From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    When you did this did you follow it religiously or were there days where you strayed? For instance if someone wanted to take you out for breakfast or you went on vacation etc

I never cheated. I was THAT sick of being huge!

When people took me out, I made them accept I wasn't going to eat, and instead, just had a diet Coke or something and we chatted. It was nice. Doesn't detract from the social experience.

Good for you putting your foot down, and making sure people understand you had a plan and goal in place and you weren't going to deviate.

A lot of people don't understand that...and then get mad at you and how you eat or what you eat.

Also, your BP numbers jump out at me...
    I had similar results with mine (although I think my BP had to do with other things aside from diet)
    But before I started my IF program, I was at 133/72. Doctor was wanting to put me on pills for it.....and I told him I was eating right, exercising, don't smoke and don't drink...don't do drugs. He just said well good thing you don't or you would already be on pills....

After starting IF back in Aug of 2013, by December, my BP dropped to ~118/73

Then a few months ago, my BP was at 104/72
  • What you have achieved is truly amazing - you look awesome.

For anyone who tells you that eating one meal a day is unhealthy - just direct them to a book called 'The Fast Diet' by an English Doctor called Michael Moseley; I guess you should be able to get hold of one via Amazon or similar.

It is precisely the concept of 'three square meals a day', cheap and readily available fast food (to save time for a busy lifestyle), drinks full of sugar on every supermarket aisle, and the introduction of 'acceptable' between meal snacks that has generated this epidemic of obesity.

Well done you for sticking to your guns! :bigsmile:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Still love your story. Told so many people about your "one meal a day" approach. Ongoing success to you! :drinker:
  • It works for you... CONGRATS on your weightloss success! FYI-- I remember watching a segment of DR. OZ where "Judge Judy" said she does the one meal a day thing too. And she looks great in her bikini at whatever age she is!!!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Congrats to you for finding something that works. I just started intermittent fasting 2 days a week, but that's about it.

When did you exercise? Before or after your one meal? (sorry if you answered this question already)
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Alright, here is the day two update. Lol! Stomach gurgles all day and I'm burping a lot. Is this from empty stomach? Very gassy in stomach. Does this go away? I feel pretty good during the day but have to fight hunger about once per hour for about 15 minutes starting around 9 AM. My biggest question is about 10 minutes after I eat my one meal around 6:30 PM I feel dizzy dizzy dizzy for a good hour. I thought I would feel this fasting not eating. Any helpful advise? Did you get this when eating? It weird.

How is yours going so far?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I weigh about 300 pounds and want to weigh less than my husband (he weighs 180) hoping to wear a bikini by next summer! And your story made me feel like it's completely achievable
    A healthier, more reasonable goal would be 1-2 lb per week, or 52-104 lb per year.
    Here's a post I did about goal-setting: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045
    Here's a BMI chart, to see if 180 is a realistic & healthy goal weight for you: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    I can now control myself, but as a binge-eater and psychological follower of cravings, I was one of those people who lost all control. OMAD was what helped destroy those adulterated eating patterns and restored balance.
    No, there's no balance. You're still a binge eater, you still have what you call "adulterated eating patterns", only you do it once a day.
    It seems to have worked for you, and if that helps you control your cravings & binge eating more power to you.
    Your last picture looks like a relatively average person, completely different from the unhappy guy in the other pictures.

You don't know what binge eating is about if all you think it means is eating a large volume of food in a short period of time.

But good try.
  • Digby55
    Digby55 Posts: 10 Member
    The main difference is the WD allows for some fruit & veg snacks during the day, so not as clean IF as what OP is doing. I think thr WD is really great for younger, less obese people.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Wow, you look amazing!! I'm not one to criticize the diet methods of anyone here. Obviously this worked for you and probably bought you a lot of years you would've lost at 350+ lbs! Congrats!!
  • I am particularly drawn to this method of fasting, and I'm not a binge eater. In fact, I'm just about the opposite at times. My body rarely gets hungry, despite the fact that I have a positive relationship with food: no past history with EDs, no extreme yo-yo dieting, etc. I'm up 15 pounds from where I was two years ago because after dieting for a while it became too much of a hassle. I was sick of having food constantly on my mind, worrying about fitting in enough calories on particular days, wasting hours of my precious time eating and planning meals when I could be improving other aspects of my life.

I decided to give OMAD a try this past Sunday, and already I've lost 3 pounds. I like this style of eating because while I LOVE food, I hate having to make eating a chore by sticking to a schedule (6 meals a day, every 2 hours, or else!!!). My body did not get hungry regularly over the course of 24 hours because in the past I'd been constantly eating, snacking, trying to "keep my metabolism going," as they say, when in truth all I really did was cause myself to forget the value of food for what it truly is.

I've done a lot of research on IF and metabolism in preparation for this, and would suggest that future readers do the same.

My distain towards eating when I'm not even hungry coupled with an interest in IF led to my decision to give OMAD a try. OP, huge congratulations on your success! I'm so inspired by your determination to do what is right for your health. I hope you will give me a few minutes of your time by answering some of my questions:

1. You mentioned slowly building up your daily calorie intake as you settled into OMAD, but I'm curious to know: did you take your BMR/TDEE estimations into consideration while working up to your maintenance weight? Did you make any effort to net at least your BMR during that one daily meal?

2. On the topic of raw fruits and vegetables, I've found over the past week that OMAD doesn't really leave room for such things when one has their meal in the evenings like I do. I love my raw fruits--apples, bananas, cherries, berries, etc.--but I've read that it's bad for the digestion to mix fruits with grains/carbs during meals. I feel like there's no room left for fruit by the time I've eaten my feast of a dinner! What do you suggest I do, then, in order to get my fruit fix without compromising the fast?

3. I'm also curious to know what kind of exercises you did during your transition. You said you didn't do a lot of exercise at all when starting off, but did that ever change?

In terms of side effects, I do not experience many hunger "pangs," though my stomach does growl a little as the day goes by. I like the feeling, though, of knowing that my stomach is empty and I'm in control of how I fuel my body. I try to exercise (40 mins. on the elliptical) a couple hours after I've had my meal in order to have some energy, but some nights I just can't do what I'm usually capable of. My body gets tired quickly depending on what my one meal consists of.

Other than that, I've experienced a few throbbing headaches since Sunday, but I've been keeping hydrated and expect these symptoms will subside, too.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know this way of eating better in order to improve myself! Thank you so much for contributing your valuable information.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Congratulations. It is a huge victory. You did it the way that would work for you. I do hope you learn to eat in moderation and continue on your way to good health!!! :flowerforyou:
  • christianhorsegal
    christianhorsegal Posts: 4 Member
    Well let's just say two weeks in the Keys on vacation with friends and family was not in the best interest of the plan, but I'm starting over tomorrow and will keep you updated. Anyone else have better results this past two weeks?
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Congratulations. It is a huge victory. You did it the way that would work for you. I do hope you learn to eat in moderation and continue on your way to good health!!! :flowerforyou:

I have often wondered why so many people assume that OMAD meals are gluttonous overkills for their users, and not rather a controlled and responsible endeavor? :ohwell: Not every meal is a big, heaping, huge meal. Many are rather small, in fact, and eating OMAD doesn't have to be an everyday thing (it isn't for me anymore).

Sizes of portions will vary and be on the larger sizes in general for OMADers, but take 3 meals of most people, total them up, and you'll see how much the average 3-mealer is actually eating--and they don't know it. If it's calories one needs, then multiple meals work way better. Getting your "fix" every few hours with sustained multiple meals is what taxes a body more than a sizable single meal per day and what causes weight gain.
  • Digby55
    My omad is never more than it was before. I wasn't able to huge amounts of food even before, and when you focus on healthier options you just fill up faster. The sugar-starch junk calories are condensed, so you can consume many more calories than eating chicken and broccoli, and such.

I was appalled to learn McDonald's et al, in effect predigest (the spuds are milled then formed into fries) the potatoes that go into making french fries so that they give a hit to the blood sugar faster that in the whole potato state. That's why you can eat so many.

I suppose a person could be gluttonous, but it would be hard using only one plate of food. I do know that I feel pleasantly full, but never uncomfortably stuffed. And the food tastes so much better for the wait.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I am going to start OMAD this Sunday.

I cook with a Crock Pot, and I work two jobs 4 days a week. I can't go to sleep on an empty stomach, so my one meal a day will be around 11:00 PM. I also have to stop using sugar in my coffee in the mornings and in my tea. That won't be easy.

Calorie counting isn't working for me and I find it tedious. I think this plan will work better for me, since I work so much and am so busy, it will be nice not to have to worry about eating until right before bed, and then I can just grab a helping of the last Crock Pot meal I cooked.

I haven't been weighing myself, I don't have a scale, and I'm wondering if maybe I should get one... one of the old fashioned ones, not the digital kind.
  • Digby55
    I would recommend the digital. They are much more accurate. If you get the old style (I still have one around) get something with a true weight, like a barbell, or several cans of veggies, and check the weight. Most older models do have an adjustment feature if the weight is off.
    I like the the scale feedback; so long as one remembers there is anywhere up to five pounds of water weight gain/change any given day. For instance, if I eat regular ham, I'm up 3-4 pound next day with water retention. I only record my weight on Sundays.

Good luck!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I decided to start today instead of Sunday. Why wait?

I also gave up gum. In an effort to stop smoking I was chewing both Nicorette and regular gum all day long.. even though every piece has only 5 calories, I'm sure the sugar and or carbs were adding up because I was chewing it constantly.

All I can say is, thank God we have a water cooler in the office because I'm sipping that like crazy, not having gum to chew and fighting the hunger pains that are starting, though I'm trying to see those as a GOOD thing.
  • Jasonrosey
    Jasonrosey Posts: 4 Member
    Great job and interesting approach. You must have great self control. Keep up the good work.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    FREAKIN OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    I think the biggest key to successful weight loss is finding what works for you - something you can stick to, that keeps you healthy. This is a perfect example of that. You've obviously found what works for you. It's not something I would have done. I do save the majority of my calories for dinner, but I find I get quite lightheaded if I don't have at least *something* during the day as well. But that's what works for *me*.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I bet you feel amazing :D

So much this! Congratulations on your success. You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!