Anyone quit smoking and lost weight?

2»

Replies

• The Husband and I have set a quit day for Aug 10th. I quit in Dec.2013 for 26 days. Was very hard when the better half is still smoking. My Aunt sent me a list of herbs that help with the cravings. One of them on the list was ginger. I tried it yesterday when I was out at the park with the kids. I had a craving and remembered I'd bought some crystalized ginger earlier that morning at the farmers mrkt. Went out to the car an broke off a piece and guess what it WORKED! I was shocked. We ended up being at the park for about 4 hrs and after the ginger fix I didn't even smoke until after dinner. Didn't even think about it. We are going to do the patch as well. Anyway here is the list, Congrats on the New Healthy Lifestyle your embarking on.
    http://worldtruth.tv/natural-remedies-to-help-you-quit-smoking/
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    I quit smoking and started vaping while I was losing weight but I was never addicted to nicotine (I vape with 0 mg of nicotine e-juice) so it may have been easier for me than for a lot of other people. I was addicted to the hand-to-mouth thing.

I tried the e-cigs but I consider e-cigs to be false advertising. The manufacturers of e-cigs advertise that one e-cig is equivalent to 1-1/2 packs of cigarettes which is BS. They're closer to about 5 cigarettes and they start getting weaker and weaker after the first 15-20 puffs. So that's why I vape.

I commend anyone who can quit cold turkey without a step-down method (patch/gum) while losing weight at the same time. I don't think I could've have done it. On the other hand, I also can't do nicotine patches/gum since nicotine gives me the jitters. So I guess how you quit smoking depends on whether you're a nicotine person, a hand-to-mouth person, or a nicotine and a hand-to-mouth person (which most smokers are).
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    I quit smoking and lost weight. First week was hell, I exercised a lot to keep myself busy and to curb food cravings. Then it gets easier and easier. Even if I had gained 20lbs I would never regret my decision. Congrats!

ETA: I remember you, I'm so glad to see you're back!
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    I quit smoking on 12/31/2013 and changed that habit for working out :-)
    I only miss it when I'm really stressed about something
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Yes, but not at the same time. I quit smoking and gained weight. I lost that weight later.
  • marywoo55
    marywoo55 Posts: 6 Member
    I quit smoking on the 18 Jan 2013 when i was 58 I had smoked for 44 years. I got up and thought i dont want to do this anymore so went to Tesco and bought some mini lozenges they worked for me. I was overweight at the time so in April 2013 I joined the gym at the time i weighed 12st 6lbs i slogged on my own and lost a stone then in august 2013 i got a personal trainer who inspired me as of last week I now weight 9st 5lbs and still working on my fitness levels, I have not smoked a cigarette but i found that by getting fit it made me more determined not to go back. So find something that will help you through withdrawal and try to keep busy and good luck you can do it !!
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    QUIT SMOKING NOW!! Worry about your weight after.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years, and quit (after many attempts) at age 40. Even when I gained 25lbs I said it was the best thing I'd ever done.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    I quit smoking on the 18 Jan 2013 when i was 58 I had smoked for 44 years. I got up and thought i dont want to do this anymore so went to Tesco and bought some mini lozenges they worked for me. I was overweight at the time so in April 2013 I joined the gym at the time i weighed 12st 6lbs i slogged on my own and lost a stone then in august 2013 i got a personal trainer who inspired me as of last week I now weight 9st 5lbs and still working on my fitness levels, I have not smoked a cigarette but i found that by getting fit it made me more determined not to go back. So find something that will help you through withdrawal and try to keep busy and good luck you can do it !!

Awesome!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Quit in March.

Have lost 45ish more pounds since then.
  • chasgrey
    chasgrey Posts: 7 Member
    It won't be easy. You already know that though. On 31 July I reached my 5 year mark of not smoking. I quit when I was 46 after 33 years of smoking. When I quit I was over two packs a day. It was hard. Very hard. But I never faltered. Six months before that I went to see my doctor and told her I wanted to lose weight and quit smoking. She told me to pick one. That if I tried to do both at once, I would fail at both. I picked losing weight and lost 20 pounds in six months and then quit smoking. The pounds came back on and now I am trying to lose those pounds. The doctor actually told me that it was healthier for me to be overweight than to smoke. So pick one. Quit that that habit, whether it be smoking our over eating, One you have that beat, then tackle the next obstacle.

Some people can do both, and have. I wasn't one of them. Either choice you make, if you try to quit on all fronts, or one then the other, make it be the right choice for you.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    I quit smoking in January of last year and have since lost about 25 lbs. Quitting smoking made working out easier.
  • scott_farmer
    scott_farmer Posts: 3 Member
    I quit in may of 2013. I've gained weight which I'm trying to lose now. I'm down 20 lbs as of today.

I found that when I quit, constantly drinking ice water and eating sugar free hard candy really helped with the cravings. I would also get up and walk around when I felt a trigger to go smoke. Distraction is the key.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    I haven't quit smoking yet, because to me right now the weight loss is the most important thing to help me a be a healthier me.

Yeah smoking is terrible, I'm not going to get into that. I am working to change my eating choices and lifestyle (cardio & weight lifting has never really been in my vocabulary before I started MFP, because I'm a lazy guy who would rather sit around and play a video game.)

What I will say is since picking up additional cardio workouts throughout the week - I have noticed that I smoke less often. I don't want to be bogged down by the after effects, I'd rather enjoy the way I feel after working out. Sure it's exhausting, but it's worth it. Also, I need to breathe. Making your lungs work and then smoking does not help with easy breathing, it can become more of a task.

I have noticed weight coming off at a good pace, and once I hit my goal, I fully plan to make my new goal "Maintaining Weight" and quitting smoking at the same time.

I will most likely fluctuate my weight a bit and may have to increase workouts, but I will tackle that when I get there.
    I quit smoking in January of last year and have since lost about 25 lbs. Quitting smoking made working out easier.

^ This is why I think I have started smoking less. It's really hard on the body to do a physical workout and then smoke, or smoke first and then push your body...
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member

This. This is why I quit, I'd lost the first 17-18lbs without exercise because I was obese, but I felt the need to work out to be healthy and not just lighter - which led to me realizing just how terrible my lungs really were. I quit early March, 2014. It's now August, and I've lost a heap more weight since then. Didn't gain an ounce.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    I quit 6 years ago, and I promise you, it does get easier! It takes time and patience though. Find something to keep busy when the urge strikes, like puzzles, knitting, jewelry making – whatever interests you and can keep you busy enough to get through the moment. When I quit, I seemed to go through moments where the urge was irresistible, but after it passed, suddenly it wasn't as big of a deal. I found activities that kept both my hands and mind busy worked best for me. So find your way to get through the moments, and if you fall off the wagon, immediately start again.

I quit for a whole year, started back for a year, then quit again for good. This was after many half hearted attempts over a 15+ year period. If you had asked me even a couple of years ago if I thought the craving would ever completely abate, I would have said no. But somehow when I wasn't paying attention, it left me. I no longer want to smoke – period. And it's an AMAZING feeling to be free of it.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    P.S. I quit smoking first and then lost weight, but I think it can be done together. It's really the same principle, replacing bad habits with more productive ones. I have by no means mastered this, and I fall back into bad habits quite often. But I try not to beat myself up over it. I just get up, dust myself off, and try again. We're all a work in progress. :-)
  • Wow! Thank you everyone! I am planning to quit cold turkey but as it failed the day I made this thread I have been trying to cut down. After reading all your replies I have decided I will try both, my plan is to replace smoking with knitting and exersize. Even if I fall off the diet wagon once I go cold turkey, I will still log. Thanks again everyone!
  • chasgrey
    chasgrey Posts: 7 Member
    Wow! Thank you everyone! I am planning to quit cold turkey but as it failed the day I made this thread I have been trying to cut down. After reading all your replies I have decided I will try both, my plan is to replace smoking with knitting and exersize. Even if I fall off the diet wagon once I go cold turkey, I will still log. Thanks again everyone!

I bought a jump rope when I quit smoking. I found out, you can't jump rope while smoking, so whenever I had a craving I would jump rope. A jump rope is small and easily portable. You can do it anywhere, and it takes your mind off of smoking. Especially when you're as uncoordinated as I am, you have to really concentrate so you don't trip yourself. :smile:
  • kpayne912
    kpayne912 Posts: 10 Member
    I quit about 6 weeks ago cold turkey and have not looked back. Mind you I have tried to quit before with medication etc.. I think the reason it is working for me this time is that I truly WANTED TO QUIT. I have had some days where I have wanted to just eat a pack of cigs but I have held strong and it really does get easier and god knows I feel so much better and my allergies are wayyy better now too. As far as the weight thing I have actually lost 5 lbs so far but I have made sure to amp up my workouts and really keep an eye on my food and drink intake hence me joining MFP.
    For me the chugging water has really worked some times when I know I am about to eat out of boredom and or stress.
    Best advise is to find what works best for you (trial and error) and I am a big believer in you really have to want it deep down for cold turkey to work. Best of luck to you!!!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    I quit in the middle of March using the e-cig. I've been lowering the dose of nic on the ecig. I started working out and dieting at the same time and I've lost 20 lbs.