Vegetarian and Vegans out there...

Okay so I use to be a full vegetarian for two and a half years. However I had to go off that diet and incorporate mainly only chicken to my diet because I suddenly became severely underweight. But I want to go back to being full vegetarian.

Only I do not want to make the mistake most do on consuming too much carbs and starches. I'm also a long distance runner as well and workout 7 days a week.

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    I've been vegan for 7 years....never underweight, always the other way. :)

Just make sure you're eating enough and you shouldn't have an issue.
  • I've been vegan for 7 years....never underweight, always the other way. :)

Just make sure you're eating enough and you shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks I will be sure to. I am going to be a better vegetarian than I was before. And quick question, should I up my fiber and protein to stay full longer? What foods help you?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    salads always help me, just tons of greens and then things that are heavy in protein.

beans!

I really enjoy fake meats....seitan is awesome....and I love me some carbs and bread. yum.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    I had the same problem! Strict vegetarian for 3 years, now I eat only chicken and then go meatless whenever I can. It's tough! Good luck
  • I had the same problem! Strict vegetarian for 3 years, now I eat only chicken and then go meatless whenever I can. It's tough! Good luck

I am the exact same way! Glad I'm not alone on this boat. :-)
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    I've officially been a vegetarian for 14 years and I find that I have to work to maintain a healthy weight. Calorie dense foods come in all forms. :wink:
  • stephenmakin1
    stephenmakin1 Posts: 17 Member
    I have been vegetarian forever, since childhood, and vegan since new year (though it's my 5th attempt at veganism but this time it seems to be ok). I'm going to be blunt here because I'm assuming I'm talking to someone with the same value-system as me when it comes to meat.

I would start off by watching a you tube video of chicken slaughter to motivate you. I know this sounds awful but it's good to remind yourself that it's about the animals not about you. If the only way you avoid murdering animals is to eat slightly more carb than you would otherwise it's not the end of the world! Vegans and vegetarians probably live slightly longer so it's unlikely to harm your health in the long term.

Now what is hard when you are vegetarian or vegan is the 'grilled chicken and salad meal' that is the staple of so many weight loss plans. Never mind - those plans are for meat eaters, and our diets are slightly different. Our macronutients tend to be mashed in together a bit more because we eat more plants.

My favourite high protein vegan foods are setian, tempeh and tofu, but these are fairly hard to come across at the average store. though I can get it all easily in a big city like Edinburgh http://www.vegetariantimes.com/video/how-to-make-seitan/. I also do rely a lot on various fake meat products, Linda McCartney's sausagues for instance some of them are vegan, all are obviously vegetarian. My wife who is new (pressured my me!) to vegetarianism hates them, but they are my comfort food from childhood.

Other options are - soya mince - use it to make 5 bean chilli which is low fat and high protein, you can also use it anywhere you would use mince, you can skip the rice if you would like. Low GI carbs may help you avoid the bloated feeling that you get with large amounts of high GI carb.
  • stephenmakin1
    stephenmakin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Because you are an athlete and work out a lot you may find this web page useful.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/

I have to admit I don't work out that much - though I usually either run 5k or swim 1 mile a day, is that a lot, but I'm still trying to loose weight rather than maintain. I don't doubt I'll have any trouble when I am maintaining though.

Hummus. I forgot hummus. Hummus is like air for some vegans. Not for me. Not allowed it on my current calorie restriction :-(
  • I have been vegetarian forever, since childhood, and vegan since new year (though it's my 5th attempt at veganism but this time it seems to be ok). I'm going to be blunt here because I'm assuming I'm talking to someone with the same value-system as me when it comes to meat.

I would start off by watching a you tube video of chicken slaughter to motivate you. I know this sounds awful but it's good to remind yourself that it's about the animals not about you. If the only way you avoid murdering animals is to eat slightly more carb than you would otherwise it's not the end of the world! Vegans and vegetarians probably live slightly longer so it's unlikely to harm your health in the long term.

Now what is hard when you are vegetarian or vegan is the 'grilled chicken and salad meal' that is the staple of so many weight loss plans. Never mind - those plans are for meat eaters, and our diets are slightly different. Our macronutients tend to be mashed in together a bit more because we eat more plants.

My favourite high protein vegan foods are setian, tempeh and tofu, but these are fairly hard to come across at the average store. though I can get it all easily in a big city like Edinburgh http://www.vegetariantimes.com/video/how-to-make-seitan/. I also do rely a lot on various fake meat products, Linda McCartney's sausagues for instance some of them are vegan, all are obviously vegetarian. My wife who is new (pressured my me!) to vegetarianism hates them, but they are my comfort food from childhood.

Other options are - soya mince - use it to make 5 bean chilli which is low fat and high protein, you can also use it anywhere you would use mince, you can skip the rice if you would like. Low GI carbs may help you avoid the bloated feeling that you get with large amounts of high GI carb.

I actually read an article on what they plan on doing to the chicken in China and then shipping it to us. Apparently they are possibly going to thrown in these weird ingredients and you will have no idea what they'll be. I won't let them do that and put that sort of thing in my body. Plus, I like animals. Why would they harm the animals like that?

Really if someone came after me with a gun or something to slaughter me, I would probably attack them too. If we quit messing with them, they won't mess with us. Simple right? I mean, sure their animals but they DO have feelings too.
  • Because you are an athlete and work out a lot you may find this web page useful.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/

I have to admit I don't work out that much - though I usually either run 5k or swim 1 mile a day, is that a lot, but I'm still trying to loose weight rather than maintain. I don't doubt I'll have any trouble when I am maintaining though.

Hummus. I forgot hummus. Hummus is like air for some vegans. Not for me. Not allowed it on my current calorie restriction :-(

I love that site! So choke full of great tips for the vegetarian and vegan athletes. ????
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Like a few of the posters have already mentioned in some shape or form - beans. Seriously I can't say enough good things about beans, they are super healthy. There are so many types of beans out there and tons of recipies once you look around.

Oatmeal is also good.

Eating some nuts and seeds (raw, no salt) is also good, give you some fat and lots of nutrients.
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Would like to become friends with vegetarians/vegans. While I am a meat eater, I recognize the fact that:

I don't get enough calories from veggies
    I don't get enough nutrition from veggies
    I get bored with the veggies taste the same way, time and time again.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend, feel free.

Annie
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    can't see how chicken helped unless you weren't eating enough protein. if that's the case, try eating low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese or eggs. while i like beans and quinoa, they're not that high in protein, and beans aren't a complete protein, while eggs and dairy and soy are complete proteins. and while nuts and seeds are yummy and good, my favorite calorie dense food is avocado.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Hi!

I'm a vegan ultra-marathoner (trail runner). I maintain a healthy weight by eating a whole foods plant based diet (no protein supplements or protein shakes or whatever), but I'm also interested in reading dr. mcdougalls book "The Starch Solution" to see what that's all about.

I followed the information from Dr. Furhman, The Engine 2 Diet, The China Study, Neal Barnard, Doug Lisle, Brendan Brazier, Happy Herbivore, and also Dr. McDougall (they all have books, websites, and facebook pages) to get started and found that I've not had troubles with maintaining my weight, health or energy, even while in my "busy" season running one or two ultra-marathons per month.

Good luck!
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    I've been vegan for 7 years. I go through sputs of being highly active but I was lucky to learn about fueling up right early on. I love Brendan Brazier's book Thrive. He's a vegan triathlete and his book is everything he learned on his way to being able to perform at his best. There are a bunch of recipes in it that I really like, especially the "pizza" and "burger" ones. Also, Tim VanOrden is a raw vegan distance runner and has some great stuff on his website and youtube channel.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Hi!

I'm a vegan ultra-marathoner (trail runner). I maintain a healthy weight by eating a whole foods plant based diet (no protein supplements or protein shakes or whatever), but I'm also interested in reading dr. mcdougalls book "The Starch Solution" to see what that's all about.

I followed the information from Dr. Furhman, The Engine 2 Diet, The China Study, Neal Barnard, Doug Lisle, Brendan Brazier, Happy Herbivore, and also Dr. McDougall (they all have books, websites, and facebook pages) to get started and found that I've not had troubles with maintaining my weight, health or energy, even while in my "busy" season running one or two ultra-marathons per month.

Good luck!

I agree with everything about this post. Thanks, you gave me a few new things to check out.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Oh yea beans. Beans are magic. Healthy carbs, protein, fiber. Just had me some refried jalapeño beans in a tortilla. :)
  • Hi! I would like to know how you guys started and how you "stuck" with it... I am very interested in becoming mostly vegetarian/ some vegan. Reasons: I feel like we were meant for this diet, very much against animal cruelty and it's environmentally sound... Would very much appreciate tips for beginners! Thanks!!!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Hi! I would like to know how you guys started and how you "stuck" with it... I am very interested in becoming mostly vegetarian/ some vegan. Reasons: I feel like we were meant for this diet, very much against animal cruelty and it's environmentally sound... Would very much appreciate tips for beginners! Thanks!!!

I listed some sources of info in my post above...maybe something there will help you. Good luck!
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    There is a group on MFP called "Happy Herbivores" where you might find recipes, advice, friends or all three!