What to wear to the gym?

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    My work-out attire is the same at home and at the gym. Capri or bicycle length shorts and a t-thirt with a good supportive sports bra beneath it. It is all about comfort and minimizing the jiggle. I spend as little on work-out attire as possible and fashion doesn't enter into the picture.

Wear what you are comfortable with.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    OK, so after saying I can't get to the gym an offer for a free 1 month trial membership arrived at my door. I'm tempted to try it out but I don't know what is appropriate to wear. When I work out at home I just wear a pair of running shorts and sports bra UNDER a T shirt.

I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons and the T-shirt might look a bit old fashioned. I don't want to show a lot of skin, no belly for sure. So anyone got any ideas?

I wear exactly this every time I go to the gym. What is old fashioned about a t-shirt? Not sure why you had to specify a bra UNDER a t-shirt either...is wearing one over a t-shirt common? Never seen it. I always figure that as long as all the bits are covered, and my movement isn't hindered (oh, and nothing is loose enough I'm going to get it caught in something), I'm good to go. We're talking gym clothes!
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    A: wear something that doesn't stink
    B: wear something that covers your "junk"
    C: that is all I have

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'll wear what I want, and the ladies love it.

"Excuse me sir, I can see your testicles...and you stink."

I guffawed at this - my husband asked 'what are you reading?' so I told him and he laughed too. :laugh:

To the OP, wear whatever is comfy - I started out in long jogging bottoms and polo shirts, now I wear running capri-pants and men's running T-shirts (they're just comfier to me - shorter sleeved women's tops chafe my under arms)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    My gym does not allow tank tops and sports bras are not supposed to be visible. It seems like most sports bra straps are set fairly narrowly, though, (racerbacks) so I break that rule all the time because my tops are mostly v-necks or scoopnecks as I hate crew neck shirts.

Anyway, I wear black capri leggings or shorts and t-shirts. I like tops that are a bit roomy but if I'm going to be using an exercise ball or push ups or planks where my shirt is likely to hang down, I'll wear my regular size.

Do you go to the catholic gym?

My guess is Planet Fitness... but I could be wrong.

No, it's actually a university rec center. And not a conservative university either. They have a sign showing what types of tops are acceptable and everything. Weird, right? I used to go there 10 years ago and they allowed tank tops back then so who knows why not now.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    My gym does not allow tank tops and sports bras are not supposed to be visible. It seems like most sports bra straps are set fairly narrowly, though, (racerbacks) so I break that rule all the time because my tops are mostly v-necks or scoopnecks as I hate crew neck shirts.

Anyway, I wear black capri leggings or shorts and t-shirts. I like tops that are a bit roomy but if I'm going to be using an exercise ball or push ups or planks where my shirt is likely to hang down, I'll wear my regular size.

No, it's actually a university rec center. And not a conservative university either. They have a sign showing what types of tops are acceptable and everything. Weird, right? I used to go there 10 years ago and they allowed tank tops back then so who knows why not now.

Ooh maybe a scandal. That is weird though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member

yeah that's a story i'd like to hear. why are 2014 tanks allowed but 2004 ones were?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

yeah that's a story i'd like to hear. why are 2014 tanks allowed but 2004 ones were?

Seems overly restrictive to the women patrons as tanks are an extremely common choice for gym wear
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

<snip>

Seems overly restrictive to the women patrons as tanks are an extremely common choice for gym wear

My husband and I were talking about it more last night. Now I am curious enough that I might ask them what the deal is the next time I go. I remembered that they have a graphic posted about it on their website: http://www2.kent.edu/recservices/memberships/images/t-shirt-policy_1.jpg
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    How "old fashioned" :laugh:

I'd fit right in, must be a reason though......
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm just want to feel comfortable and not stick out....... Last time I was in a gym was before my kids were born, over 14 yrs ago.
    I forgot to respond to this before, but I belonged to a gym 14 years ago and I belong to one now and "fashion" for working out hasn't really changed. Whatever you wore then, you could wear now and no one would bat an eye.
  • jacquesdiet
    jacquesdiet Posts: 12 Member
    When I go to the gym I wear stretchy capris and a t shirt.....but, for now I'm a lap swimmer so I wear a bathing suit
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    I'm never going to find out, am I? On my death bed, my last words are going to be, "Why shouldn't you wear running shorts to the gym?"

My family will be so disappointed.
    LOL you're killing me :bigsmile:
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    OK, so after saying I can't get to the gym an offer for a free 1 month trial membership arrived at my door. I'm tempted to try it out but I don't know what is appropriate to wear. When I work out at home I just wear a pair of running shorts and sports bra UNDER a T shirt.

I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons and the T-shirt might look a bit old fashioned. I don't want to show a lot of skin, no belly for sure. So anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like you're over thinking it. I usually wear either a pair of capri pants or running shorts with a shirt/t-shirt whatever that covers my upper half haha
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    I wear cotton sweat pants and a tee shirt that's not too tight on the neck or arms. Don't need to over complicate it :)
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Wear what you feel comfortable in. I feel comfortable wearing less. People (for the most part) won't care if what you are wearing is old fashioned or not.
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    JessicaJVRadcliffe Posts: 201 Member
    I am one of the women at the gym who matches. Running skirts, shorts, or Capris with brightly colored tops and headbands. In fall and winter, I have long sleeve dry wick warm up shirts. I buy most of my workout gear at Marshalls or TJ Maxx where you can find $60 running skirts for $15. However, sometimes my husband will treat me to an outfit from Lululemon. I choose to look nice when I workout because I often have to be seen in public afterwards, running kids around, errands, etc... Some days, I can't shower/change til I go to bed at night, so I'd rather be wearing something I look nice in and feel better about myself than crappy. My advice is for success, buy something you feel good wearing, you may find it motivating.
  • smarieallen85
    I am one of the women at the gym who matches. Running skirts, shorts, or Capris with brightly colored tops and headbands. In fall and winter, I have long sleeve dry wick warm up shirts. I buy most of my workout gear at Marshalls or TJ Maxx where you can find $60 running skirts for $15. However, sometimes my husband will treat me to an outfit from Lululemon. I choose to look nice when I workout because I often have to be seen in public afterwards, running kids around, errands, etc... Some days, I can't shower/change til I go to bed at night, so I'd rather be wearing something I look nice in and feel better about myself than crappy. My advice is for success, buy something you feel good wearing, you may find it motivating.

Get it girl! Why not? I like when my pants are the perfect fit. I do all kinds of tests in the dressing room to make sure you can't see through them when I squat or they don't fall when I'm doing jumping jacks. Just kidding I never do jumping jacks.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

<snip>

My husband and I were talking about it more last night. Now I am curious enough that I might ask them what the deal is the next time I go. I remembered that they have a graphic posted about it on their website: http://www2.kent.edu/recservices/memberships/images/t-shirt-policy_1.jpg

Super modest! Let me know if you find out. The policy does appear to apply to all genders
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member

<snip>

Super modest! Let me know if you find out. The policy does appear to apply to all genders

maybe it has to do with people leaving sweat behind? because you cant wear mesh either

but i do like how they specify "no shoulder revealing" . id be tempted to cut out a portion of the short where my boobs are and see if i got in trouble. in mean technically it would be following the rules and i can have a good seamstress i know make me something where the boobless shirt technically wouldnt be altered, but my shoulders wouldnt be showing, just the front of my bra
  • smarieallen85

<snip>

maybe it has to do with people leaving sweat behind? because you cant wear mesh either

but i do like how they specify "no shoulder revealing" . id be tempted to cut out a portion of the short where my boobs are and see if i got in trouble. in mean technically it would be following the rules and i can have a good seamstress i know make me something where the boobless shirt technically wouldnt be altered, but my shoulders wouldnt be showing, just the front of my bra

I laughed out loud! Please do this!

Sweat could have something to do with it! People getting their tinea all over the place. Ew