Thoughts on Dr. Hyman's detox diet

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Dr. Hyman is Jewish, so his name means something akin to life in Hebrew. The diet actually sounds pretty yummy for a short-term plan.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Wow people, I was just asking.

If you actually look at the diet, it's basically vegetables, fruit, meat, etc. Perhaps his marketing team chose a bad title. My doctor recommended this because I am diabetic, and eating according to this plan can really help blood sugar get back on track. And I'm getting the book from the public library.

Really folks, I'm just blown away with the extreme sarcasm and bullying in these comments. It was a simple question and without any information you all jumped to the conclusion that my doctor is a quack. She's far from it - rather than rely totally on medications, she believes diet and exercise are part of controlling diabetes and she walks the walk. She's open minded.

I suggest you all take a deep breath before posting in threads.

Again, wow.
  • rjanke
    rjanke Posts: 3 Member
    The last thing you want to do is take health advice from people on these forums. This is one of the worst online communities I've ever seen. I've read several threads recently, and everyone looking for advice is bombarded with sarcasm.

I'd trust your doctor over these people. They tend to over-react to several key-words; detox, toxins, sugar, and many others.

His program is a good starting point to make some positive changes in your life.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

If you actually look at the diet, it's basically vegetables, fruit, meat, etc. Perhaps his marketing team chose a bad title. My doctor recommended this because I am diabetic, and eating according to this plan can really help blood sugar get back on track. And I'm getting the book from the public library.

Really folks, I'm just blown away with the extreme sarcasm and bullying in these comments. It was a simple question and without any information you all jumped to the conclusion that my doctor is a quack. She's far from it - rather than rely totally on medications, she believes diet and exercise are part of controlling diabetes and she walks the walk. She's open minded.

Again, wow.
    Named diets are typically fads. It would have been nice if you included a brief description of the eating plan, which does sound reasonable. It might also have helped if you mentioned that you were diabetic and your doctor felt that lower carb could help with the treatment of your disease.

Overall, it does sound like a healthy diet. It also sounds somewhat repetitive, but you could expand that by limiting simple carbs, focusing on lean proteins and vegetables, and eating within your calorie goal. Not sure about the breakfast shake, mostly because it seems to have a ton of ingredients, and some of them may be high calorie (not sure what the total calories are; it may be reasonable for your goal). Too much trouble for me, but you could find something similar that fits the general guidelines and would keep you inline with the intent of the diet.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Sounds depressing.

Just eat clean and make your own food from natural ingredients, and you won't need any detox.

Can you elaborate on how eating "clean" helps you avoid detoxes and how eating "dirty" will make you need to use detoxes?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Again, wow.

Can you show us where you have been bullied?
  • PRMinx
    The last thing you want to do is take health advice from people on these forums. This is one of the worst online communities I've ever seen. I've read several threads recently, and everyone looking for advice is bombarded with sarcasm.

I'd trust your doctor over these people. They tend to over-react to several key-words; detox, toxins, sugar, and many others.

His program is a good starting point to make some positive changes in your life.

Strong first post.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    A better option would be to seek out a dietitian who specializes in diabetic meal planning. Your doctor should be able to give you a referral, and your insurance should cover it.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Hyman' a quack: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/?s=hyman

Dr. Mark Hyman: Let’s turn back the clock on science-based medicine in favor of anecdote-based medicine
    "True, I don’t owe him quite as much as I owe, for example, Mike Adams of NaturalNews.com, anyone on the blogging crew of the anti-vaccine crank propaganda blog Age of Autism, Dr. Jay Gordon, or several other pseudoscientists, quacks, or other assorted cranks who have provided me with blogging material over the last five years. However, whether he’s mangling autism science, postulating dubious “personalized medicine” for Alzheimer’s disease, championing that form of quackery known as “functional medicine,” trying to persuade our legislators to include coverage for alternative medicine in health insurance reform legislation, or, most recently, misrepresenting research, Dr. Hyman is definitely an up-and-comer as far as providing me with grade-A crankery to blog about. For that, I can’t help but be a little bit grateful to him. Truly, he is not only a connoisseur of woo but a constant source of amazingly nonsensensical statements about health.'

Mark Hyman: Mangling cancer research and systems biology in the service of woo
    "I find it profoundly depressing that physicians like Mark Hyman are so capable of being so easily seduced by woo. He’s bought into a whole package of dubious alt-med, repackaged it as “functional medicine,” and sold it as being really and truly scientific. Worse, he’s even managed to sell it in the halls of power, representing functional medicine to alt-med-friendly legislators like Senator Tom Harkin as somehow being the “future” of medicine, real preventative medicine that will actually decrease health care expenditures. Too bad it’s the same old woo in a fancy new science-y package." Source: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/11/09/mark-hyman-mangling-cancer-research/

As far as detox scams -- all of them -- are nothing but imaginary cures to imaginary problems for unspecified ails.

Your kidney works just fine in removing the everyday arsenic, mercury, or other metals floating around in your bloodstream.

If you are indeed poisoned by any of those listed above, an OTC is not going to remediate it.
  • rjanke
    rjanke Posts: 3 Member

Strong first post.

Yeah, I've refrained from posting for a while, but the frustration boiled over. This person was just asking for help. I probably won't make posting a habit.

Internet forums can be a drain
  • PRMinx

Strong first post.

Yeah, I've refrained from posting for a while, but the frustration boiled over. This person was just asking for help. I probably won't make posting a habit.

They are typically a drain for people who are defensive, or only want to hear what they believe to be true.

People in this thread are just having a little fun because it's a funny name. No harm, no foul. And, no, we don't support fad diets because most of them are not based in science and are only marketing gimmicks to separate people from their hard earned money.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

Strong first post.

agree 100%
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Hello all,
    Today, my physician recommended I try the 10 Day Detox Diet as outlined in the book by Dr. Mark Hyman. I've searched the message boards already, and found a lot about juice cleansing.

Have you tried this particular program? What were your results?

Thank you!

I'd get a new physician if he's recommending quack detoxes

Most physicians I know would never recommend that for so many pathophysiological reasons.......in the past 24 yrs... I know the only one they encouraged was the veggie soup for pre-cardiac surgery on people that it would be beneficial to lose about 20# before surgery..
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Isn't that a body part??
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    So. Many. Jokes.

Thought the same thing....
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    This is an old post, but I was searching for info on it as well. This 'fad' has worked for me. It had enough structure so I knew what to do. It also lowered all my numbers. His book also talks about the mental part, which is so often neglected. While I certainly don't subscribe to all of his theories, or follow it to the letter anymore, I do base much of my diet around his principles. This diet is neither low carb, nor low calorie. Yes, it makes you eat clean, but with this you avoid all dairy and grains. To th OP, I hope you gave it a shot and leaned something.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    OP the sarcasm is because there have been lits if threads on this diet. Most regulars here discourage people from doing fad diets. These diets are very restrictive and hence work only short term. The best way to manage your diet is by eating healthy 80% if times. And also make sure calories in < calories out. If you have diabetes, you should go to a certified dietician who will see your blood work and current eating habits and tailor a proper diet for you.
  • theIronDad
    theIronDad Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2015
    I think people should give Dr. Hyman at least a look without pre-judging. The way Dr. Hyman used the word 'detox' is sort of a deceiving. Normally, when I think of detox, I think of gimicks or fads of taking teas or potions etc. that would make me poop constantly. But that is not the case with his. What this detox consists of is for the first 10 days, you cut out sugar, flour, gluten, alcohol, dairy, processed food, pastas, breads and caffeine. The ideas behind this is to eliminate brain fog, inflammations, and eliminate the cravings. He also says that there are a lot of people out there living with food allergies and they don't know it. So after the 10 days are over, you can ease in each of those things and if you do have some sort of dramatic reaction, that could uncover and ah-ha moment to where it's possible you have a food allergy. He promises that you will feel better after the 10 days and you'll think more clearly.

I doubted Dr. Hyman but just wanted to prove a point that he was some quack nut job by at least experimenting and trying it. I already felt good and didn't believe I could feel any better. So I went ahead with a chip on my shoulder and just tried it thinking that I would just go back to the way I was eating before after the 10 days were complete. After the first 3 days, I felt hungry and really missed the bread and pasta carbs. But into the 4th day, I started to feel really good, my energy level was up and I did feel like I could think so much more clearly! I would eat some of his recipes from the book I had and they were really good!

So after the 10 days were up, you can ease some of those things back in but to tell you the truth, my taste buds did change to where I didn't crave bread or pizza or pasta anymore. I wanted greens, lean meats and whole food. That is what appealed to me. So I kept going. Within 6 months I had lost 30 pounds.

I don't work for Dr. Hyman or get any kind of commission. I 'm just a huge fan of his. He practices functional medicine. In other words, he believes that a lot of the diseases today can be treated and even cured through the diet. So to whoever the lady was that had diabetes and wanted to know opinions, I would say to you that I'm not a doctor, but judging from the way I feel, listen to your doctor. I ended up buying another book of his with a cookbook called Ultra-Metabolic. The recipes are fantastic and I feel like I want to eat this way for the rest of my life.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Dr. Hyman is a regular on Oz. 'nuff said.
    rjanke wrote: »

This is the BEST online community for weight loss that i've found. The successful people here know what's what and cut straight through the bull. That's why they're successful.

The reason so many people fail at weight loss or have a hard time losing weight is because of all the bull.