What if you burned 3500 calories in a day?

This is pruely hypocritical but if you burned 3500 calories a day would you weigh a pound less the next day? Again, pruely hypothetical and the only way I know you could burn that much is by going on a thru-hike lol.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    No, because the body doesn't gain/lose on a 24-hour cycle. It's a continuum.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I would eat a whole jar of crunchy peanut butter.... to keep the space time thingy from destroying the world.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    If you managed to burn 3500 net calories in a 24 hour period you'd probably lose a lot more than a pound of scale weight as you'd burn through all your glycogen with the associated water weight attached to it. You'd almost certainly not lose a pound of fat though, as with that extreme a deficit you'll end up catabolizing a reasonable amount of lean body mass as well.

Either way, a terrible idea.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    The scale might actually show a weight gain due to your body retaining fluids to repair itself.

It would eventually show up on the scale...if you don't eat 3500 extra calories the next day!

On the hiking...yes it burns a lot of calories but for me at least...I am always extremely hungry afterwards!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Biggest Loser territory ?

zeg0071289770003.jpeg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    This is pruely hypocritical but if you burned 3500 calories a day would you weigh a pound less the next day? Again, pruely hypothetical and the only way I know you could burn that much is by going on a thru-hike lol.

If you created a deficit of 3500 calories per day, you may not weigh 1 lb less the next. In fact in many of our experiences you may weight 1 lb more. But if you give it say four weeks, your average rate of loss if 3500 is truly your deficit would indeed be a pound per day.

Deficit being calories eaten, minus (calories burned just existing and getting through a normal day, plus calories burned through intentional exercise)
  • This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    actually you probably would weigh less the next day but that doesnt mean that it's from fat loss. could be a lot of water.

and great job on walking 8 miles OP
  • ^This. Also, I hope you compensate with a lot of food for all that burn!
  • I do it occasionally, but I would never leave my deficit at -3500 for the day, so after I've had my pork out session on returning, the next day I would never show a pound loss, but I will be able to eat over 5000-6000 cals those days and still lose weight ;)
  • ladymissdana
    ladymissdana Posts: 8 Member
    As a road cyclist that does distance rides, I have (at least according to MFP calculations) burned 3500 in a day.
    And no you don't lost a pound over night. In fact, burning excessive calories during cycling or hiking as you mentioned is a fine balance or calorie and water intake. I have found that my body actually holds on to weight if i don't eat enough of the calories I burned back. But that is just me and my strange body that doesn't want to let the fat go :)

If you do decide to an activity that will burn that much make sure to plan ahead, know what to eat before, during and after. Bonking is quite common with excessive exercise and believe me there is nothing worse than being 2hours from home on a bike and not having one ounce of energy left but knowing you have no other choice but to ride :P
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    You'd be loosing a lot of muscle. It won't kill you, I burn around 2900 calories on an active day. So if you want to try go ahead the human body is amazing at healing itself. Just drink a **** ton of water and sleep more if you even try to attempt too.
    Remember that girl from the biggest loser, rachel?
    She lost a lot of muscle and fat.
    HT_rachel_frederick_biggest_loser_split_sk_140403_16x9_992.jpg
  • akgreen324
    akgreen324 Posts: 74 Member
    I would go eat....3000 calories!!! Your body needs fuel.....ESPECIALLY if you burned that much. And like all the people on here said, if you don't give your body the necessary fuel to rebuild/restore you will slowly turn into nothing!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What if you burned 3500 calories in a day?

i would wonder what went wrong for me to have had such a sedentary day. but hey, everybody needs a rest day now and again, right?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
    I doubt you almost burned 3500 calories on an eight mile walk. If you go such a high amount from MFP or from an IPhone pedometer, it's a guaranteed overestimation.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    IDK about 3500 cal (like a pp said, if I burned that much in one day, you'd probably way MORE the next day from SWELLING, lol)...

But I *do* remember one day where I burned 2000+ calories snowboarding. I was stoked, until I realized that I'd eaten 1800 calories of trail mix alone that day!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Not completely clear on what the question is. If you're talking about 3500 calories a day of exercise burn, that's pretty doable for someone in good shape. How much you'll lose after that depends on how many of those calories you eat back.

If you're talking about having a 3500 calorie deficit for the day, that's not a good idea unless you're very obese, because the body can't metabolize fat stores quickly enough to fuel that. Meaning you're going to be burning up parts of your body you'd rather not burn up.
  • What if you burned 3500 calories in a day?

i would wonder what went wrong for me to have had such a sedentary day. but hey, everybody needs a rest day now and again, right?
    Lol Nice!
  • This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
    I doubt you almost burned 3500 calories on an eight mile walk. If you go such a high amount from MFP or from an IPhone pedometer, it's a guaranteed overestimation.
    Well, I am 100 pounds overweight right now and it took me four hours.
  • As a road cyclist that does distance rides, I have (at least according to MFP calculations) burned 3500 in a day.
    And no you don't lost a pound over night. In fact, burning excessive calories during cycling or hiking as you mentioned is a fine balance or calorie and water intake. I have found that my body actually holds on to weight if i don't eat enough of the calories I burned back. But that is just me and my strange body that doesn't want to let the fat go :)

If you do decide to an activity that will burn that much make sure to plan ahead, know what to eat before, during and after. Bonking is quite common with excessive exercise and believe me there is nothing worse than being 2hours from home on a bike and not having one ounce of energy left but knowing you have no other choice but to ride :P
    Before I got sick and gained all this weight I got lost one time on the bike path in Monterey CA and ended up biking twenty miles round trip. Half way through I had to stop and ended up napping on the beach. After that I started biking 10- 30 miles a day and eating a ton while still losing weight. :)