What if you burned 3500 calories in a day?

Replies

• SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    I'm planning a 50 mile ride today. I'm also planning eating most of what I burn back, but I'm guessing I won't eat enough to make up for the whole deficit. I'll let you know what the scale looks like tomorrow.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
    I doubt you almost burned 3500 calories on an eight mile walk. If you go such a high amount from MFP or from an IPhone pedometer, it's a guaranteed overestimation.
    Well, I am 100 pounds overweight right now and it took me four hours.

I plugged in some numbers to greatly over estimate your weight and effort and it still came up to half that. I stumbled across this formula for net calories burned:

Jogging/running: 0.63 X body weight (lbs) X distance (miles)

Walking replace .63 with .3.

I know it was just a quick point of curiousity for you, but this a valuable lesson. People often wonder why they're not losing weight or not losing as quickly as they think they should. It 100% either has to do with under estimating food eaten, or over estimating calories burned :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
    I doubt you almost burned 3500 calories on an eight mile walk. If you go such a high amount from MFP or from an IPhone pedometer, it's a guaranteed overestimation.

8 miles walking @ 300 pounds -> about 800 calories.
  • This is really interesting thanks for answering my question! Just so everyone know I dont plan on trying this it was a thought that came up during an 8 mile walk where I almost unintentionally burned that amount.
    How long did it take you?

8 miles walking @ 300 pounds -> about 800 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    If I use the METs value for walking 2.8-3.2mph and apply it to a BMR of 1843 (Katch-Mcardle for 300lbs. and 50%BF), I estimate walking 8 mph burns around 1400 gross or 1000 net calories. Meaning 400 of the 1400 you would've burned sitting at home those hours.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/walking

So, yeah, 3500 is not even in the ballpark.

Where did that even come from? If I put in walking 3mph for 160mins. (comes out to 8 miles at moderate pace) in MFP for me it spits out around 600 calories.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    I can honestly say in my experience as I have done this multiple times, yes even in my diary, I am extreme with the diet and exercise, a person DOES NOT LOSE A POUND OVERNIGHT from that much exercise. You could do 5,000 even 10,000 if you survive, you won't lose weight. I have sometimes weighed more after.

However you lose weight the next few days, half a week, and it starts to come off like crazy.

If you want to believe it eats your muscle, fine but gains doesn't explain that. If I can lift better one day versus another, go longer, am I supposed to believe my muscle that I built up for years is disappearing daily? No, I don't.

Show me pictures of other people, sure... but they aren't me. I used to be thin from my first weight loss journey long ago and I didn't lose muscle back then either. Call it denial if you want.

But for the OP, starting out in weight loss, this should be totally avoided. You have to be extremely fit, and mentally fit to even attempt the real number plus not binge eat after.
  • As a road cyclist that does distance rides, I have (at least according to MFP calculations) burned 3500 in a day.
    And no you don't lost a pound over night. In fact, burning excessive calories during cycling or hiking as you mentioned is a fine balance or calorie and water intake. I have found that my body actually holds on to weight if i don't eat enough of the calories I burned back. But that is just me and my strange body that doesn't want to let the fat go :)

If you do decide to an activity that will burn that much make sure to plan ahead, know what to eat before, during and after. Bonking is quite common with excessive exercise and believe me there is nothing worse than being 2hours from home on a bike and not having one ounce of energy left but knowing you have no other choice but to ride :P

I have the same experience. I think the calories MFP gives me for biking are way too much. I bike practically every day and I think my body is so used to it, that I do not burn so many calories. I also seem to be gaining sometimes instead of losing despite biking three or four hours a day. The irony is the more I bike the less hungry I am and I probably do not eat enough. But in the long run I always drop weight if I bike every day.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    I am not sure
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Well, I could certainly be wrong then. :smile: But, it still seems overestimated.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    I wish!!!!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member

Either way, a terrible idea.

Not at all .. That 'about' a Marathon.... it's not like you'd do one the next day too...

But as most say - you wouldn't be using fat as the only fuel - so you wouldn't lose a pound of fat weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    If I use the METs value for walking 2.8-3.2mph and apply it to a BMR of 1843 (Katch-Mcardle for 300lbs. and 50%BF), I estimate walking 8 mph burns around 1400 gross or 1000 net calories. Meaning 400 of the 1400 you would've burned sitting at home those hours.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/walking

Where did that even come from? If I put in walking 3mph for 160mins. (comes out to 8 miles at moderate pace) in MFP for me it spits out around 600 calories.

The link you posted, are those realistic numbers? May I ask how you calculate with them. I'm trying to find out how much calories I'd burn with for example swimming laps at various intensities. Thanks.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member

I walk eight miles pretty much every day and I started doing that when I had over 100lb to lose. At your own admission it took four hours to walk so that's an average of 2mph. There's absolutely no way whatsoever that you burned 3,500 calories for that walk, no matter if you're 100lb overweight.

It's great that you did the walk, I'm not knocking you for that but please don't think that you've burned 3,500 calories doing it. It's probably nearer 700-800.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

The link you posted, are those realistic numbers? May I ask how you calculate with them. I'm trying to find out how much calories I'd burn with for example swimming laps at various intensities. Thanks.

If an activity has a MET value of (for example) 3, it means you are burning calories at 3 times your basal expenditure rate. So if your BMR/RMR is 2000, that's an hourly rate of 83 calories (this doesn't account for sleepy time, it's just rough), so an activity level of 3 would mean you burn 3*83 -> 249 calories in total. Or (3-1) * 83 -> 166 calories above your BMR/RMR.

METs tables here.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/water-activities

Like everything else involving calories, understand that there are error bars are on all the numbers! Forest, trees, etc. :drinker:
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    I went on a 10-hour hike last month that burned around 3500 kcal (btw: no way does an 8 mile walk burn that much).
    I was curious on the impact on my weight loss as well, although I didn't do it for that purpose. Result: None at all, my weight loss went on but at the usual pace. So it hadn't really an effect whatsoever, even though I didn't eat back any of the exercise calories. (I would have, but how on earth are you supposed to consume >5000 kcal when you spend the whole day hiking?)
  • In a perfect world that would be great! There would be no obesity if ppl would just exerciese! I would be an exercising FOOL! LOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

To get an approximation of the net calories expended walking multiply you weight (in lbs) by .30 for every mile walked (this formula would be conservative if there was also a considerable vertical change in terrain or if you were on a treadmill at a steep incline) so unless you weigh 1,400 lbs you did not expend an additional 3500 cal walking 8 miles.:laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

I walk eight miles pretty much every day and I started doing that when I had over 100lb to lose. At your own admission it took four hours to walk so that's an average of 2mph. There's absolutely no way whatsoever that you burned 3,500 calories for that walk, no matter if you're 100lb overweight.

It's great that you did the walk, I'm not knocking you for that but please don't think that you've burned 3,500 calories doing it. It's probably nearer 700-800.
    That's what I thought as well, but that is still a great burn.
  • Well that is an interesting though. Good job on your LOOOONG walk. I hope you allowed yourself some carbs following the walk.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

If an activity has a MET value of (for example) 3, it means you are burning calories at 3 times your basal expenditure rate. So if your BMR/RMR is 2000, that's an hourly rate of 83 calories (this doesn't account for sleepy time, it's just rough), so an activity level of 3 would mean you burn 3*83 -> 249 calories in total. Or (3-1) * 83 -> 166 calories above your BMR/RMR.

METs tables here.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/water-activities

Like everything else involving calories, understand that there are error bars are on all the numbers! Forest, trees, etc. :drinker:
    Right. Also, here is info about the compendium.

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/compendium.htm

I'm pretty sure Fitbit uses it for its calorie estimates and I assume the other trackers and most of the databases do as well. I'm not sure about MFP's activity database, I've never used it.