People who say they'll never get married

JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Nevermind.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I was just summoned but then nothing was here. Confusing!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    lol....why did you change your mind?......I've never married, been asked several times, but I dont believe in it, for numerous reasons, not least because of the poor role models I had as parents. So I guess if your question was "Did you mean it when you said you'd never get married?" The defining answer is YES!! :bigsmile:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    I wasn't really wanting to get married again, but I also was fairly clear once I got into a relationship that we wouldn't be dating for years and no marriage (mainly b/c of my view on reserving sex for marriage) so anyone I dated long term needed to be someone I could see changing my mind about marriage. Most guys I dated did not change my mind about marriage.

The original post was spurred by finding out the last of the guys I dated who told me "I'll never get married" got hitched. So that makes all of them. And they all got married before me (date is set for summer 2015), which tells me that deep down inside few of us really, truly, hate the institution of marriage. Deep down inside I think we're all searching for someone who helps us feel awesome about ourselves and carries with them the promise of feeling that way forever.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    I don't think I will ever get married personally. I'm not religious, and I don't have this "dream" of getting married some day either.

I think the forever thing is nice, but I don't think that getting married would bring much more things into the relationship. I am not opposed to it, and don't hate it, though.

Just not my thing.
  • AnnaPixie
    I wasn't really wanting to get married again, but I also was fairly clear once I got into a relationship that we wouldn't be dating for years and no marriage (mainly b/c of my view on reserving sex for marriage) so anyone I dated long term needed to be someone I could see changing my mind about marriage. Most guys I dated did not change my mind about marriage.

The original post was spurred by finding out the last of the guys I dated who told me "I'll never get married" got hitched. So that makes all of them. And they all got married before me (date is set for summer 2015), which tells me that deep down inside few of us really, truly, hate the institution of marriage. Deep down inside I think we're all searching for someone who helps us feel awesome about ourselves and carries with them the promise of feeling that way forever.

My best friend - male - always said he'd never get married. But he got married!! :laugh: However, the reason he got married is that his g/f wanted to and pretty much said she's leave him if the didn't marry her. Fast forward 6 years and they are divorced.

I'm of the opinion that women more want to get married than men, and that if given an ultimatum the man will go along with it. Not ever heard a story of the reverse but I guess some men want the marriage thing too.

I dont believe you need to be married for your partner to make you feel awesome. I tend to think that there are men out there that offer this kind of reassurance and there are men that don't, married or not. In fact, I'm pretty sure as the years pass by the compliments run dry too. But then again, I'm just talking LONG term relationships now which invariably lose their sparkle along the way........:noway:

Not ALL of them!! I know some long term couples that still have that sparkle, but far and few......sadly :brokenheart:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    My best friend - male - always said he'd never get married. But he got married!! :laugh: However, the reason he got married is that his g/f wanted to and pretty much said she's leave him if the didn't marry her. Fast forward 6 years and they are divorced.
    I was that man ^!!!
    I was given an ultimatum, I was young, had been drug far away from home, naieve, had not dated anyone else-ever, scared and depended on this guy. So I said yes.
    6 years later I left the douche. He gave me two beautiful children that he does not care to have anything to do with, I am happy to have what I have.

I believe all too much it is women now days that are competing with other women to get married first, to have a man first...Have a bigger wedding, have the most babies, get to stay at home....OMg you name it.

Honestly, unless there are huge tax breaks or a financial incentive to being "married" screw it. No. You keep your *kitten*, I'll keep mine..... God I'm glad I know this now. :)

I guess I feel like it's easier to "leave" if you aren't married, so that makes it much more satisfying to know that they are staying even though it's "easier" to leave.
    And if you need to take a vacation aka "have space" go, get the hell outta here....and when you're done with your funk. I'll be here. Just don't bring back any cooties. Please.
  • AnnaPixie

I guess I feel like it's easier to "leave" if you aren't married, so that makes it much more satisfying to know that they are staying even though it's "easier" to leave.
    And if you need to take a vacation aka "have space" go, get the hell outta here....and when you're done with your funk. I'll be here. Just don't bring back any cooties. Please.

I love you Crystal!! :heart: :laugh:

I figure that it's more 'real' without the paper too. Nothing and nobody says you have to be there, you're there because you WANT to be :flowerforyou:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    although I'm 46 and have never been married, I don't say I'll never get married. However, I'm not going to settle for less than what I deserve just because I want to be married. I will marry when I know in my heart that it is right.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Marriage.. Such a heavy word! I'm divorced... Been there done that. Not sure if I want to get married again. Some days I want the wedding, the last name, the romantic and legal side of it but other days I'm like hell noooo. Never again.

Who knows. And I love my bf (live together now). But yikes! I like knowing that I'm here because I want to be and he's here because he wants to as well.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    which tells me that deep down inside few of us really, truly, hate the institution of marriage. Deep down inside I think we're all searching for someone who helps us feel awesome about ourselves and carries with them the promise of feeling that way forever.

This is how I feel about most "normal" institutions I should be partaking. I am single and not looking to mingle. I am not ready to pop out kids. I try to be careful and not declare my current "never having kids" intentions too harshly, because it can be taken as an insult to my friends that do have kids, so I put a disclaimer that "I might feel different if I meet the right one". I am not currently looking or have marriage or kids as part of my intentions/desires, but I'm not putting up the barriers either. I'm not going to stop fate :P
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    I really don't see myself as married. I actually haven't really ever dreamed of a wedding or getting married (does that mean that I'm not a girl?? :laugh: ).
    I'm not really motherly type and I really don't see the point of continuing my faulty genes :tongue: So no point to get married. I haven't been in long term relationship ever, and I highly doubt that I ever will. But who knows :smile:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Marriage is the best way to ruin a perfectly good relationship.
  • Marriage.. Such a heavy word! I'm divorced... Been there done that. Not sure if I want to get married again. Some days I want the wedding, the last name, the romantic and legal side of it but other days I'm like hell noooo. Never again.

Who knows. And I love my bf (live together now). But yikes! I like knowing that I'm here because I want to be and he's here because he wants to as well.

Right now this is where my bf and I both are. We are both divorced with kids. We live together and are more committed to each other than most married couples, but idk that we will ever get married. Not anytime in the near future anyway. We totally see a future together and love each other and our family, but marriage isn't going to make us anymore committed than we already are. We are together because we want to be together not because it's a pain in the *kitten* to bail if things go bad.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Been married, been divorced, been there, done that too...so I don't think i'll ever marry again.

I live in a province where after a year living together you are considered common-law partners and it gives you some protection in case of a separation. According to the 2011 Canadian census, about 38% of the population of my province live in common-law relationships.

Plus religion got kicked out partially in the 60s, so I can't say we are really religious too. Weddings are more a matter of a union between two people than religion these days.

So, nope, not getting married again.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    I don't know... even after the HE11 I've been through: 22 years - I won't go into all the details but he was an alcoholic & abusive (physically but mostly mentally & emotionally), I still hold out hope for a future marriage! at first I was like ohhhh HE11 NOOOOO.... but after over two years being away from that relationship, I do see myself down the road with someone and committing my life to a 'best friend'. I know it won't happen overnight. may not have even met him yet. but some day it might happen - and yet again, it might not. either way, I'm good. I won't prevent it, that's for sure. I'm open.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Ive always been against myself marrying in the era i'm in, but, I would marry the girl i am seeing in an instant lol (dont take it literally) but shes is my june carter to my johnny cash. . . . . 3 months ago I would have laughed, but its rare to meet someone with the same values and have a really good friendship.

but I would never ever consider it or think of it before, maybe I'm turning into such a girl lol
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Ive always been against myself marrying in the era i'm in, but, I would marry the girl i am seeing in an instant lol (dont take it literally) but shes is my june carter to my johnny cash. . . . . 3 months ago I would have laughed, but its rare to meet someone with the same values and have a really good friendship.

but I would never ever consider it or think of it before, maybe I'm turning into such a girl lol

I would get married again if I had this. It would have to be a perfect storm. I haven't come close to that yet.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Not me. I want to get married. :-)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    although I'm 46 and have never been married, I don't say I'll never get married. However, I'm not going to settle for less than what I deserve just because I want to be married. I will marry when I know in my heart that it is right.

Same here, although I will definitely never have a wedding or bachelorette or shower. I find them pretty distasteful for the most part. I also keep remembering that 'marriage' is traditionally a transfer of ownership of a woman from her father to her husband.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member

Same here, although I will definitely never have a wedding or bachelorette or shower. I find them pretty distasteful for the most part. I also keep remembering that 'marriage' is traditionally a transfer of ownership of a woman from her father to her husband.

You must be awesome if your father hasn't been willing to sell you yet.