50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    best book ever!!! loved it!! fantastic!! what an American Hero!
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    r u for real? btw the trailer looks like a higher budget skinemax movie.

Please note I haven't seen the film. If it's half as thorough as the texts, it will likely become a classic; perhaps studied in college courses devoted to the subject matter.
    The books were horribly (if at all) researched!!! It just glorified an abusive, wanna-be BDSM relationship. Clearly you know nothing about the lifestyle, if you think it was thorough and/or well written. The books were lame and the movie looks lamer. I read them all because I'm a Pure Romance consultant and had to for work, otherwise, I never would have.

Please, oh wise and experienced one, do tell us about the Lifestyle
    I do not participate in the lifestyle, but as others have said, it's based on CONSENT!!! Of which, there is none (at least in the very beginning). It's crappy Twilight fan-fiction. If it becomes a "classic", I might just have to give up on modern literature.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member

Please note I haven't seen the film. If it's half as thorough as the texts, it will likely become a classic; perhaps studied in college courses devoted to the subject matter.
    The books were horribly (if at all) researched!!! It just glorified an abusive, wanna-be BDSM relationship. Clearly you know nothing about the lifestyle, if you think it was thorough and/or well written. The books were lame and the movie looks lamer. I read them all because I'm a Pure Romance consultant and had to for work, otherwise, I never would have.

It seems to be a fact that as a species humans are uncomfortable with boundlessness. Things which transpire outside of our own views of how things "should be" provokes a strong reaction of condemnation and shunning.

The sad thing about the critical reception of 50 Shades (solely as regards the alternative relationship component) is that it is the very people who would typically preach freedom to explore, experiment, and push boundaries are themselves enforcing some quite specific, conservative boundaries.

The tent is large enough for us all, we needn't gather the torches and pitchforks.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    In to read later ( Not the books!!! as have read much better erotica).
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    200_s.gif
  • mamaoftwins9197

It seems to be a fact that as a species humans are uncomfortable with boundlessness. Things which transpire outside of our own views of how things "should be" provokes a strong reaction of condemnation and shunning.

The sad thing about the critical reception of 50 Shades (solely as regards the alternative relationship component) is that it is the very people who would typically preach freedom to explore, experiment, and push boundaries are themselves enforcing some quite specific, conservative boundaries.

The tent is large enough for us all, we needn't gather the torches and pitchforks.
    I have no problem with the lifestyle, however, the way EL James portrayed it in these books is bull****! Christian isn't a DOM, he's an abusive *kitten*. A little kink is fun, as long as it's consensual. Anna was a VIRGIN and had no idea what she was getting into and he took advantage of that. Part of the reason so many people look down on a BDSM lifestyle is because they think this is what it's supposed to be like and IT'S NOT!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Never read the books and have no interest either. Not my cup of tea.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    The guidelines mean that you can trust the dominant in order to be able to submit without feeling terrified. Sure there will be pain, fear, uncertainty. But, you know that in the end you will not have been brutally raped, beaten, permanently injured, psychologically traumatized, angry, and experienced no pleasure. Especially if you have been through that before. Once you trust and feel safe, you are much more willing and eager to submit in a more full way. Some people need to form that trust before allowing themselves to be put in that completely vulnerable position from which they would not be able to escape.

Be honest, wouldn't someone screaming out "pickles" completely ruin it?

:laugh: :wink:

Isn't that the point of a safeword, though? You pick something like your mom's name as the safeword and it's guaranteed to immediately kill the scene.

How would you even say pickles with a ball gag in your mouth?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member

Have you decided that everyone who speaks against 50 Shades does so because we don't approve of the kink lifestyle?

Because your comment here totally ignores what I read as general consensus throughout the thread; a majority think kink is fine (regardless of their level of personal experience of it) and of those a majority think 50 Shades presents the thing in an abusive and badly written way.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    I think it's an overhyped glorification of an abusive relationship... those bored housewives think it's the best erotica, when I've read better fanfic over that piece of garbage. Oh, you wanted a healthy example as to what consent it? There are things like boundaries, and safe words.

for example- the lady clearly says she isn't interested in anal sex, abusive dude totally disregards that and basically threatens that he will train her...

So, consent is obviously out the window there... If you want a decent movie, with CONSENSUAL dom/sub, do yourself a favour and watch "Secretary")

(and PP, please look into what a consensual BDSM relationship is, and do some research on feminism while you're at it)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    The guidelines mean that you can trust the dominant in order to be able to submit without feeling terrified. Sure there will be pain, fear, uncertainty. But, you know that in the end you will not have been brutally raped, beaten, permanently injured, psychologically traumatized, angry, and experienced no pleasure. Especially if you have been through that before. Once you trust and feel safe, you are much more willing and eager to submit in a more full way. Some people need to form that trust before allowing themselves to be put in that completely vulnerable position from which they would not be able to escape.

Isn't that the point of a safeword, though? You pick something like your mom's name as the safeword and it's guaranteed to immediately kill the scene.

How would you even say pickles with a ball gag in your mouth?
    The submissive uses hand signals and the dominant ensures that they can see the hand(s) at all times.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    In to read later ( Not the books!!! as have read much better erotica).
    Need suggestions? :bigsmile:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    I read a bit of the book, and i have to say i was Disgusted.

The authors grammar and overall writing ability is terrible, I thought it was a joke like a 12 year old wrote it.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Hahahaha, this thread has cheered up my day!

Whatever floats your boat I say!

If 50 shades turns you on then great. It may not be true to real life BDSM but hey.....it's fiction.

I am not interested in seeing the film.

I'm far too busy in my dungeon for that kind of thing :wink:

smiley-sex020.gif

:drinker:

I just spewed tea all over my monitor!! Funniest smiley ever!! My boss thought I was choking. HA!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member

But if you need a safe word, then you're banging/binding/tickling someone you haven't known long enough to trust. If you're banging/binding/tickling someone you haven't known long enough to trust, then how is he going to know your mom's name?

"Lillian! I said Lillian!!"

"I said my name was Killian, not Lillian. Get it right."
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    I'm afraid folks here have a very specific, contemporary vision of what both BDSM and literature are but have no framework for prior art. Has anyone read Venus in Furs? For pete's sake,
    That woman, as nature has created her, and man at present is educating her, is man's enemy. She can only be his slave or his despot, but never his companion. This she can become only when she has the same rights as he and is his equal in education and work.

That work was equally decried and derided in its day. In his own schlocky way, Sader-Masoch scribed a sillhouette of feminism that endures to this day.

Donatien Alphonse François de Sade was imprisoned for his writing. And yet, here folks are claiming to understand and espouse "the lifestyle", whatever that means, with what appears to be abject ignorance about the classical foundation of the "the lifestyle". Deriding housewives as a class . . . it's just incredible.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    The authors grammar and overall writing ability is terrible, I thought it was a joke like a 12 year old wrote it.

Everything about it (aside from the sex) screams that a pre-teen girl wrote it, right down to her best friend marrying her BIL! I had fantasies like that when I was about 10-13 years old.
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Can't wait for the movie!!! Love all the books!!!! :):):)
  • mamaoftwins9197

Have you decided that everyone who speaks against 50 Shades does so because we don't approve of the kink lifestyle?

Because your comment here totally ignores what I read as general consensus throughout the thread; a majority think kink is fine (regardless of their level of personal experience of it) and of those a majority think 50 Shades presents the thing in an abusive and badly written way.
    Thank you!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

This thread is a reminder of why I pitched my own tent years ago. BSC, inexperienced, and judgmental of others' lifestyle choices is always an interesting combination.