How to do Curls in the Squat Rack

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

Where would you suggest he do his shrugs?

He should probably trade out some of his shrugs for squats.

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

Also, I'm sure you know all about this as a pro-lifter, but not all people have low placed calves. Many men struggle to build up their calves despite being able to squat plenty of weight. Supposedly Arnold himself had such issues, so when he finally did blow up his calves many suspected implants. Again, I assume you know that, though.

Also, he would probably do calf raises in the squat rack, as well, so that's probably not the best workout suggestion coach.

Why don't you go back to trolling that eating disorder thread?

Oh wait, you got it deleted because of all your butthurt.

So you're telling me to stay?

You're pretty funny, honestly. I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e. I said I would just let you curl/shrug til you're done and then take my turn.

Then you said i went to PF and I was like :sad: he's so mean

"I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e."

You don't handle being called out on your shenanigans very well, do you?

Maybe as a novice lifter you should worry less about what others are doing in the gym, be it shrugs, curls in the squat rack, or whatever else and worry more about your progress.

For the record I do neither, but the shrug is a valid workout. Yes, you could do it with dumbbells but I could make the same argument for a 140 lb squatter taking up a rack.

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

"Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back."

Again, new lifters should worry less about what others are doing. If you want to blow out your muscles and tendons, go ahead and do your 5x5 80% of your 1RM on curls. And generally, an Olympic bar with plates less than standard 45lb is not at a proper height to lift with proper form.

I do body weight, at home.

Except, of course, when I'm doing Australian pulls on the Smith machine at my work gym. :flowerforyou:

So then you're not using the squat rack - might as well curl in it.

Be my guest. I just thought the article was amusing.

Are we friends now?

Were we ever not?

However, since it's pretty generally accepted that it's bad etiquette to curl in the squat rack, it might be more productive to describe the reasons why that opinion is misguided than ridicule people who clearly said that they just wait until whomever has finished whatever they've decided to do with that equipment.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Again, new lifters should worry less about what others are doing. If you want to blow out your muscles and tendons, go ahead and do your 5x5 80% of your 1RM on curls. And generally, an Olympic bar with plates less than standard 45lb is not at a proper height to lift with proper form.

actually any lifter should worry less about what others are doing...just sayin' *cough like now cough*

That's the entire point of my rebuttal, but nice try.

"people should worry less about what others do" then tells me what to do/think/feel.

K, boss.

ETA: And to the "get off MFP and go lift more," if I could lift at work, I would.

I agree that everyone should not worry about what others do, but obviously everyone in this thread is doing just that in their own way. Either you're mad because people curl in the squat rack, or you're mad because people are mad that people curl in the squat rack.

Just "do you" as the kids say. :flowerforyou:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Rule #1 If the dude curling in the squat rack curls for reps more than your max squat. Walk away quietly,lol.
    Rule #2 If you curl more than he squats slap him in the back of the head and tell him to go do leg presses.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    I had two idiots walk up behind me while I was doing squats this morning, one sat on the decline bench behind me, the other leaning against the smith machine. I continued with my routine, did another set and added some plates, at this point my blood is boiling because there is a completely empty squat rack next to me and by the look of their delts or lack there of they weren't waiting to do standing overhead presses. So I turn around and ask them what they could possibly be waiting for, these two idiots replied with " Oh we need to do pull ups" I actually laughed at them, and said you know what, ill just use the squat rack so you two can safely do pull ups in the power rack. After setting everything up they are walking away and commented "that's all we needed to do, was one set". This is when I said "I here you, but to stand behind someone squatting heavy in the power rack to do ****ing pull ups when there are 50 things in the gym you can do pull ups on is ridiculous" they did not respond and walked away. Later while doing leg extensions, here come these two idiots again. They actually walked past 3 completely empty cable pulleys, to rudely interrupt a gentleman doing tricep pull downs with a straight bar, he just walked away and did it on one of the other cables. These idiots actually walked to another cable pulley to remove the triangle to use on the one they high jacked. Now here's the thing, usually when there are two people together, worst case scenario, one is a selfish ignorant waste of air, and the other would kind of guide them away from their stupid decisions to inconvenience others with their existence, but how in the hell did two ignorant, selfish, wastes of life find each other and decide they need to work out at 4 am? Needless to say, they will not interrupt me again, but this planet would be better off without them and that is not an exaggeration.

pull ups on the squat rack? are they super short? was it really inverted rows they wanted to do?
    Were we ever not?

However, since it's pretty generally accepted that it's bad etiquette to curl in the squat rack, it might be more productive to describe the reasons why that opinion is misguided than ridicule people who clearly said that they just wait until whomever has finished whatever they've decided to do with that equipment.

honestly, the only reason its bad etiquette is because you might be inconveniencing another gym patron.

if its an empty gym, or someone is doing them at home, no reason to fault them.

i suspect there are still those who are so ingrained in the notion that its simply wrong that they would turn thier nose up to someone doing it even with thier home gym... but i could be wrong
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

Waitaminute, what's wrong with these two suggestions?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    They do curls in the squat rack because of the heavy weight they're curling. They can set it down quietly so the PF lunk alarm doesn't go off. As appose to dropping them on the floor.

Oh yeah, whats the difference in doing curls or squats or shrugs in the squat rack. You still have to wait to use it.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Curling: A waste of your time.
    Curling in the squat rack: Wasting your time and everyone else's. A tragedy :(
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    I personally don't use the squat rack for curls, but I do shrugs there only because thats where all the 45's are. Plus I've never seen people grab a Olympic bar and do curls anywhere else because there is no room for that but the squat rack.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Curling: A waste of your time.
    Curling in the squat rack: Wasting your time and everyone else's. A tragedy :(

Thanks for telling me what is and isn't a good use of my time....
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    They do curls in the squat rack because of the heavy weight they're curling. They can set it down quietly so the PF lunk alarm doesn't go off. As appose to dropping them on the floor.

Oh yeah, whats the difference in doing curls or squats or shrugs in the squat rack. You still have to wait to use it.

You missed that answer, it's because it's a SQUAT RACK!
  • Z_I_L_L_A

You missed that answer, it's because it's a SQUAT RACK!

You still have to wait. Plus the lunk alarm would go off anywhere else. CT says curl everyday!
  • likitisplit

It just seems like a lot of reps unless you are going for endurance, and wouldn't the rowing machine be a better choice for that?

And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?

You know that I'm no expert in this. The article just seems to fly in the face of a lot of what I understand to be true about strength training.
  • likitisplit

THERE ARE NOT SQUAT RACKS AT PLANET FITNESS.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    They misspelled "how to piss off people who want to do squats."

^THIS!!!

hahahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member

It just seems like a lot of reps unless you are going for endurance, and wouldn't the rowing machine be a better choice for that?

And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?

You know that I'm no expert in this. The article just seems to fly in the face of a lot of what I understand to be true about strength training.

"And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?"

You can hurt your back bending over to pick up a 2.5 lb weight the wrong way. You should always be concerned.
  • Z_I_L_L_A

Lmao! I wouldn't know, but the lunk alarm video's crack me up. I don't stress over the squat rack deal. There was a 70 year in it the other day curling and I was just glad to see him in the gym. Globo gyms suck! Too much of a social club. But it is funny when someone cuts the treadmill on hi and then steps on it, only to be shot off the back.
  • likitisplit

"And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?"

You can hurt your back bending over to pick up a 2.5 lb weight the wrong way. You should always be concerned.

Then I should get a squat rack for my house and force my kids to sit on it.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    How to get punched 101
  • likitisplit

Lmao! I wouldn't know, but the lunk alarm video's crack me up. I don't stress over the squat rack deal. There was a 70 year in it the other day curling and I was just glad to see him in the gym. Globo gyms suck! Too much of a social club. But it is funny when someone cuts the treadmill on hi and then steps on it, only to be shot off the back.

One guy at my gym used to turn the treadmill on high, hang on to the bars at the front and run for dear life. You could feel the vibrations from his pounding feet all the way into the locker room.

Who knows what he was training for or why, but I dearly wanted to take a video of him.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    like this?

women-exercise-boobs-erotic-1134701.gif