Not motivated

i have been trying to lose weight but i dont have any motivation and inspiration. i try to stay in my calorie goal but i cant and i have not been working out these past few months. i also cant stop binging is there any way to try and stop doing that? the only exercise i am currently doing is the tiffany rothe dance workout. help

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Claudia,

1) What is your age, height, and weight?

2) You've set a calorie goal of 1200 calories/day which is likely too low for you--and aren't even eating that some days. We can confirm once you post your stats per item 1. A goal that's too low lowers your odds of success, increases health risks, and sets you up for counterproductive starve / binge / shame cycles.

3) You're not logging consistently. Try to do this every day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    No one can motivate you but you. People can inspire you, give you encouragement, support you and give you all the reasons why you should do better, but ultimately it's up to you to make the decision.
    Because people who are truly motivated, won't stop or let obstacles stop them from reaching their goal.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Motivation is sometimes overrated IMO. So you motivate yourself, eat right for a day, then workout, so then what? You have to motivate yourself over and over.

Dedication is what I feel is most important. Day in and day out, you stick to it, push through, do it no matter what. You'll have days you're tired, sick, down, sore, injured, but you do it anyways.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
    this
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    I can cheer you on, encourage you and maybe inspire you, but you have to do the work. Feel free to add me!
  • I have had some points where i get completely demotivated. Most recently when everything went in the wrong direction one week, i.e. i lost muscle mass and gained weight/bf%. After the work i put in with counting calories, planning meals and working out throughout the weeks, i was gutted to have worked backwards.

I use to have the 'start again tomorrow' mind set, and would binge with the food i want at night before as i told myself it was the last i could have the food for a while. Instead, i had a 'start again tomorrow' day everyday. Now i accept i fail, but tomorrow i will try harder. Tracking all my calories, no matter how much i eat, opens your eyes and keeps you focused. I now know how many calories i roughly want for my meals, to make sure i have enough for the end of the day.

If you fail, pick yourself up and try again tomorrow. If you go over your target everyday, look at what you tracked and see what you feel you could have easily cut out the next day, for example, craved a glass of coke, so had it, but tomorrow, you may choose to have ice water.

I'm sure others can agree, it does get a little easier, just keep pushing!

Also, head over to YouTube and search motivational videos. May not work for everyone but works for me, i listen pre-workout and if i get demotivated. Keeps me focused. Worth a try eh!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    If you're not motivated or dedicated or whatever, to make this change then you don't really want it bad enough. Simple as that.
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member

Go to

Just changed my calorie goal and i hope with that and exercise i can reach my goal weight
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member

Go to

am i supposed to subtract off of the bmr or the tdee?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member

Go to

am i supposed to subtract off of the bmr or the tdee?

The TDEE.