I'm hungry...I eat between 1250-1700 calories each day
    I drink water
    I eat what I want.
    I sleep at least 8 hours a night
    I work out.

really, it's no secret...
    One thing to remember about the scale that people tend to forget: Your scale doesn't know it's "weigh in" day, neither does your body, so if you aren't losing today, just keep what you're doing, it will come off eventually.
    Good Luck!

I know this has been re-hashed over and over again, but do you eat back your exercise calories? I find it hard too. The past 3 days I've eaten cake with frosting since I need the calories, then last night I went to bed netting around 900 calories for the day, but I ate about 1600.
  • Bump...great tips!
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    bump!
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    bumping
  • i have been on 1200 calories for weeks and some weeks i dont lose anything and the other weeks may lose half a pound .(i am thyroxrine ) but i was expecting better weight lose results i exercise 2 - 3 a week,can anyone help im desperate i also add the caloreis once i have exercised
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Anyone else think all these replies are funny when you look at their ticker and it says they've lost 12lbs in the past year, yet they want to share what they're doing?
  • suzyshelley
    suzyshelley Posts: 1 Member
    To lose 1 pound a week you need to have a 500 calorie deficit a day. So for 2 lbs this would be an 1000 calorie deficit. This can be done through exercise or eating less - but remember its not healthy or sustainable to eat less than 1200 calories a day.

First you have to work out your basic metabolic rate - how many calories your body needs a day. This is different for everyone and is dependent on your age, height, current weight and activity level. If you're heavier and taller you need more calories as it takes more energy to fuel your body through the day, this is why often it's easier for heavier or younger people to lose weight .

There's an online calculator which can give you an estimation of your basic metabolic rate, but remember everyone is different and this is an estimate http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/calorie_calculator.asp

Calories needed a day to lose lose 2lb a week = Basic metabolic rate - 1000

Example:

A person who is 5'3", 200 lbs, 30 years old, female, sedentary has a basic metabolic rate of 2016 calories a day.
    To lose 2 lbs a day: 2016 - 1000 = 1016 calories a day.
    This can be achieved through diet and exercise: Eat 1400 calories - Exercise 384 calories = 1016.

I like to think of food as fuel (after all calories are a measure of energy!) and excess weight as fuel reserves. If you're not putting enough calories in to power the body, you're going to have to use up the reserves :)
  • I've been trying for years to lose 2lbs/week exercising and eating really nutritiously within a 1250 calorie per day diet with no luck. Then this month it happened. The only difference is I took a new job and I'm sleeping 8 hours a day now. Still exercising my butt off and my diet has slipped a little. It's gotta be less stress, more sleep.
  • harderpa
    harderpa Posts: 153 Member
    I really need advice. So I lost weight idk how. Now I'm trying again and I gained two pounds wtf. I eat only fresh fruits and veggies and workout 5 Times a week to videos plus take taekwondo. I am not looking any weight in fact I feel bloated. What is going on?
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    I have a 1200 calorie a day diet, work out 5-7 times a week, running or elliptical and I eat back some of my exercise calories. I feel satisfied, not hungry and have energy. If I know I have a dinner panned or drinks, I work out a little harder. I always plan and log my day the day before and change if needed.
  • I bought a Fitbit for tracking. Water intake is a must. Take ur weight divide it by two and that's the oz of water u should drink per day. As for food I do 6 small meals and I prepack them since I have children and a job. They key on what to eat and not eat for me is simple. Only natural foods. this means veggies and fruits fresh not packaged. Limit meat to chicken and turkey only small amounts. So advocate fitbit and natural diet plans blended have helped me loose 2.5 pounds for a total of 32 pounds so far I have 18 to go!
  • Oh keep positive any weight loss is still good.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    I don't really know that I have a "secret" per se, just a good deficit created by a lot of physical activity. You can feel free to look at my diary. I am vegetarian, but I don't think that's the reason. 2 hours a day of physical activity, however, is. I simply cannot out eat that kind of deficit.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Anyone else think all these replies are funny when you look at their ticker and it says they've lost 12lbs in the past year, yet they want to share what they're doing?
    to be fair, not everyone was/is heavy or big enough to have bunches of weight to lose and any loss can and should be celebrated if they made their goal and are now maintaining.
  • momma_hav
    momma_hav Posts: 17 Member
    Hmm Started a Make it a Mile class at a local running store. It was really designed to have someone running a mile abut the end of 4 weeks but some of us use it to walk a mile. I have asthma/allergies and live in Central Texas so not a really good combination. I started off slow we met twice a week once in the evenings(Wed) and once in the morning(Sat). By the end of the 4 weeks I did it. took me 21 minutes but it was dine. Then I joined their Ton of Fun 12 week challenge. Got back on my meds but my asthma dr said no out side for me so i joined Planet Fitness and get up there 3-4 times a week now and walk for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Completed the 12 week program this past Sunday. I have lost 38.2 lbs since April 1st.(I was at 321.8 on 3/31/14) Since May 5th I have lost 24.4 lbs (12 wk Challenge) I have my MFP set for 1.5 lbs a week but usually have 1200-1300 calories a day 2 or 3 days a week and 1600-1700 the rest of the week Ii do not use my "exercise" calories at all. My food diary is open although I will say that this week is the off week between challenges so I am splurging just a bit before my next weigh in to start the next 12 weeks.
  • I usually do not have a lot to lose. This time it is 20 pounds. In order to lose 2 lbs. a week I have to go down to 1000 calories a day and bike at least two hours a day. The closer I get to my ideal weight , which is somewhere around 115 lbs. the harder it gets and I have to bike longer. I am retired, so I have the time . Luckily biking a lot seems also to gut my hunger, but the moment I do not get on my bike I eat too much. It is not easy. I think we women especially when they get older have a real hard time to lose weight.
    I see guys who do the same amount of biking I do and they do not have a gram of fat on their bodies and they eat more.
    I also do not lose pounds every week, sometimes my body seems to hold on for longer before the weight drops.
  • I love to eat fresh fruit and sometimes I eat nothing else. Just fruit, nuts and maybe some yogurt. And I do not lose weight on it. Then I go to an Atkins diet and I hate the food after a few days so much that I barely eat. Of course I drop weight but I cannot stay with that diet I crave fruit. The only thing which seems to work is if I bike every day for hours. But of course I cannot do that all the time.
  • ladyblue100
    ladyblue100 Posts: 37 Member
    I have been losing about 1 pound a week (I am close to my goal weight) Since starting MFP I add more veggies to my wrap, I drink lots of water (about 2 water bottles a day), I eat a healthy breakfast, when I want a snack I eat almonds or low calorie snack, I don't eat after 8 pm. I try and go for half hour walks 4 to 5 days a week.