New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi Crystal,

Sorry to hear your suffered through a major stroke. I can empathize with your experience after having suffered through the same experience after having corrective brain stem surgery back in 1997.

It's my hope you haven't experienced any additional disabilities related to your major stroke event. Congrats on immediately kicking the smoking habit after your stroke along with your recent weight loss progress and reducing your injected insulin needs by half as a result of your hard work.

I'm also treating my T2D with Met, Lantus and Novolog at mealtimes when needed.

This is a great group, eager to support, encourage and share their experiences and knowledge.

Best wishes for your continued success and good health!

Welcome!:drinker:

~Bob
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    I was just diagnosed with Diabetes on 7/14 with an a1c of 10.5. I am never sick (until this winter, which is what finally sent me to the md who finally in June did a lab panel of cbc, chem7, etc and finally called me with the results in July - diabetes), so this is a bit of a shock to me. Yes, I'm obese, but I'm not sick per se - no hypertension, etc. Being told I've probably been "sick" for years now (to get my a1c that high) was definitely not what I was expecting. I've been to doctors more in the last 2 months that I have been in the last 5 years. (my useless family md and the new endocrinologist who is amazing).

Started basal insulin (30 units Levemir) and oral meds (kombiglyzer xr 5/1000) on 7/15, and now typically have morning fasting glucose of 150-180, so heading in the right direction :) I am not going to be taking shots and pills for the estimated 45 years of my remaining life, so I'm pretty motivated to drop a 100-120 pounds and get off of the pharma train! I used MFP a year ago, and did drop 25-30 pounds (and kept it off!), so I'm back with the program with the added goal of getting normal glucose readings along with normal bodyweight!
  • bdubya55
    Hi nis75p06,

A new diagnosis of diabetes brings with it shock, and a wide range of emotions for many people that never saw this diagnosis coming, and may have not known they were T2D either, only to learn this information after routine blood testing. Some people even consider their diagnosis to be a blessing in disguise.

It's great you've found an endo you truly like to help you navigate through your diagnosis moving forward. You're already seeing positive results and improvement to your blood sugar numbers by following his/her recommendations. That's great!

It's very commendable you've maintained your weight loss. Not, an easy task.

Further online information living with this chronic condition can be found by reviewing bloodsugar101.com
    A site designed to answer any questions you might have between your endo visits. Each of us is unique when it comes to managing this condition, our goals, along with our healthcare teams approach to managing this condition too.

This is a wonderful community eager to share their knowledge, support and experiences. Have a look at the various thread topics within this group, ask questions when you're feeling comfortable.

Wishing you the continued success you deserve!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Metformin does have some side effects. :sad: When I started it I had diarrhea and really BAD gas. :blushing:

I think that was me too, but not sure, since other meds/lifestyle changes, um, treat people like that. :embarassed: It also causes some frustration, because, as I hope all of you know, Metformin is a "take with food" medicine, as are a lot of my others. Therefore, a majority of my calories come from my need to "pad" my guts so as not to literally get sick of my medicine. This is very frustrating for dieting, not to mention the fact that the food that often goes so well with medicine (crackers, bread, mini-meal) is so caloric/sugary/carby! :noway: :grumble:
  • TelJanin
    TelJanin Posts: 27 Member
    Hi. Recently diagnosed with T2, 16 hr fasting BG 313, A1C of 11.4. About 4 weeks into my diagnosis now, but looking back on symptoms, I've been symptomatic for more than a year. Currently on what was described as a max dose for Metformin, the extended release variety, along with a small dose of glyburide with my 'breakfast' (which is currently lunch; not waking up until 1030 makes lunch breakfast, or something like that).

Since that diagnosis, I've been following the recommendation from my dr, which has included basically eliminating as much sugars from my diet as possible (I went from 2L+ a day of soda, for example, to none - the caffeine withdrawal was awesome - second time in my life decaffeinating) along with massive reduction in carbs... currently around 15%. Been doing this for four weeks now - it sucks, but every time I'm tempted I just remind myself that I'll die if I break the diet.

Lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle... computers, from the time I wake up (email on phone, emergencies on laptop), to the time I get into the office, and then even once I get home. My favorite non-work activity is reading - but basically, fiction only. Primarily sci fi or fantasy, but do branch out into other areas. Well, fiction only or stuff related to computers, I guess. I'll read to enhance my knowledge or skillset.

As prescribed by my dr, currently walking a minimum of 30 minutes a day. Been fun rearranging things to make that work, but again, I tell myself if I don't, I die. (Side note: I oftentimes joke that I am a literal rules processing engine, and that I do that so I don't need to occupy headspace - calculate the rule, impute the rule, follow the rule. Therefore, both things listed above as 'I tell myself' have been imputed as absolute rules. I'm weird like that.)

I started weight tracking and activity tracking as an offshoot of this, the driver behind that being the dr's either assigned or implied need to lose weight. I think I'm down about 14lbs so far, some of which has to be water / liquid.

It's a little frustrating that no 2 services that I can use to try and track 'exercise' can agree on what the burn is. Strava's numbers always seem high, though, and just to be sure, I end up disregarding whatever they say. It's not like 30 (well, lately more like 40-45, as I've finally got some consistent courses worked out) minutes of walking will make that big of a difference anyways. Still not consistently reaching 10k steps, for example - those 30-40 minutes of walking are only 5-6k steps, depending on the activity tracker.

I'm back in to see the dr for a follow up in a week and a half, to see how the numbers are coming along. Was referred to a diabetes education thing, where I'll also get to talk to a RD about more specifics for meals, but that's not for another 2-3 weeks yet. Really looking forward to that, because one of my imputed rules from the dr is 'no fruit'. Well, it was actually given something like 'maybe a slice of an apple or a part of a banana, taken with a regular meal, maybe 1-2 times a week'. Since that rule is too complicated to be easily followed, it got boiled down to 'no fruit'. Especially since I'm at least somewhat allergic to bananas. I understand why the dr said what they said - trying to get BG under control as fast as possible, because it was so far out of whack.

Anyways, I've rambled on quite a bit here, but hello. I'm very not good at the whole 'social' thing. In fact, I have a very strong inherent distrust of all things social media, which is why it's taken me 3 weeks (since I started using MFP) to actually write a post. And another 30 minutes or so deciding if I actually want to click 'post reply'. In fact, this could very well be my only post, and if you're reading it... it means I did end up deciding to hit 'post reply' after all. Hnn.
  • JerryRW
    JerryRW Posts: 8 Member
    Hello. My name is Jerry and I had been “borderline” diabetic for years. A1C ranged from 5.9 to 7.2 and my fasting glucose level never tested above 150. With each visit, my doctor said, “just lose weight” and everything will be okay. I’m 72 years old, 5’11”, and up until two months ago, weighed just north of 220.

Last year, I began to get tingling and pain in my feet. My doctor prescribed Medformin, one pill per day for the first two weeks, then increases to two per day. I didn’t like the side effects of the drug, so I decided to lose the weight. I’m now down to 202 lbs. My blood sugar is between 88 and 128 and I have stopped taking the Metformin, and I feel great. Have not had my A1C tested since the weight loss but am confident it is lower too.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Hello everyone-

I am a recently diagnosed T2 (April 2014). My father had T2 and lost both of his feet due to complications and went years before being diagnosed. Deep down inside I knew this was coming for me but living in denial seemed like a better fix than making changes.

I was diagnosed after my retirement discharge physical from the military. A1c was 7.0 and fasting glucose was 132- not as dire as compared to some but enough to turn my life around and make the changes I should've made years ago. My three month blood work follow up was: A1c 6.3 and fasting glucose 94 and 22lbs lost so I'm heading in the right direction and would like to lose an additional 30 more pounds. The medication I'm on is 500mg of Metformin twice a day. I bicycle 5 days a week for about an hour each day.

I have metabolic syndrome which terrifies me the most. My LDL is actually fantastic but my HDL is low (although raised since last labs) and my triglycerides were high (coming down slowly).

It has been an emotional struggle balancing a good diet while balancing the concerns for diabetes and cholesterol management.

Anyways, thanks for letting me go on and on. It gets lonely in the real world being a diabetic so it's nice to find a support group.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Welcome everyone,
    This is beyond a doubt the best place to come to if you have been diagnosed T2. Read many of the previous posts and you will learn a good deal about your disease. Every one here has been helpful and caring. Please continue to post updates on your progress as we all like to hear about those victories as they occur.

That said the one thing I did early on was test my Blood Glucose several times a day to figure what triggered my B/G spikes. Every one reacts a little differently to various foods.

Good Luck
  • bdubya55
    Welcome recent newcomers, to this T2D support community!

I second Alsvic's great post. Testing before meals and 2hrs after, you'll quickly learn how the food choices you've made effect your individual blood sugar target goals.

These links below are packed with a lot of invaluable information designed to help answer many of the questions you might have, easing some of the frustrations associated with managing this chronic condition.

www.bloodsugar101.com

http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org/FreeTiger.pdf

Best wishes on your journey!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Hi, this is new to me as I've not been talking about my diabetes except with my doctor. I've just recently had my A1c jump from being pre-diabetic to diabetic. My doc has started me on metformin 500mg to see how I do. My next 3-month blood workup is tomorrow. I'm hoping it will go well and perhaps I'll be back to being pre-diabetic. He wants me to lose weight, but so far it seems only excess fat is disappearing as I've only lost a few pounds. Good luck to everybody!
  • My name is Dawn. I was diagnosed with Type II last Wednesday and I feel very overwhelmed. My doctor put me on Metformin and sent me home with a blood test kit, which I still haven't had the time to figure out how to use as well as a few pamphlets from drug companies that try to be educational about nutrition. I am awaiting a call from a Diabetic counselor of some sort, but in the meantime, I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid to eat anything and I'm feeling very bummed out about all of this. I guess I'm blaming myself for not taking the steps necessary to head this off at the pass years ago. Just casting around for others in the same boat and seeing what has worked and what hasn't.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    DawnyB

I think everyone feels/felt the way you are feeling right now and it bites the big one. I'm am newly diagnosed as well (almost 5 months) and remember sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store nearly crying after spending two hours reading labels and realizing everything I thought was ok to eat is not. I basically ate chicken, fish, and vegetables only my first week until I could figure out what I could add-in.

In the meantime, I would gently urge you to find the time to use your meter and test often throughout the day, and log it either on paper or in an app (I use Diabetes Connect). That really helped me learn what was working (and what wasn't).

There will be ups and downs in the new stages of figuring what is the best way. What works for some, doesn't for others. I have found MFP food log to be eyeopening and positive.

Hang in there!
  • bdubya55
    Hi, this is new to me as I've not been talking about my diabetes except with my doctor. I've just recently had my A1c jump from being pre-diabetic to diabetic. My doc has started me on metformin 500mg to see how I do. My next 3-month blood workup is tomorrow. I'm hoping it will go well and perhaps I'll be back to being pre-diabetic. He wants me to lose weight, but so far it seems only excess fat is disappearing as I've only lost a few pounds. Good luck to everybody!

Hi leanmachine, Welcome!

Losing a few pounds is good!...Good luck with your labs tomorrow.
  • bdubya55
    My name is Dawn. I was diagnosed with Type II last Wednesday and I feel very overwhelmed. My doctor put me on Metformin and sent me home with a blood test kit, which I still haven't had the time to figure out how to use as well as a few pamphlets from drug companies that try to be educational about nutrition. I am awaiting a call from a Diabetic counselor of some sort, but in the meantime, I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid to eat anything and I'm feeling very bummed out about all of this. I guess I'm blaming myself for not taking the steps necessary to head this off at the pass years ago. Just casting around for others in the same boat and seeing what has worked and what hasn't.

Hi Dawn, Welcome!..what a beautiful pic!

A new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes often sparks a wide range of emotions and reactions for many individuals that include anger, sadness and a feeling of overwhelming guilt to name a few. Whatever your feelings are, please know this a normal deep rooted human emotional response. Please also know being diagnosed with this condition is not your fault and that you are not alone here.

Knowledge is one of the best tools and the key device necessary in managing Type 2 Diabetes successfully. bloodsugar101.com is a great resource. Be your own expert!

One of the most frustrating issues with having this chronic condition, it’s very individualistic. What works for one individual-may or may not work for someone else. By eating to your glucose meter you’ll quickly understand how the food choices you make affect your blood sugars and target goals. These test results tell us if we can continue eating a food choice we’ve made, reduce the portion size, or we may need to eliminate that choice from our list of food choices altogether.

One of the first defenses in lowering blood sugars is using a glucose meter to monitor the effects of the food choices we make. By testing before meals and again 1-2 hours after meals you’ll quickly learn what effect if any these choices had on your blood sugars.

The general consensus is to shoot for a test result in the (US) range of 120mg/dL to 140mgl/dL and 6.7mmol/L to 7.8mmol/L for those outside the US, two hours after you’ve finished eating. It’s best to seek out and set your own goals and target ranges as recommended by your healthcare provider.

The myfitnesspal program is a powerful tracking tool when applied correctly to help you make healthier food choices. One of the best kitchen tools for me has been an inexpensive ($30US) digital food scale, capable of measuring ounces and grams for tracking carbs and other foods, along with having a tare feature for recipe construction too.

As T2D’s we’re carbohydrate intolerant. Carbs from refined processed foods, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and most starchy foods tend to spike blood sugars. Your mileage may very.

There are many genuinely kind and knowledgeable members in this group eager to help, support and encourage you as you move forward on this new lifestyle journey. Peloton offers sound advise, in that there will always be ups and downs, but hang in there!

Wishing you success and good health!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Hello, welcome fellow type 2's. I haven't looked at the new thread in a while. Lots of new people. I was diagnosed at the end of April 2004. A1c was 11.4, I was just tested a couple weeks ago and it's down to 6.0. I've lost 34 lbs so far. Friend me!! We can all use the support :)
  • Thanks for your words of wisdom. They are really appreciated at this time. I'm beginning to realize that this diagnosis is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. It's motivating me to eat the way I should be eating. It's good to have the support of others that are going through the same. I will make it a point over the weekend to learn how to use my glucose meter and begin testing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good diabetic cookbook?
  • bdubya55
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. They are really appreciated at this time. I'm beginning to realize that this diagnosis is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. It's motivating me to eat the way I should be eating. It's good to have the support of others that are going through the same. I will make it a point over the weekend to learn how to use my glucose meter and begin testing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good diabetic cookbook?

Hi Dawn,

Finding truly "diabetic friendly" cookbooks and recipes can be a challenge. Knowing how your blood sugars react to what you eat is determined by your meters test results 1-2 hours after finishing a meal choice. It's going to be a learning curve and a trial and error opportunity at first as to what foods spike your blood sugars beyond you and your doctors recommended target goals.

Below is a link to mayo clinics diabetes meal plan recipes. I hope you find some delicious eating there.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/recipes/diabetes-meal-plan-recipes/rcs-20077150

~Bob
  • Nomoremrbigguy
    Nomoremrbigguy Posts: 16 Member
    My name is Chris. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes on July 25th. My AIC was 7%, my blood sugar was 122, my cholesterol was high and my blood pressure is high. I also had elevated liver enzymes. I started on 500mg of metformin twice per day and also started a HBP medication. I am 48, 5 11 and 258 pounds. Wow! That is probably a lot more data than you wanted but people seem to be interested in the numbers. :)

My desire is to manage my diabetes by managing my nutrition, exercise, and stress. I would like to get off of all of my medications. I would welcome new friends who are on a similar journey. If you are, please 'friend' me.

Wishing you good health and happiness. :)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    My name is Chris. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes on July 25th. My AIC was 7%, my blood sugar was 122, my cholesterol was high and my blood pressure is high. I also had elevated liver enzymes. I started on 500mg of metformin twice per day and also started a HBP medication. I am 48, 5 11 and 258 pounds. Wow! That is probably a lot more data than you wanted but people seem to be interested in the numbers. :)

My desire is to manage my diabetes by managing my nutrition, exercise, and stress. I would like to get off of all of my medications. I would welcome new friends who are on a similar journey. If you are, please 'friend' me.

Wishing you good health and happiness. :)

Welcome! I gotta say that I love your username! You've started with the end in mind!

This is a great place to get lots of info and feedback. I've met a lot of people here with similar health issues that have a mind to manage them with diet and exercise. Tap in to what is going on here - it'll really help!
  • CherrycandyO
    CherrycandyO Posts: 5 Member
    HI there, I was recently (within the last month) diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My numbers were 9%A1C, sugar 236.
    Just randomly scrolling through, I realize that there is a wealth of knowledge here. I started exercising and following a 30/30/40 meal plan, but I have a question. When I log in my foods and exercise, I consistently fall short of my calorie goal. On a typical day I come in at about 1100-1200 a day... with my exercise (today 1 hour cardio, 1 hour circuit) , I'm burning more calories than I am taking in.. usually a good thing, but I am worried that I am effectively "starving" myself... but I don't feel hungry... I feel pretty good, as a matter of fact. Should I be concerned about not getting enough calories?