Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• jj_jupiter
    jj_jupiter Posts: 23 Member
    This. I did the same thing. Hired a trainer and set some goals. I benched 85lbs the other day (I'm 51 yo F). A new PR! When i think about the hours i spent at the gym, doing the exact same routine, i kick myself for not doing something sooner. If you can't afford a trainer. Just meet with one 1x/mo to get a program and have them shake it up the next month. Variety is what get results. I think the same thing with cardio. If i do the same thing, my body just gets used to it and I stop seeing results.
  • What's considered "heavy" lifting? I just started weight training using the machines at the gym. I'm starting off at about 15-25 lbs for arm type of machines and about 150 lbs for the quads. What should I strive for?
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Just looked through this entire thread for the first time, and I'm on my 2nd glass of ice water. HOTNESS! Every stinking one of you. You ladies are amazing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    What's considered "heavy" lifting? I just started weight training using the machines at the gym. I'm starting off at about 15-25 lbs for arm type of machines and about 150 lbs for the quads. What should I strive for?

It is really what is heavy for you at a lower rep range. The rep range is subject to interpretation, but generally, it would be no more than 12. Some would say 8, others 5.

You should strive to progress really - other people have very difference circumstances that will mean that the weights they can lift will not be comparable to yours.
  • When you guys refer to "lifting weights" do you mean free weights or the machines? I used to do free weights but then I hired a trainer about a month ago and she just put me on all of the machines.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    When you guys refer to "lifting weights" do you mean free weights or the machines? I used to do free weights but then I hired a trainer about a month ago and she just put me on all of the machines.

Free weights.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    When you guys refer to "lifting weights" do you mean free weights or the machines? I used to do free weights but then I hired a trainer about a month ago and she just put me on all of the machines.

Free weights.

I did machines for . . . a really long time in college. 9 months or so I think? I never saw any changes to my body. I started seeing changes within 6 weeks of starting Stronglifts.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Yeah I agree free weights are far superior to the machines...they make you have to balance, using other muscles, they challenge you in ways the machines can't. I still use some machines (cable row is one of my favorites) but the majority of my workouts are done with free weights.
  • Sarauk2sf

Lifting weights can mean either.

Machines have their place. I generally recommend free weights for main compound lifts and either free weights or machines for assistance work - it really depends on the assistance work. I am not sure why the trainer would take you off free weights and put you all on machines though.
  • heidicrowther
    heidicrowther Posts: 4 Member
    I am so inspired by all your pics... my body shape is much like a pear and I think I may have some hope now:) thank you for showing all the pictures!! So this is the first day back in a long time, I kinda started over a year ago and gave up very fast. Fingers crossed I stick with it this time.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Motivation is always great. but keep in mind that in order to see the results you want to see, you will need to first lower your body fat percentage. Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle. Unless you're morbidly obese, I hear it's next to impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Building muscle is difficult for women because they have significantly less testosterone than men, but it can still be done. Best of luck to all the women weight trainers out there!

I want to get stronger too but I still have some more weight to lose. I'm close to my first goal (when I'll finally not be considered overweight for my height and build) but I want to get even lower so I have a low enough body fat percentage to actually see the muscles I'll be building. :)
  • cyrka2012
    cyrka2012 Posts: 291 Member
    bump
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Bump
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Motivation is always great. but keep in mind that in order to see the results you want to see, you will need to first lower your body fat percentage. Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle.

I started lifting while still in the obese category and I am now just into "overweight". About ten years ago I wore the same size I currently do but I was 20 pounds lighter. The difference is, I am doing heavy lifting and haven't waited until I am a lower body fat %. I like being strong, I get to eat a bit more and I certainly look a whole lot less bulky than I did when I weighed more.

For me, I do weights because I like lifting. A lot. And because I want to be strong and feel good. I need to be able to do the things I want to do and not wait until I'm lighter before I finally get some strength. So all that to say, if you want to lift now, lift now. It feels good and it's sure made me look better.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I am so inspired by all your pics... my body shape is much like a pear and I think I may have some hope now:) thank you for showing all the pictures!! So this is the first day back in a long time, I kinda started over a year ago and gave up very fast. Fingers crossed I stick with it this time.

I meannnnn...if you're a pear shape there is a good chance you'll always be a pear.

I was a bigger pear. I lifted weights and lost fat. Now I'm a smaller pear.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Motivation is always great. but keep in mind that in order to see the results you want to see, you will need to first lower your body fat percentage. Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle. Unless you're morbidly obese, I hear it's next to impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Building muscle is difficult for women because they have significantly less testosterone than men, but it can still be done. Best of luck to all the women weight trainers out there!

I want to get stronger too but I still have some more weight to lose. I'm close to my first goal (when I'll finally not be considered overweight for my height and build) but I want to get even lower so I have a low enough body fat percentage to actually see the muscles I'll be building. :)

This doesn't make sense to me.

I makes much more sense to me to lift while trying to lose body fat, because then you'll retain all the muscle that you already had. You might lose more weight, but some of that weight will be muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf

Most people do not suggest waiting. The point of resistance training while dieting is to preserve the muscle mass you have.

Also - it really depends on your starting BF% as to how much and when your efforts will show.

You do not have to be morbidly obese to be able to gain muscle while losing fat. It is possible while overweight - results will vary however depending on a number of variables including how much you are overweight, whether you are new to lifting, your caloric deficit, your training routine and your genetics. Another exception to gaining muscle on a deficit, even if relatively lean, is if you are new to lifting - aka 'newbie gains'.

There is absolutely no point in waiting, especially as resistance training has a host of other benefits over and above body composition.
  • AbleWilling
    AbleWilling Posts: 1 Member
    ::bump:: I wouldn't care if the scale never budged again if I gained nothing but muscle and dropped inches and inches! Hitting the gym afresh (after years away and weighing 191 at 5'8") with a huge focus on HIIT cardio and dedicated weight lifting. Looking forward to becoming a success story. You ladies kill it....I am going to take "before" pics tomorrow and can't wait to have "afters" to contribute one day soon. Thanks for inspiring!
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    I love all these success stories!