I Survived Poker Night

pinktoque
pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
I wanted my post subject to be "I survived poker night and all I got was this FANTASTIC body and increased motivation" but that wouldn't fit ;)

I know this may seem silly, but last night was our August Poker night at our place and we had all of our friends over. Typically we have loads of potato chips and snacks available, some alcohol, and then we order pizza. Someone usually brings dessert stuff and extra snacks, too.

Well, last night I survived poker night happily without going over my calories!

I made sure our provided snacks included a HUGE fruit tray and an even bigger veggie tray, plus I whipped up a little something for myself ahead of time to eat instead of pizza. This wasn't a big deal as I don't normally eat pizza anyway due to the melted cheese and grease not getting along with my stomach. When the pizza arrived I just grabbed my waldorf salad out of the fridge and ate that instead. (recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23327-healthy-waldorf-salad)

We also made the "de-puged pigs in a blanket" recipe that Healthier_Me posted (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23112-de-pudged-pigs-in-a-blanket), we just made ours out of chicken dogs and whole wheat crescent rolls. I stuck to eating only one serving and they went over REALLY well with our friends as an appetizer. No one could even taste a difference! :) I posted some pics over in Healthier_Me's recipe thread of them.

I also had water readily available to myself and drank water instead of normally having a little alcohol with my poker. I managed to completely avoid ALL of the potato chips and the cupcakes one of our friends brought (AND the chocolate covered macadamia nuts another friend brought) and only snacked on the fresh fruit and veggies (no dips), which surprisingly satisfied me and kept me full enough that I didn't feel the need to go for the "bad" stuff. It also felt GOOD to avoid those things, especially at the end of the night when I realized I'd made it.

I'm really proud of myself because I know how and what I normally end up eating at Poker Night and last night I managed to stick to my goals AND still have a good time :) And it wasn't hard! I know that this is all because of MFP, and I can't thank you all enough for all of your support and motivation to keep at it! :heart:

Thank you!!

Replies

• pinktoque
    I wanted my post subject to be "I survived poker night and all I got was this FANTASTIC body and increased motivation" but that wouldn't fit ;)

I know this may seem silly, but last night was our August Poker night at our place and we had all of our friends over. Typically we have loads of potato chips and snacks available, some alcohol, and then we order pizza. Someone usually brings dessert stuff and extra snacks, too.

Well, last night I survived poker night happily without going over my calories!

I made sure our provided snacks included a HUGE fruit tray and an even bigger veggie tray, plus I whipped up a little something for myself ahead of time to eat instead of pizza. This wasn't a big deal as I don't normally eat pizza anyway due to the melted cheese and grease not getting along with my stomach. When the pizza arrived I just grabbed my waldorf salad out of the fridge and ate that instead. (recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23327-healthy-waldorf-salad)

We also made the "de-puged pigs in a blanket" recipe that Healthier_Me posted (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23112-de-pudged-pigs-in-a-blanket), we just made ours out of chicken dogs and whole wheat crescent rolls. I stuck to eating only one serving and they went over REALLY well with our friends as an appetizer. No one could even taste a difference! :) I posted some pics over in Healthier_Me's recipe thread of them.

I also had water readily available to myself and drank water instead of normally having a little alcohol with my poker. I managed to completely avoid ALL of the potato chips and the cupcakes one of our friends brought (AND the chocolate covered macadamia nuts another friend brought) and only snacked on the fresh fruit and veggies (no dips), which surprisingly satisfied me and kept me full enough that I didn't feel the need to go for the "bad" stuff. It also felt GOOD to avoid those things, especially at the end of the night when I realized I'd made it.

I'm really proud of myself because I know how and what I normally end up eating at Poker Night and last night I managed to stick to my goals AND still have a good time :) And it wasn't hard! I know that this is all because of MFP, and I can't thank you all enough for all of your support and motivation to keep at it! :heart:

Thank you!!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Well done! :happy:
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    That is IMPRESSIVE!! Can I borrow some of your willpower?!
  • pinktoque
    That is IMPRESSIVE!! Can I borrow some of your willpower?!

haha sure!! I'm not sure where the willpower came from. I've tried so many times in the past to "be good" but especially at poker nights, I have no willpower. The only difference this time is that I'm now a part of the fab MFP family, and so I am positive that is the reason I was able to do it!

:heart:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    :flowerforyou: That definatley deserves a Congradulations!:flowerforyou:

(Girl, you have loads more willpower than me...I would have had at least 1 cupcake :grumble: )
  • pinktoque
    :flowerforyou: That definatley deserves a Congradulations!:flowerforyou:

(Girl, you have loads more willpower than me...I would have had at least 1 cupcake :grumble: )

thank you!

ya, it's been hard -- they left 3 cupcakes here and they've been sitting on the counter, eyeing me when I come into the kitchen. I've avoided their glare and eye contact! My husband ate some and then I threw what was left out. He was sure to tell me the entire time he was eating one how grrroooooossss it was, for my benefit ;) hehe, he's so sweet

"ew, this cupcake is really gross. it's a good thing you're not eating them." I know he's lying, but it's cute because he's trying ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!