I discovered the secret to losing weight.102lbs in 10 mos

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    I very seldom even eat back half of the additional calories I burn through exercise.
    Yeah, and?
    This isn't a secret.
    My doctor told me to ignore exercise or "net" calories, just eat below my actual calorie goal (10 x my healthy goal weight).
    It's working quite well for me.

Once in a while, if I'm still hungry at the end of the day, I'll have 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories, but it's rare.

Did he also recommend raspberry ketones? ;-)

Chill, the "secret" reference was a tongue & cheek inference.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Well then maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have just finished the first month of the insanity workout I try to run or walk 3.5 to 4 miles 5 nights a week. I stick to 1200 calories a day give or take 100 I don't eat my exercise calories back I did first few weeks not understanding how it worked. I weigh the same I drop 4 lbs and the next day it's back just back an forth. I know it's only been a month but would have thought that I would have some success. Can you help me?
    you need to eat more. seriosly. go up to 1500 a day and you will see results
    If she's not losing weight eating at 1200 cal, she's not going to lose weight at 1500 cal.
    Losing weight is a matter of eating fewer calories than your body burns.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I very seldom even eat back half of the additional calories I burn through exercise.
    Yeah, and?
    This isn't a secret.
    My doctor told me to ignore exercise or "net" calories, just eat below my actual calorie goal (10 x my healthy goal weight).
    It's working quite well for me.
    Once in a while, if I'm still hungry at the end of the day, I'll have 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories, but it's rare.
    Did he also recommend raspberry ketones? ;-)
    Chill, the "secret" reference was a tongue & cheek inference.
    Nope, he's a real doctor, an endocrinologist, & in charge of the weight loss clinic at the hospital. Other than trying to convince me that setting my goal weight at the top end of a healthy BMI range is too low for me, what he's said makes sense.

But I see I completely missed your joke... easy to do on the interwebs.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    That's amazing! :) I'm happy you found what works for you!!! :happy:
  • sjmoran
    sjmoran Posts: 31 Member
    Um, ooooooook. :huh:

OP found a lifestyle that works for him and lost over 100 lbs and that is what you are going to say.... Anyway on a positive note congrats.

Agreed. Way to go! and good to know!
  • Pixydin
    Pixydin Posts: 14
    Also agree not to eat back your exercise calories! Great job losing wt.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Well then maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have just finished the first month of the insanity workout I try to run or walk 3.5 to 4 miles 5 nights a week. I stick to 1200 calories a day give or take 100 I don't eat my exercise calories back I did first few weeks not understanding how it worked. I weigh the same I drop 4 lbs and the next day it's back just back an forth. I know it's only been a month but would have thought that I would have some success. Can you help me?

I'm not sure if someone else responded. However! Whenever you start a fitness program, or even change your eating habits, your body needs time to adjust. If you are starting by working out most days of the week, measuring your foods and such with it, you might not be eating enough. Your body is like a car and the food is obviously the fuel. If you don't fuel your car with enough gas, it won't go. Same with your body. You need enough food to fuel your body. MFP and myself included would recommend actually eating back your exercise calories.

When you sign up for MFP, you input your numbers and goals in, and MFP does the calculations to give you your daily calorie goals. With that specific number, MFP also already gives you a deficit. So, since most new MFP users want to lose weight quickly, they choose the option to "lose 2 pounds a week". Therefore, most people start at 1200. If you were just eating 1200 with no activity, you'd lose weight because there would be a deficit. If you exercise and burn 200 calories, your net calories would be 1000 calories. After so long of shorting your body by not eating back your exercise calories, your body might freak out and hold onto the weight.

I struggle with being obsessed with the scale! However, people recommend not weighing yourself every single day. Your weight can fluctuate from so many different factors (what you've eaten and had to drink that day, water retention from eating high-sodium foods, water weight retention from doing a hard work-out the day before, whether you have...fully expelled your bodily fluids, what you are even wearing). I still weigh in frequently, but I don't input my numbers unless there is a loss.

Some tips that have personally helped me that you could use:

1.) Don't weigh in later in the day or even at night---weigh in in the morning, after the food from the previous days has processed and after you fully use the restroom, and weigh in without clothes on.

2.) Don't weigh in the day after a really hard work-out. Your body is repairing itself during your rest days & it could be holding onto water.

3.) Take a couple weeks to get into the habit of tracking ALL of your foods. If you can, measure and/or weigh things out. It takes a person about two weeks to develop a habit. It took me about a month to start regularly track my foods. It eventually becomes second nature.

4.) Get a tape measure!!! Measurements can speak so many volumes even when the scale won't budge. If you are losing inches and your clothes are fitting better, awesome job! The weight WILL eventually go down. How are you feeling? Hopefully better by being more active.

I don't know if I am explaining this very well, but I have read so many forums and articles. This is my second time using MFP, and both times, with calorie counting, exercise, cleaner eating (with eating back my calories), I have lost 20 pounds. Everyone has to find a rhythm or a method that works for them. What works for me won't work for others and vice versa. Good job with starting Insanity! Good luck in your journey!

To the OP: Congrats, Scott! That is such an awesome loss! I respect that you have found a system that works for you. Keep up the great work!
  • ScottH_200
    Thanks!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    No one was "caught backpedaling" one again as I said I thought he was making a comparitive statement and was confused. Hence the "huh?' Smiley. Now, back to the topic and get on with it.
    Eta: reported. Off topic, raising/causing drama, irrelavent to topic.

Me thinks the lady has doth unduly escalated said such comments once first comment recieved the reprisal such a comment would indubitably gather.

(Don't mind me, I'm just observing and stating the obvious.).

Off topic: congratulations OP!!!!!!!
  • pcknits
    pcknits Posts: 33 Member
    Great job! Very inspirational. I too do not deny myself something if I really want it, but I do count everything. I could not wrap my head around cheat days either.
  • manshusgr
    manshusgr Posts: 30 Member
    GOOD JOB
  • ScottH_200
    Thanks again.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Mine was walking but to each his own I guess
  • ScottH_200
    Mine was walking but to each his own I guess

I've incorporated walking into my routine as well, walking 100 miles a month (sometimes more) on average.

Congrats to you!
  • Way to go !!!!!
  • ScottH_200
    Well, I figured I'd bump this thread as I'm now down 115 lbs. 20 lbs to goal ;-)
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Great job - thank you for the inspiration
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    I agree about the cheat meals. Spend all week planning what you are going to have your one cheat meal a week. Nope. I just eat the same way every day. Unless I am going out to a restaurant and having something I don't usually have. Like Chicago pizza! What can I say, I live in Chicago. I don't go out to restaurants very often, thank goodness. Many times I pass up invitations to go out. Just too much temptation for me at this point. Sometimes I can go out to dinner and eat moderately.

My biggest problem staying true to my good eating is when I go on vacation.
  • ScottH_200
    Great job - thank you for the inspiration

Thanks and you are welcome.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    I would think 1200 calories isnt enough to be honest. Maybe you aren't eating enough so your body is holding onto the fat, just a thought because Im no expert and only just starting back on here after having lost 20 and gained it back. I am going to try to do what this guy does though!:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!