What am I doing wrong!?!?!?!?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    You're probably not doing anything wrong. You've hit a plateau and it's normal. Decrease your carbs and kick up your cardio for a few days to a week. Hang in there and try not to be discouraged.
    Plateau is just another word for eating too much.

Decreasing carbs is a temporary fix and will decrease water weight but not fat. If you look at her diary, she is already excessively exercising.
  • You're probably not doing anything wrong. You've hit a plateau and it's normal. Decrease your carbs and kick up your cardio for a few days to a week. Hang in there and try not to be discouraged.

Decreasing carbs is a temporary fix and will decrease water weight but not fat. If you look at her diary, she is already excessively exercising.

Why do you call a plateau that? I'm honestly curious because I've never heard that definition before. People will tell me when dieting that its normal to hit a plateau and just keep doing what you're doing.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I give up. Maybe I'm on ignore. :laugh:
  • You're probably not doing anything wrong. You've hit a plateau and it's normal. Decrease your carbs and kick up your cardio for a few days to a week. Hang in there and try not to be discouraged.

I don't know about that. I hit 2 plataues during my weight loss journey before. Stood still for a month. I never decreased calories. I just switched them up day to day instead of eating the same everyday, but my deficit remained the same...and after a month of doing that I started losing again. On the same deficit. And no I didn't exercise more because back then I was too out of shape to survive it. And yes I weigh everything. Even my coffee granules to make sure they are 10grams.

But hey. I'm a special snowflake :wink:

ETA: Or maybe I just had water retention for a month... :tongue:
  • SLLRunner
    You're probably not doing anything wrong. You've hit a plateau and it's normal. Decrease your carbs and kick up your cardio for a few days to a week. Hang in there and try not to be discouraged.

Why do you call a plateau that? I'm honestly curious because I've never heard that definition before. People will tell me when dieting that its normal to hit a plateau and just keep doing what you're doing.
    Because, in general people use plateau to describe any time they are not losing weight for any period of time. Setting any medical conditions aside, the reason we've stopped losing weight is because we have stopped eating at a calorie deficit. This happens when we overestimate calorie burns and underestimate food intake, or when we simply become a little lax and stop logging food.

I've been there too. :smile:

Also, weight loss is not linear. Some weeks we gain, some weeks we lose, success is all about the downward movement (or upward if you're trying to gain weight, or the straight line if you're trying to maintain).
  • SLLRunner

I don't know about that. I hit 2 plataues during my weight loss journey before. Stood still for a month. I never decreased calories. I just switched them up day to day instead of eating the same everyday, but my deficit remained the same...and after a month of doing that I started losing again. On the same deficit. And no I didn't exercise more because back then I was too out of shape to survive it. And yes I weigh everything. Even my coffee granules to make sure they are 10grams.

Well, none of us get to be special snowflakes. :wink: :bigsmile: Weight loss is not linear, water retention is normal, and weight naturally fluctuates.

A calorie deficit causes weight loss, a surplus causes weight gain, and no deficit or surplus causes maintenance. It's science.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member

Well, none of us get to be special snowflakes. :wink: :bigsmile: Weight loss is not linear, water retention is normal, and weight naturally fluctuates.

A calorie deficit causes weight loss, a surplus causes weight gain, and no deficit or surplus causes maintenance. It's science.
    tumblr_lptp0wk3TW1qc9ljx.gif

so, long story short, OP, you're not logging accurately/correctly. Because of that, you're not eating the correct amount to allow weight loss.

You're not gaining muscle.
    You're not replacing fat with muscle.
    You're not a special snowflake.

You're just not measuring your calories in and matching the calories out.

Get a digital food scale, use the generic (non-user created) entries in the diary.

Or just eat a little less, I guess.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Perhaps get your BF% checked, if you are really low you may not be able to lose any more without losing muscle.

How do you work out? I prefer, and find that doing intervals helps burn more as opposed to running for a couple miles straight.
  • Perhaps get your BF% checked, if you are really low you may not be able to lose any more without losing muscle.

How do you work out? I prefer, and find that doing intervals helps burn more as opposed to running for a couple miles straight.

My workouts involve running, walking fast pace, cycling, strength training.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Do you realise that you are ignoring the most important two points, that have been repeatedly made? Can't figure out if you're just skim-reading the thread or deliberately ignoring them!
  • Do you realise that you are ignoring the most important two points, that have been repeatedly made? Can't figure out if you're just skim-reading the thread or deliberately ignoring them!

What?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Do you realise that you are ignoring the most important two points, that have been repeatedly made? Can't figure out if you're just skim-reading the thread or deliberately ignoring them!

What?
    you aren't accurately logging your intake or calorie burns.
    because of that, you're eating more than you think / not burning as much as you think.
    That's why you aren't losing weight.

It's been said like a dozen times. This is my second attempt at saying the same thing again.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

What?

YGBFSM

Do you use this? If not, it's a big part of your problem.
    14012995.jpg

Do you use this? If not, it's another part of your problem.
    prem_chest_transmitter-web.jpg
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'm amazed someone has 3 - 6 hours a day to exercise.
  • moniker_74
    moniker_74 Posts: 16 Member
    You could try getting an on-body fitness tracker (like fitbit or bodymedia) to get a better idea what your actual calorie burn is.

Beyond that, I agree with everyone else that you need to log everything accurately.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I give up. Maybe I'm on ignore. :laugh:
    *hugs*
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    OP, you are gorgeous. I'd give up a finger to look like you! I think that if you lost fifteen pounds, you might start looking sick, but that's for you to judge, of course!

The only ways to lose, as you know, are to eat less, exercise more or both.

Good luck!!

What?

YGBFSM

Do you use this? If not, it's a big part of your problem.
    14012995.jpg

Do you use this? If not, it's another part of your problem.
    prem_chest_transmitter-web.jpg
    I know what the scale is. I don't use one, but I know what it is.

What the heck is the belt-looking thing?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member

What?

Basically, what you are entering in your diary is WRONG.
    Get a FOOD scale.
    WEIGH all your food and enter the WEIGHT.
    Don't use Cups/teaspoons/tablespoons.
    Don't use size (small banana/ medium apple / etc...)

Weight is your friend. only use that to log ANYTHING that goes in your mouth.

For the exercise - what amount of calories you are showing as burning based on the time you spent doing said exercise CANNOT be real.
    If you rely on MFP to input the calories burned then please make sure if you are eating back your calories ONLY EAT ABOUT HALF. This is because the calculator MyFitnessPal uses is known to OVERSHOW what you burn for all exercises.

THIS is the only reason why you are not losing any more weight. You are NOT eating what you think you are, and you are NOT burning what you think you are.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Since I last lost weight was senior year of high school. And I'm nineteen how. Calorie intake is usually around 1300 to 1400 and with my workouts I typically burn around 1200 or 1400.

Are you eating back your exercise calories to make sure you net at minimum 1200+ calories?

If you are eating 1300-1400 and buring 1200-1400 your body is only effectively getting 0-100 net calories per day, so you would need to add MORE calories.
  • I'm amazed someone has 3 - 6 hours a day to exercise.

Not really that hard to workout that much. Really easy actually. Just takes dedication.