Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Talk to your trainer or get a new one. I'm not a fan of weight machines-used them for years with NO results. Then started using free weights, kettlebells, pull up bars and body weight exercises and the results are completely different!! Some trainers at the gym get a little lazy and some are GREAT so you may have to shop around!!! Perhaps you can use a combination of them, but I agree with other posts- you work other muscles- especially stabilizing muscles- far better when you use free weights. Machines are great if you are a beginner, what to isolate muscles groups, you are "afraid" or "nervous" about free weights, have some physical limitations that you are trying to improve, etc- they have their place in the grand scheme of things and can be a great complement to your entire weight training routine. But let's face it Samson was a strong man and there was not a bicep curl machine to be found LOL!!! Seriously though, have a chat with you trainer about your goals and the rationale to their decision to put you on all machines, then talk to another one on the low-low and compare notes.
  • CynCyndi
    CynCyndi Posts: 58
    Bump
  • Bump
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Before
    Kimbefore.jpg
    P1020239_zpsd148cb63.jpg
    After 1 year of lifting and cutting.
    Kimback.jpg
    c66222fc-3f83-43a5-bcd9-468c0f557ec4_zpseece0183.jpg

Street clothes in case some might think we look "bulky" or muscular all the time. Pictures above are right after a workout and flexed. Most people are surprised that I lift heavy weights.

0207031819_zps241708b9.jpg

2 years lifting, 1 year maintaining.
    P1000151_zpsaaf4d583.jpg

AWESOME!!
  • Chrysalisobel
    Chrysalisobel Posts: 152 Member
    Before
    Kimbefore.jpg
    P1020239_zpsd148cb63.jpg
    After 1 year of lifting and cutting.
    Kimback.jpg
    c66222fc-3f83-43a5-bcd9-468c0f557ec4_zpseece0183.jpg

Street clothes in case some might think we look "bulky" or muscular all the time. Pictures above are right after a workout and flexed. Most people are surprised that I lift heavy weights.

0207031819_zps241708b9.jpg

2 years lifting, 1 year maintaining.
    P1000151_zpsaaf4d583.jpg

AWESOME!!

Impressive results! Love the flexin' picture.
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    You ladies are officially my new heroes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Motivation is always great. but keep in mind that in order to see the results you want to see, you will need to first lower your body fat percentage. Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle. Unless you're morbidly obese, I hear it's next to impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Building muscle is difficult for women because they have significantly less testosterone than men, but it can still be done. Best of luck to all the women weight trainers out there!

I want to get stronger too but I still have some more weight to lose. I'm close to my first goal (when I'll finally not be considered overweight for my height and build) but I want to get even lower so I have a low enough body fat percentage to actually see the muscles I'll be building. :)

Annnnd this is silly. Lifting as you lose weight will help you retain the muscle you have, help you become stronger, and improve your fitness. More than that you can certainly do it while lowering your bodyfat and seeing great results. I will demonstrate with a tasteful photo collage (I spend a lot of time playing on my phone...)

8QTdiAq.jpg?1

There is no reason not to lift as you lose weight.

I don't think that is what they are saying.

They're saying "Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle".

In other words, lift while you cut for strength and bone health (and to preserve muscle - they left that part out). Wait to build muscle, i.e. bulk until you get to low %BF. Which is the general recommendation so your gains are more LBM, less fat.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    look through my pictures. I've been training for 2.5 years.

Hello fellow North Carolinian, great progress!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Bump to save and read later
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Motivation is always great. but keep in mind that in order to see the results you want to see, you will need to first lower your body fat percentage. Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle. Unless you're morbidly obese, I hear it's next to impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Building muscle is difficult for women because they have significantly less testosterone than men, but it can still be done. Best of luck to all the women weight trainers out there!

I want to get stronger too but I still have some more weight to lose. I'm close to my first goal (when I'll finally not be considered overweight for my height and build) but I want to get even lower so I have a low enough body fat percentage to actually see the muscles I'll be building. :)

Annnnd this is silly. Lifting as you lose weight will help you retain the muscle you have, help you become stronger, and improve your fitness. More than that you can certainly do it while lowering your bodyfat and seeing great results. I will demonstrate with a tasteful photo collage (I spend a lot of time playing on my phone...)

8QTdiAq.jpg?1

There is no reason not to lift as you lose weight.

I don't think that is what they are saying.

They're saying "Lifting weights is fine and good to get stronger and it's supposed to be good for your bones, but most people suggest waiting until you reach your goal body fat percentage before trying to build muscle".

In other words, lift while you cut for strength and bone health (and to preserve muscle - they left that part out). Wait to build muscle, i.e. bulk until you get to low %BF. Which is the general recommendation so your gains are more LBM, less fat.

Actually, if you're a newbie you can definitely do both, and why wouldn't you want to.
  • Spicer1
    Spicer1 Posts: 50 Member
    I got on a program on Fitocracy doing reverse pyramid training, 3 days a week with a focus on lifting heavier and hitting personal records. I love a good goal and it's been very motivating to have weekly goals to aim for plus a PLAN when I go to the gym. Plans are great. Coupled with a diet that carb cycles, I've gotten very strong, lost 5 inches on my waist and 4 inches on my hips - I could not be happier!

Best part:? It's all been a non scale victory! I HAVEN'T LOST A SINGLE POUND.

Progress over 4 months:
    543fa3a0-f222-40a9-913c-4b52ff1ee104_zps2c835c02.png

You look fantastic! I can't believe you haven't lost even one pound!
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Bump
  • deezer602482
    deezer602482 Posts: 24 Member
    Bump ......everyone looks great!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    After just two and a half months of Stronglifts 5x5. Lost -3 kg, but 2 clothes sizes in a year.

7f53b29237b718df223a19b193038eb4.jpg
  • _SoundWave_
    _SoundWave_ Posts: 234 Member
    612edada-dc34-4185-850b-d0397d739590_zps5d1f7429.png

this is 136 lbs down with lifting weights and heavy weights at that! they don't bulk you but infact lean you up!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    BUMP! So inspiring!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    I got on a program on Fitocracy doing reverse pyramid training, 3 days a week with a focus on lifting heavier and hitting personal records. I love a good goal and it's been very motivating to have weekly goals to aim for plus a PLAN when I go to the gym. Plans are great. Coupled with a diet that carb cycles, I've gotten very strong, lost 5 inches on my waist and 4 inches on my hips - I could not be happier!

Best part:? It's all been a non scale victory! I HAVEN'T LOST A SINGLE POUND.

Progress over 4 months:
    543fa3a0-f222-40a9-913c-4b52ff1ee104_zps2c835c02.png

I love this so much. I struggle with the scale not moving even though I'm "heavy" by my heights standards. At 5'3" and 150lbs I always feel like no matter what I'm doing, I should lose SOMETHING because I'm heavy. But then I take into account that I can squat my husband and all seems better with the world :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

I've always been muscular, but before I would exercise to lose weight and the muscles would show up and look nice. Now that I work the muscles to get them stronger and lift heavy you can tell a huge difference. Personally, I love it.

The stomach has always been my biggest struggle, and it's still major work in process. This is the first picture I've posted of it lol

WOW!!!!! :drinker:

Great job!!! :flowerforyou: